• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Can't remember the last time we were this pathetic

Rate this topic

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

Exactly. People seem to forget how good this team was beginning to play before the injury bug hit. And that was without Datsyuk! Up front this roster is every bit as good as that 2008 team, if not better. The defense is the big difference, of course. But they are young and I am confident that they will just keep getting better to form a very solid blue line. It is really bad right now because the lines are changing almost on a per game basis, so that is gonna make it difficult to find goals.

But hey, the kids are playing, and they are learning. It will make this team all the better for it when we get players back.

Don't forget injuries have been ridiculous. That may have a little something to do with it. There's nothing wrong with the core of this team just all the talent isn't playing right now

Babs should be able to figure out how to net a goal or two here and there though

Injuries or not, the players who are being called up need to contribute. Other teams have injuries yet, they are pressing on.

The roster and farm system isn't producing the talent needed to win in the NHL. That falls entirely at Hollands' feet.

Gotta love LGW during the rough times.

It's as if 90% of you completely forget last season.

I didn't.We were great in the Playoffs playing kids,while Sammy and Bert were in the press box.Not much later the same kids won Calder Cup,but the same old geezers got an advantage over the same kids

Prior posters have said it well. The team is missing three of its normal centers (Helm, Weiss, Andy), and what amounts to three of its nominal top six (Franzen, Z, Helm). That's an entire scoring line, gone. Add to that the extraordinary significance of missing Dekeyser on an otherwise weak defense corps, and it's no surprise that the team isn't generating offense. Find me another team in the league that could handle losing that amount of firepower without missing a step or two. You won't, with the possible exception of Chicago and Pittsburgh.

This team iced a power play line the other night of Eaves-Tatar-Cleary. That was the #2 power play unit. Consider that for a moment, and wonder why a goal wasn't scored. Things will turn around when bodies start coming off the IR list.

There will still be a glut of talentless, worn-out fourth-liners like Cleary and Sammy, but at least there will be some firepower to help balance it out. I'd rather see the team styled after the Ducks/Bruins former cup-winning squads and have some proper grit on the bottom six as opposed to this can't-score-but-can't-hit-either mashup of soft players without offensive acumen. It's not in the cards this season.

I didn't.We were great in the Playoffs playing kids,while Sammy and Bert were in the press box.Not much later the same kids won Calder Cup,but the same old geezers got an advantage over the same kids

I'd blame Babcock for that. Holland drafted and developed these young guys everybody loves. Babs is the one who decides the lineup and line combos. I don't think this lineup when healthy has any holes in the forward department. Defense on the other hand is an issue but the future looks bright. These are rebuilding times. I wonder what would happen here if the wings tanked to get draft picks like some of you had wanted

Is it that surprising we signed too much depth after all the inuries (most in the league) we had last year?

Not to mention guys familiar with our system who have had success here in the past.

It's a long season. Plugs (Cleary,Sammy) will plug holes in our lineup as injuries/life occurs but I'm confident the right guys will play come playoffs. Just like they did last year.

Injuries or not, the players who are being called up need to contribute. Other teams have injuries yet, they are pressing on.

The roster and farm system isn't producing the talent needed to win in the NHL. That falls entirely at Hollands' feet.

What other teams are "pressing on" through injuries half as bad as the Wings have?

Is it that surprising we signed too much depth after all the inuries (most in the league) we had last year?

Too much like you've said.What's wrong with giving kids more shots like the rest of the league do?

This way you have the whole 4th line buried in the minors+plugs on a current roster.

What other teams are "pressing on" through injuries half as bad as the Wings have?

I've heard this too many times in the last few years. It's actually true. At least seems like it.

When a team is so injured every year, you know the team is either soft, the trainers suck balls, or we need someone who will stick up for our guys.

Too much like you've said.What's wrong with giving kids more shots like the rest of the league do?

This way you have the whole 4th line buried in the minors+plugs on a current roster.

I just think the team would rather be in the position to choose to play them in the top 6 rather than have to.

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

Yeah, and Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser and Mzarak were also SIX years younger....which made some of them not able to legally drive an automobile :) It's a moot argument because it's a different team and the young core, Nyquist and Deke are the future here in Motown. We are missing literally half a team and you can't just bring up a guy like Jurco and expect him to gel with Pavel having played ....well, never with him.

I agree with you that we would be better....much, much better with Z, Mule, Deke, Howard, Weiss and Abby in the line up but as others have said, I'm not going to panic until April. Anything can happen and when we lost all those guys in 08, I don't think anyone suspected we could rebound and win the cup. This is a talented team who have gone through a LOT of changes over the last 3 years.....we have no idea what they are capable of because we have yet to have a completely healthy line up since the season started. Frustrating to watch but it's given us an opportunity to see what our young guns can do.

Let's see where we are after the Winter Classic. That will be the true measuring stick.

s***zburgh

Columbus

Boston

Tampa

There's only one team that list that Detroit is better than at full strength (Columbus). Yet all of them are playing better than the Wings are with many key pieces for each team that is out.

s***zburgh

Columbus

Boston

Tampa

There's only one team that list that Detroit is better than at full strength (Columbus). Yet all of them are playing better than the Wings are with many key pieces for each team that is out.

Pittsburgh's got the two best players in the world up front. As long as they're both healthy they can cope with most injuries. I wouldn't say they have as many quality players out of the lineup as we have either. But sure, it's impressive that they're not struggling at all with so many d-men out.

Tampa's not doing much better than us. They're 5-3-2 and we're 4-4-2. Once again, other than Stamkos and Hedman they're not missing as many valuable pieces as we are.

Boston? Eriksson and Iginla are good players but that's like us being without Franzen and Alfie, which we would easily survive. Other than that they're not terribly hit.

Columbus? I'm not really aware what injuries they have, but they're 13th in the conference so maybe in their case injuries offer a shakeup to improve their play? Anyway, again, they're not exactly dominating with their 5-4-1 record.

Exactly and who is making those calls? Then again, it's not like anyone in Detroit can figure it out when those in charge are losers. Whether its sports, government or auto companies, it takes a meltdown to recognize mediocrity not to mention incompetence in leadership. Dream on homers!

Edited by lwing

It's doom and gloom time on LGW. The fact is we're injured. Fill the roster with our regular players plus Nyquist and Tatar and we have a very competitive roster. Remember we pushed the Stanley cup champs to 7 games without Helm and Dekeyser.

Pittsburgh's got the two best players in the world up front. As long as they're both healthy they can cope with most injuries. I wouldn't say they have as many quality players out of the lineup as we have either. But sure, it's impressive that they're not struggling at all with so many d-men out.

Tampa's not doing much better than us. They're 5-3-2 and we're 4-4-2. Once again, other than Stamkos and Hedman they're not missing as many valuable pieces as we are.

Boston? Eriksson and Iginla are good players but that's like us being without Franzen and Alfie, which we would easily survive. Other than that they're not terribly hit.

Columbus? I'm not really aware what injuries they have, but they're 13th in the conference so maybe in their case injuries offer a shakeup to improve their play? Anyway, again, they're not exactly dominating with their 5-4-1 record.

I give the Pens and Bolts credit. The former aren't exactly known for their defense, yet they're getting it done without almost their entire top four, and then some. And Stamkos basically is the Lightning; it's impressive that they're doing as well as they are without him. One could argue they're better now than we were when we were mostly healthy.

I give the Pens and Bolts credit. The former aren't exactly known for their defense, yet they're getting it done without almost their entire top four, and then some. And Stamkos basically is the Lightning; it's impressive that they're doing as well as they are without him. One could argue they're better now than we were when we were mostly healthy.

Stamkos may be hurt, but St. Louis isn't. His enormous contribution to that team is lost in Stamkos' greatness.

Weren't we like 5-0 after Datsyuk went down? The Lightning aren't doing that good, they're surviving. The numbers before and after Stamkos got hurt are night and day. Maybe because they just beat us it may seem like they're not struggling.

Weren't we like 5-0 after Datsyuk went down? The Lightning aren't doing that good, they're surviving. The numbers before and after Stamkos got hurt are night and day. Maybe because they just beat us it may seem like they're not struggling.

We did well after Datsyuk went down, but, on the whole, we've been a fairly bumbling team (shootout losses, blown leads, not winning games we should win, lack of any secondary scoring for a stretch, general lack of scoring, godawful play in our own zone). I'm not saying the Bolts haven't been struggling, and I'm not honestly saying that an injured Bolts team is better than a healthy Wings team. I just give the Bolts a lot of credit. Few thought they'd even be competitive, let alone doing what they're doing and now managing to stay afloat without Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman.