Photo
- - - - -

Thornton suspended 15 games.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Thornton suspended 15 games.

Do you approve the 15 game suspension?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

I am still confused as to how Orpik was injured. I have watched the play 20 times. He doesn't hit his head on the ice, he doesn't get punched by anything more than short rabbit punches and his head doesn't appear to snap back at all. I don't think Orpik is faking it but what happened ?

Also, if he gets 15 games why did Emery get zero ? That was an attack in my opinion.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

15 games seems fair considering what went down.

That said - I hope Marchand squares off with Neal, and later on this season Thornton hits Orpik hard against the boards every chance he gets.

You know, given your predilection for the fighting part of the game, I'm actually impressed with how even handed this post was.  Kudos to you for recognizing that what happened was unacceptable, and giving a reasonable assessment of what should have happened based on your preferred interpretation of the game.  While I disagree, I can at least respect you logic...and that is nice considering how things have been around here recently.  Good f****** post man.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Neal should have gotten 10 games for not winding up and kicking Marchand. Little s*** deserves it.

#24 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

I am still confused as to how Orpik was injured. I have watched the play 20 times. He doesn't hit his head on the ice, he doesn't get punched by anything more than short rabbit punches and his head doesn't appear to snap back at all. I don't think Orpik is faking it but what happened ?

If you watch it closely, Thornton catches Orpik right on the chin with the first (gloved) punch, by the time he hits Orpik with the second (bare fisted) punch Orpik is already out cold.

Edited by Nev, 15 December 2013 - 04:40 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#25 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

Thornton is going to appeal http://www.csnne.com...on-little-harsh

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#26 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Orpik should have got suspended for a clean hit that wasn't even assessed a penalty?  Okay.

i dont think that hit was clean at all.  clearly interference but not suspension worthy.

eriksson never touched the puck and got hammered.

naked is a state of mind

#27 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

If you watch it closely, Thornton catches Orpik right on the chin with the first (gloved) punch, by the time he hits Orpik with the second (bare fisted) punch Orpik is already out cold.

I'm sure if Thornton knew he was out cold, he would have stopped.

#28 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thornton is going to appeal http://www.csnne.com...on-little-harsh

Kick his ass Sea Bass!!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#29 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have no problem with the 15 games, I think to me the alarming thing, is the league believes the difference between Neal (a repeat offender) and Thornton (no prior history) acts is 10 games. That's ridiculous, if Thorntons penalty is 15, Neal should've gotten 10. Star player or not.

#NOMOREKINDL

#30 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

In response to Detroit #1 (cause the quote function is still broken for whatever reason for me)

Not only that, but the league feels that this is 15 games, but Emery attacking someone the same way except with gloves OFF, which is worse, is worthy of zero games.  The league is a complete joke when it comes to suspensions.

#31 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

In response to Detroit #1 (cause the quote function is still broken for whatever reason for me)

Not only that, but the league feels that this is 15 games, but Emery attacking someone the same way except with gloves OFF, which is worse, is worthy of zero games.  The league is a complete joke when it comes to suspensions.

Well the league doesn't want to anger mighty Mario L. maybe just maybe the best owner in all of sports should hire Gretzky.

I would have been fine with 15 IF the ratio would have been there, but it's not. Neal is a repeat offender, did something really disgusting and got away with 5?! What Thornton did was way worse sure but NOT 10 games worse add to that how leaguewide known thug got nothing for assaulting someone, there just is no rational thinking behind these suspensions.

If I'm Chiarelli I'd be waiting for the next meeting and go Islandersstyle against the Penguins then the league will have something to look at ...*g*

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#32 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Broken you say?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#33 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Yes broken for me.  I just quoted you in this post.  No quote shows up though.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Seems about right. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Shanny basing his decisions solely on outcomes/the injury, as per usual. Don't know why Neal only got 5 games for doing exactly the same thing, just with his knee.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

i dont think that hit was clean at all.  clearly interference but not suspension worthy.

eriksson never touched the puck and got hammered.

If you jump over to the other Thornton thread, you'll find a link I posted to the Orpik hit.  It's got the video in slow motion and clearly shows that Eriksson did touch the puck.  I'll agree that Orpik was hitting him whether he touched it or not, but almost by pure accident Eriksson did touch it.  No suspension, no penalty, good call.  HaroldSnepts put it best, the hit wasn't illegal or dirty, but it was definitely predatory.  That's true, but there's nothing wrong with predatory hits...cough, cough...Kronwall.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Shanny basing his decisions solely on outcomes/the injury, as per usual. Don't know why Neal only got 5 games for doing exactly the same thing, just with his knee.

Because Thornton is Thornton and Neal is Neal (i.e. enforcer / 40-goal scorer). I mean, obviously that's an oversimplification - but you get the point.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Either one is too long or the other is too short
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#39 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Because Thornton is Thornton and Neal is Neal (i.e. enforcer / 40-goal scorer). I mean, obviously that's an oversimplification - but you get the point.

That's how the NHL sees it but that doesn't mean it's right.

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

That's how the NHL sees it but that doesn't mean it's right.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying, it's an "unfair fair" system. If two similar crimes are committed, and only one guy is seriously punished...chances are, one guy is a Thornton and the other guy is a Neal. Is that right? Nope. Is it the way it is? Yup.

Don't Toews me, bro!