• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Leafs/Wings 24/7 Episode 1 Discussion (12/14)

Rate this topic

Bert drinking the Corona...I can't stand the stuff, but whatever...

I liked the picture of Pasha sound asleep on the plane...I wonder what he was listening to that put him out? Maybe I need to get a hold of it to be able to sleep at night. It's been so long since I've had a good night's sleep I wouldn't know what one was if it came up and kicked me.

I thought it was pretty damn good, aside from it showcasing them being terrible at hockey haha. It's pretty interesting to see behind the scenes and what's really said between players and coaches. Tatar tot was hilarious, and seeing Pavel knocked out on the plane was pretty great. Hopefully in the next episode he gets some interview time. It would also be nice to see the highlights of them actually winning a damn game. I guess we gotta be thankful that the Leafs didn't look any better in this episode : )

Guest Playmaker

Injured?

Love this show, not sure what you guys were expecting. Tatar reading the lineup was hilarious. Phaneuf is like the villainous boyfriend of the dorky guy's love interest in a rom-com. In the end I think Kessel gets Elisha.

Babcock behind the scenes is great. "I thought the league wanted MORE goals!". Also this should probably clear up that he's not to blame (too much) for the team sitting back on leads.

I only hope they waste less time in coming episodes on slow-motion montages set to (admittedly great) emotionally evocative music. I want a bit more lockerroom stuff and seeing what the guys do outside the rink, great moment with Helmer & Co. out at dinner.

I was expecting less of the predictable canned interviews and questions, How does Stephen Weiss feel about returning to Florida, what's it like to play for an original 6 team, what do you think of Pavel Datsyuk, and more "day in the life" type stuff. FSD did a special last year a "behind the scenes" type thing, and I thought it was done much better than this was, just no f words. Similarly, NHLN did a 24 hours with Nick Lidstrom and it was also more "behind the scenes" and gave much more insight than this special did. I expected much more from HBO. I also wanted less Maple Leafs and more Red Wings ;)

To be clear, I thought it was great. Beautifully done, the cinematography and soundtrack and brilliant little moments here and there. But it has a slightly different overall feel than what I think everyone was expecting. Maybe it's because these are two Original Six franchises. Maybe they want to make it more classy, straightforward, a little more like a "serious" documentary than a hardcore fan's all-out wet dream. Maybe a little more about the Human Drama than "How many times did he say f***?"

I guess what I'm saying is it felt grown-up, PC, non-gimmicky - which is, perhaps, the opposite of what we were expecting. But it's still fantastic stuff.

I figured you all would enjoy this

That is a treasure...

To those of you who thought it was boring...if you want drama queens, go back to Pittsburgh and film there. They have a plethora of divas there. We're just wanting to get work done and win some games.

Datsyuk came off the injury tho and I would have liked to seen a few words from him. I thought HBO would take advantage of the injured players and have more time with them (Zetterberg for instance). Cmon I want to see behind the scenes stuff about two of the best players in the world!

Then again Dats and Zet lack of coverage could be because they're quiet guys in general..

Edited by kickazz

To my surprise I really liked it, HBO didn't go into too much private stuff. Man, Phaneuf has outstanding "dressing room" and a damn nice house/wife. The best part to me was showing Danny K., Helm, Howard? at the bar discussing what they are going to order and when Pasha would be back.

Man, if Carlyle and Babcock are really doing their intermission and pre speeches in such a tempo, I'd find it hard to really remember everything. It's like do this and that ok? Let's go how can new players/young ones perform to the expectations if these speeches are done sooooo fast?

Guest Playmaker

That is a treasure...

To those of you who thought it was boring...if you want drama queens, go back to Pittsburgh and film there. They have a plethora of divas there. We're just wanting to get work done and win some games.

What does thinking it was boring and wanting drama queens have to do with anything? Nick Lidstrom was hardly a diva, but watching the "day in the life" special with him was far more interesting than this was. It gave much more of a feel of the daily grind, the schedules they keep, being on the road, keeping up with the family,the training involved and what not. Same with the Fox Sports Detroit special.

This show just felt choppy and thrown together. To me, they switched from one storyline to the next too quickly and didn't spend enough time on the things that were interesting. I didn't get the feel that it was "all access" or behind the scenes at all. Most of it felt planned and a little staged. Maybe the later episodes will be better.

Guest Playmaker

hate reading reviews like this puckdaddy http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hbo-24-7-red-wings-maple-leafs-ep-150836028--nhl.html

i know this team isnt stevie/shanny etc as far as personalities go but come on cut us some slack

I hate to say it, but I agree with the review 100%. He pretty much nailed it. I'm glad someone else noticed the ridiculous "hostile crowd" comment, which consisted of one fan (either a 400 lb woman or a teen boy going through puberty) yelling "Detroit sucks!" Also agreed with restaurant scene evaluation. I felt like I was watching another Detroit Edison commercial with Drapes and Ozzie. The acting was similar.

I'm afraid I agree... but hope the next episode is much better. Watching Carlyle complain about healthy food options and trying to electrocute himself on a weird looking toaster? Not so much.

More interviews with actual players = not Weiss. Whoever got the idea that Weiss playing against the Panthers -- which we saw more of than the Wings in this episode -- was a big deal??? Non-story.

I will say the coverage was even-handed regarding which team has been worse this season, the Wings or the Leafs. :lol:

The other 24/7s have been much better productions. Hopefully, this will get better, much like our current luck on the ice. ;)

The segment with Helm, Abs, Quincey and Smith was one of the most fakest things I've seen on TV. Really? A conversation about Datsyuk? God try to be more original. Obviously it was a set-up conversation. Probably HBO camera guys fed up of not getting crap for coverage and told em to talk about Datsyuk or something. The Alfredsson segment was much better. He was very natural and so were his kids (little goofballs) that's the kind of stuff you want to see. Not fake conversations for the cameras...

haha Thanks!

The segment with Helm, Abs, Quincey and Smith was one of the most fakest things I've seen on TV. Really? A conversation about Datsyuk? God try to be more original. Obviously it was a set-up conversation. Probably HBO camera guys fed up of not getting crap for coverage and told em to talk about Datsyuk or something. The Alfredsson segment was much better. He was very natural and so were his kids (little goofballs) that's the kind of stuff you want to see. Not fake conversations for the cameras...

I doubt HBO actually suggested it, but it did seem forced and unnatural. Like they were thinking "Oh s*** they're filming us, we need something to talk about!"

Edited by roboturner