• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Can't remember the last time we were this pathetic

Rate this topic

Again injuries are not a surprise. many of us talked about that happening in the east. guess what, it is. we did not add enough size and toughness just to make it through the grind of more physical play. Forget about fighting, that is not what I am talking about. How about some forwards that can actually stand in front of the other teams G and pick up the trash. None of our current group can do that at a high level anymore. bert is to old, franzen is well....., and the rest are to small. Same thing with crashing into the corners for lose pucks. These are things that the best teams do every night all game long. We don't and we don't have anyone coming over the next couple of years that do it either. That means trades for guys like Ryan that we passed on or signing UFA's like Clarkson that we didn't even talk to. Instead we go out and spend more money on guys like Alfie, Cleary, didn't buyout Franzen, etc......... Don't get me started on Weiss......

Seriously, enough of this nonsense. List for me these "tough Eastern Conference teams" that people keep mentioning? The only team that may *MAY* be tougher than the big teams in the west is Boston. Outside of Boston the West is a physically superior conference.

I don't think Holland is the problem. No one could have foreseen how truly bad Weiss, Samuelsson, Cleary, and Quincey have been. Sammy has had success here and elsewhere. Cleary's success in the playoffs seems to be purely a fluke. Quincey had success everywhere but here. Weiss was Florida's #1 star, yet he's nothing here. IMO those are the glaring problems and they seem to be rooted in the system being a problem or our pro scouts being a problem.

That is buls***! Weiss some complained, but I will grant you nobody thought the signing was this bad. Sammy, Q, and especially Cleary. Everyone know they sucked and were terrible choices from the very beginning. The worst of all being Cleary. Get rid of those 3, make Bert the player coming off the bench. Those actions alone will be massive additions by subtractions.

Edited by ben_usmc

When we have Zetterberg, Helm, Weiss, DeKeyser, Howard, Franzen, Abdelkader back in the lineup, in addition to the other players who have missed significant time due to injury like Ericsson, Datsyuk and Bertuzzi, and we still aren't scoring and are losing consistently, then I will get concerned.

^^^ this right here.

It's pure being a spoiled fan if you expect a team to keep crusing like nothing despite being without so many of it's best players. It's a rough stretch but we can't forget how good this team was starting to look before Zetterberg and Helm went down.

Again injuries are not a surprise. many of us talked about that happening in the east. guess what, it is. we did not add enough size and toughness just to make it through the grind of more physical play. Forget about fighting, that is not what I am talking about. How about some forwards that can actually stand in front of the other teams G and pick up the trash. None of our current group can do that at a high level anymore. bert is to old, franzen is well....., and the rest are to small. Same thing with crashing into the corners for lose pucks. These are things that the best teams do every night all game long. We don't and we don't have anyone coming over the next couple of years that do it either. That means trades for guys like Ryan that we passed on or signing UFA's like Clarkson that we didn't even talk to. Instead we go out and spend more money on guys like Alfie, Cleary, didn't buyout Franzen, etc......... Don't get me started on Weiss......

I'm not buying the Eastern Conference made these injuries occur yet. The Red Wings lost the most man games last season playing exclusively against the West. Really every season since 2008 has been marked by significant and numerous injuries.

The Red Wings do need more size, but Holland seems to be addressing that issue in the drafts recently. I just don't think you can look at these injuries and make the conclusion playing in the East is a major factor.

really frustrating time to be a redwings fan , i cant remember a time we been this bad , struggling so bad to score goals and yet we have so much talent on this team , seems lately were lucky if we score 2 goals in a game

And my personal opinion i been sayin for a year now we got too many 4th line type players(thats my nice way of saying garbage players)

cleary samuelsson bertuzzi eaves tootoo miller and now glendening

7 guys id consider 4th liners (not including andersson who id keep) thats way too many , we should be bringing up sheahan/ferraro/callahan guys who are out of waivers to see what they can do instead of bringing up another guy who's reliable but cant create any offense(glendening)

were so pathetic right now we call up a 20 yr old kid in jurco whos playing amazing in the ahl to try and help us out of this disaster (id personally keep him down and let him dominate why chance it and ruin his progress)

anyways all this to say i hope they wake the F up cause i cant remember a time we been this bad hope we turn this thing around

a bit off topic here but im also a cowboys fan so hasnt been a good night or season for that matter

Calling up Jurco had nothing to do with how "pathetic" the Wings are as a team, it has to do with the fact that they currently have injuries to Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Abdelkader, Franzen, etc. So let's not act like Jurco was called up as some savior for this team... the Wings have a pretty terrible injury situation right now, THAT is why these kids are getting called up, not some desperation stunt to save the season.

Edited by hooon

Oh yes the injury card. we are hurt. yes. have been for 5 freaking years! It is only getting worse! You would think someone would try to change that, wouldn't you.......... yes some of the injuries are new-datsyuk, DD, and Abby. but Z has had back issues for a couple of years, bert for about 6 years, Sammy is always hurt, Weiss has been injury prone the past couple of years, franzen always misses 10 games per year, on and on and on. So with this bunch of old and brittle group we move to the east, were the 10 of the top 15 in PIM and 10 of the top 15 in hits are located at, and some wonder why we are not healthy????? LOL This isn't a surprise.

Pretty much this. Though we weren't very impressive even when we were mostly healthy.

My thoughts as well, but it's worth noting that Tampa Bay aren't exactly injury free either. Their list is nearly as big as ours with some very important players on it.

Good job Stamkos wasn't playing.

The Wings have been having more and more trouble in recent years scoring goals consistently. In previous seasons, it has come down to a combination players under-performing, dragging their linemates into the slump with them/reassigning lines to get those players going AND injuries constantly shuffling the lines/breaking up chemistry. This season its been a bit of both. Either way, a lot of it comes down to chemistry. That said, the main culprit are the injuries themselves.

You can't have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Dekeyser, (to a lesser extent) Abdelkader, and Bertuzzi all down or otherwise not 100% at the same time, while the new 2nd-line center and starting goaltender both have career-worst seasons, and expect things to be fine. Datsyuk and Bertuzzi are back, but noticeably not back to their previous form yet. Every single line is sort of just drawn out of a hat prior to each game. The kids are great, but not quite ready to be called upon for the lion's share of offense yet. Add in bad luck like last night's Nyquist goal being waived off (could have changed the game entirely) and last week's slow/non-whistle on a Gustavsson frozen puck that ended up in our net, and its starting to get comical. Right now we are getting the goaltending, but zero goal support offensively. Not long ago we were getting the scoring and having leads squandered by shoddy goaltending.

I'm confident once we get healthy things will pick back up, but right now we are missing very important players and everyone else is either slumping or has ever-changing linemates. Honestly, I think Babcock should be erring on the side of consistency more than anything, and when a player goes down on a line, we should do what we can to just replace that player, instead of bumping everyone up and down the depth chart.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Wings young guys are playing more than they ever have and people are still blaming Holland and the vets. This is what everyone was asking for. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this team aside from being injury prone.

What I'm seeing every night is a team playing a good team game with effort but that lacks any fire power. That could have something to do with not having Zetterberg, Helm, Abdelkader, Dekeseyer and losing Franzen halfway through the game. Yes, the team is probably feeling deflated. It would be hard not to when you see all your best teammates going down.

We all know the difference Helm makes to this team. Dekeseyer we've been without for a while now and we're probably forgetting how important he is to this Defense. Zetterberg goes without saying. He is the heart and soul of this team.

Oh yes the injury card. we are hurt. yes. have been for 5 freaking years! It is only getting worse! You would think someone would try to change that, wouldn't you.......... yes some of the injuries are new-datsyuk, DD, and Abby. but Z has had back issues for a couple of years, bert for about 6 years, Sammy is always hurt, Weiss has been injury prone the past couple of years, franzen always misses 10 games per year, on and on and on. So with this bunch of old and brittle group we move to the east, were the 10 of the top 15 in PIM and 10 of the top 15 in hits are located at, and some wonder why we are not healthy????? LOL This isn't a surprise.

So what do you think we should do? Trade everyone who is "injury prone" in your eyes? Acquire 3-4 enforcers that guard everyone of our injury prone players?

Injuries are expected, that they all come at the same time to key players is not. In just a week or two we should be in better shape. Everyone just needs to calm down and ride this out. When healthy, this team is definitely making the playoffs and has a very good chance of doing so in a top 4 position in the East.

Expecting Holland to be fired is ridiculous. This team is rebuilding. People don't notice what Holland has done these past few years. These vets are stop gap guys. Holland didn't have the leverage so some of these guys got overpaid. Wings have lots of promising prospects compared to just a few years ago they didn't. Things were a lot more doom and gloom back then. The Defense is almost entirely rebuilt in the last 3 years. Steady as she goes

First person to get fired would be Babcock IMO and that isn't happening anytime soon. We've seen how good this team can play when healthy that alone makes me optimistic as long as we are making the playoffs I'm happy

Edited by joesuffP

When we have Zetterberg, Helm, Weiss, DeKeyser, Howard, Franzen, Abdelkader back in the lineup, in addition to the other players who have missed significant time due to injury like Ericsson, Datsyuk and Bertuzzi, and we still aren't scoring and are losing consistently, then I will get concerned.

This in a festive holiday nut shell.

There's a lot of unreal expectations of how this team should play while plagued with so many injuries. It's no different than say the Blackhawks being down Toews, Sharp, Bickell, Seabrook, Crawford, Shaw, and Handzus with Kane just returning a couple games ago after being out with a concussion. You can't honestly expect them to continue to play like a top NHL squad with all of those guys missing from the lineup.

If you are taking away that many key players from a team, have 3rd/4th line players on the top two lines, it's going to be a struggle. You need your core to win games. It sucks that right now we are on a 4 game losing skid, but it's not time to panic or jump ship. Wait until the end of the month when we get a few big names back in the line up and see how things go then. The season is 82 games long for a reason, and we're barely at the halfway point and still sitting in a playoff position even with the recent woes.

the reason why we suck is cause we got so many injuries is totally bogus ... in october 9 out of 13 games we played we scored 2 goals or fewer , besides helm we were healthy

we improved a bit in november but lost 7 in a row and now we just lost 6 of 7 and every game this month so far minus the blown lead vs the flyers we scored less than 2 goals

these team has way too many 4th line players playing the same style

im not saying we need enforcers but if we got a few guys whod just go around and hit the crap out of guys our team would look alot better than it does now

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

This in a festive holiday nut shell.

There's a lot of unreal expectations of how this team should play while plagued with so many injuries. It's no different than say the Blackhawks being down Toews, Sharp, Bickell, Seabrook, Crawford, Shaw, and Handzus with Kane just returning a couple games ago after being out with a concussion. You can't honestly expect them to continue to play like a top NHL squad with all of those guys missing from the lineup.

If you are taking away that many key players from a team, have 3rd/4th line players on the top two lines, it's going to be a struggle. You need your core to win games. It sucks that right now we are on a 4 game losing skid, but it's not time to panic or jump ship. Wait until the end of the month when we get a few big names back in the line up and see how things go then. The season is 82 games long for a reason, and we're barely at the halfway point and still sitting in a playoff position even with the recent woes.

You said core.

Do people forget how awful this team was in February 2008 when the injury bug hit? And that is a roster that went on to win a cup. The overreacting by some in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

As I recall, we lost 10 games out of 11. We called up every defenseman we had in GR, and had to borrow Stafford from them even though he wasn't technically signed as a Wing.

We went a game with:

Cheli-Lilja

Lebda-Quincey

Meech-Stafford

Then in the first period, Cheli broke his leg. Hasek (our #1) was injured, but at least Osgood was a fabulous 1a. Cleary was also injured during this time. He was a productive cog in the Red Wheel at that time.

Like you said, we won the Cup. This gave us unlimited sound bites in which we could use the standard cliches involving "adversity" and other such watch words.

At that time, we were fortunate enough to have won games early on so we had a bit of a cushion. Now the injury bug is kicking us earlier. The last few games I've seen the effort needed, but between called-off goals and posts and head-standing goalies and just plain bad puckluck, we're not winning.

Things are bound to turn around. I'll worry in April.

Do people forget how awful this team was in February 2008 when the injury bug hit? And that is a roster that went on to win a cup. The overreacting by some in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

where was the injury bug in october?

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

no doubt our team will be better when its finally at 100% but we still struggled at times with a full roster this season we got to many 4th line players who play the same style no chris neil's or dallas drake type player (who helped us bigtime in 08) on this team

we need more nastyness (not saying fighters) that alone will open up the play for our high end guys

This team was playing it's best hockey just a few weeks ago. You've seen how good they can play so why get all hot and bothered with Holland. This isn't the team he built. Not even close.

What to take away from this as positive is that we've seen how much better and effective guys like Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves are than Cleary and Sammy. Once everybody is healthy they won't be in the lineup