Photo
- - - - -

Thornton suspended 15 games.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Thornton suspended 15 games.

Do you approve the 15 game suspension?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ok - dumb question here...

By appealing the league's ruling of a 15 game suspension - does Thornton risk further 'wrath' from the league (read Bettman) if he were to face future disciplinary measures?

I seem to recall in Probert's book - Uncle Gary tends to take things personally, and tends to carry a grudge.

If that were the case - if I were Thornton - I'd seriously re-consider - keep my trap shut - and work out/keep fit - be ready to be a teammate on the ice after my 15 games were up.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

By appealing the league's ruling of a 15 game suspension - does Thornton risk further 'wrath' from the league (read Bettman) if he were to face future disciplinary measures?

I seem to recall in Probert's book - Uncle Gary tends to take things personally, and tends to carry a grudge.

If that were the case - if I were Thornton - I'd seriously re-consider - keep my trap shut - and work out/keep fit - be ready to be a teammate on the ice after my 15 games were up.

The Midget can't, but if he goes to the arbitrator it can be reduced or increased. Having to go through Bettman is just so stupid unreal, the guy doesn't know anything about the sport or the code so why bother? For sure he is not going to overrule Shanahan, as of today Thornton will have 11 games left.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

So Honoured Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and current NHL Vice President of Player Safety B. Shanahan's decision on the length of suspension was based on:

two-minute roughing penalty Thornton received for trying to get Orpik to fight as a sign of premeditation.

Let's say Thornton didn't receive the earlier minor penalty; does that suggest that Thornton's suspension would have been less than the one he received?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Not a dumb question at all; a fine article from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail , on the possible importance of this particular appeal. 

I've also discovered a common thread in the appeal process thus far: Loui Eriksson.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 16 December 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#45 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

From NHL:

Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 15-game suspension that was assessed to Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in NHL Game No. 438 at Boston on Dec. 7.

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 15-game suspension that was assessed to Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent, Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins, in NHL Game No. 438 at Boston on Dec. 7.

No surprises here.

'Evolution' created by Offsides