• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RyaN_84

Thornton suspended 15 games.

Rate this topic

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no problem with the 15 games, I think to me the alarming thing, is the league believes the difference between Neal (a repeat offender) and Thornton (no prior history) acts is 10 games. That's ridiculous, if Thorntons penalty is 15, Neal should've gotten 10. Star player or not.

In response to Detroit #1 (cause the quote function is still broken for whatever reason for me)

Not only that, but the league feels that this is 15 games, but Emery attacking someone the same way except with gloves OFF, which is worse, is worthy of zero games. The league is a complete joke when it comes to suspensions.

In response to Detroit #1 (cause the quote function is still broken for whatever reason for me)

Not only that, but the league feels that this is 15 games, but Emery attacking someone the same way except with gloves OFF, which is worse, is worthy of zero games. The league is a complete joke when it comes to suspensions.

Well the league doesn't want to anger mighty Mario L. maybe just maybe the best owner in all of sports should hire Gretzky.

I would have been fine with 15 IF the ratio would have been there, but it's not. Neal is a repeat offender, did something really disgusting and got away with 5?! What Thornton did was way worse sure but NOT 10 games worse add to that how leaguewide known thug got nothing for assaulting someone, there just is no rational thinking behind these suspensions.

If I'm Chiarelli I'd be waiting for the next meeting and go Islandersstyle against the Penguins then the league will have something to look at ...*g*

i dont think that hit was clean at all. clearly interference but not suspension worthy.

eriksson never touched the puck and got hammered.

If you jump over to the other Thornton thread, you'll find a link I posted to the Orpik hit. It's got the video in slow motion and clearly shows that Eriksson did touch the puck. I'll agree that Orpik was hitting him whether he touched it or not, but almost by pure accident Eriksson did touch it. No suspension, no penalty, good call. HaroldSnepts put it best, the hit wasn't illegal or dirty, but it was definitely predatory. That's true, but there's nothing wrong with predatory hits...cough, cough...Kronwall.

Shanny basing his decisions solely on outcomes/the injury, as per usual. Don't know why Neal only got 5 games for doing exactly the same thing, just with his knee.

Because Thornton is Thornton and Neal is Neal (i.e. enforcer / 40-goal scorer). I mean, obviously that's an oversimplification - but you get the point.

That's how the NHL sees it but that doesn't mean it's right.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying, it's an "unfair fair" system. If two similar crimes are committed, and only one guy is seriously punished...chances are, one guy is a Thornton and the other guy is a Neal. Is that right? Nope. Is it the way it is? Yup.

Ok - dumb question here...

By appealing the league's ruling of a 15 game suspension - does Thornton risk further 'wrath' from the league (read Bettman) if he were to face future disciplinary measures?

I seem to recall in Probert's book - Uncle Gary tends to take things personally, and tends to carry a grudge.

If that were the case - if I were Thornton - I'd seriously re-consider - keep my trap shut - and work out/keep fit - be ready to be a teammate on the ice after my 15 games were up.

The Midget can't, but if he goes to the arbitrator it can be reduced or increased. Having to go through Bettman is just so stupid unreal, the guy doesn't know anything about the sport or the code so why bother? For sure he is not going to overrule Shanahan, as of today Thornton will have 11 games left.

So Honoured Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and current NHL Vice President of Player Safety B. Shanahan's decision on the length of suspension was based on:

two-minute roughing penalty Thornton received for trying to get Orpik to fight as a sign of premeditation.

Let's say Thornton didn't receive the earlier minor penalty; does that suggest that Thornton's suspension would have been less than the one he received?

Ok - dumb question here...

By appealing the league's ruling of a 15 game suspension - does Thornton risk further 'wrath' from the league (read Bettman) if he were to face future disciplinary measures?

I seem to recall in Probert's book - Uncle Gary tends to take things personally, and tends to carry a grudge.

If that were the case - if I were Thornton - I'd seriously re-consider - keep my trap shut - and work out/keep fit - be ready to be a teammate on the ice after my 15 games were up.

Not a dumb question at all; a fine article from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail , on the possible importance of this particular appeal.

I've also discovered a common thread in the appeal process thus far: Loui Eriksson.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

From NHL:

Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 15-game suspension that was assessed to Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in NHL Game No. 438 at Boston on Dec. 7.