• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Expecting Holland to be fired is ridiculous. This team is rebuilding. People don't notice what Holland has done these past few years. These vets are stop gap guys. Holland didn't have the leverage so some of these guys got overpaid. Wings have lots of promising prospects compared to just a few years ago they didn't. Things were a lot more doom and gloom back then. The Defense is almost entirely rebuilt in the last 3 years. Steady as she goes

First person to get fired would be Babcock IMO and that isn't happening anytime soon. We've seen how good this team can play when healthy that alone makes me optimistic as long as we are making the playoffs I'm happy

Edited by joesuffP, 16 December 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#42 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

We had similar injury probs and had that 1-10 stretch back in '08.

Edited by T.Low, 16 December 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#43 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

When we have Zetterberg, Helm, Weiss, DeKeyser, Howard, Franzen, Abdelkader back in the lineup, in addition to the other players who have missed significant time due to injury like Ericsson, Datsyuk and Bertuzzi, and we still aren't scoring and are losing consistently, then I will get concerned. 

This in a festive holiday nut shell.

There's a lot of unreal expectations of how this team should play while plagued with so many injuries. It's no different than say the Blackhawks being down Toews, Sharp, Bickell, Seabrook, Crawford, Shaw, and Handzus with Kane just returning a couple games ago after being out with a concussion. You can't honestly expect them to continue to play like a top NHL squad with all of those guys missing from the lineup. 

If you are taking away that many key players from a team, have 3rd/4th line players on the top two lines, it's going to be a struggle. You need your core to win games. It sucks that right now we are on a 4 game losing skid, but it's not time to panic or jump ship. Wait until the end of the month when we get a few big names back in the line up and see how things go then. The season is 82 games long for a reason, and we're barely at the halfway point and still sitting in a playoff position even with the recent woes.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#44 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

the reason why we suck is cause we got so many injuries is totally bogus ... in october 9 out of 13 games we played we scored 2 goals or fewer , besides helm we were healthy 

we improved a bit in november but lost 7 in a row and now  we just lost 6 of 7 and every game this month so far minus the blown lead vs the flyers we scored less than 2 goals

these team has way too many 4th line players playing the same style 

im not saying we need enforcers but if we got a few guys whod just go around and hit the crap out of guys our team would look alot better than it does now

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 16 December 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#45 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Do people forget how awful this team was in February 2008 when the injury bug hit? And that is a roster that went on to win a cup. The overreacting by some in this thread is absolutely hilarious. 

#46 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

This in a festive holiday nut shell.

There's a lot of unreal expectations of how this team should play while plagued with so many injuries. It's no different than say the Blackhawks being down Toews, Sharp, Bickell, Seabrook, Crawford, Shaw, and Handzus with Kane just returning a couple games ago after being out with a concussion. You can't honestly expect them to continue to play like a top NHL squad with all of those guys missing from the lineup. 

If you are taking away that many key players from a team, have 3rd/4th line players on the top two lines, it's going to be a struggle. You need your core to win games. It sucks that right now we are on a 4 game losing skid, but it's not time to panic or jump ship. Wait until the end of the month when we get a few big names back in the line up and see how things go then. The season is 82 games long for a reason, and we're barely at the halfway point and still sitting in a playoff position even with the recent woes.

You said core.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Do people forget how awful this team was in February 2008 when the injury bug hit? And that is a roster that went on to win a cup. The overreacting by some in this thread is absolutely hilarious. 

As I recall, we lost 10 games out of 11.  We called up every defenseman we had in GR, and had to borrow Stafford from them even though he wasn't technically signed as a Wing. 

We went a game with:

Cheli-Lilja

Lebda-Quincey

Meech-Stafford

Then in the first period, Cheli broke his leg.  Hasek (our #1) was injured, but at least Osgood was a fabulous 1a.  Cleary was also injured during this time.  He was a productive cog in the Red Wheel at that time.

Like you said, we won the Cup.  This gave us unlimited sound bites in which we could use the standard cliches involving "adversity" and other such watch words.

At that time, we were fortunate enough to have won games early on so we had a bit of a cushion.  Now the injury bug is kicking us earlier.  The last few games I've seen the effort needed, but between called-off goals and posts and head-standing goalies and just plain bad puckluck, we're not winning.

Things are bound to turn around.  I'll worry in April.

#48 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

#49 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

where was the injury bug in october?

2008 = Lidstrom was still playing and we had Rafalski and Stuart on the blue line. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were SIX years younger. Franzen came out of NOWHERE and teams weren't ready for that. Osgood stole the show in net. Totally different from 2008. But you can't say without the injuries we'd still be this bad, no way. I'm to the point now where I don't even care what happens until this team is at 100%. We were starting to find a little groove there before all the injuries hit. I'm frustrated just like everyone else but you can't expect to perform at your highest level when your best players are missing.

no doubt our team will be better when its finally at 100% but we still struggled at times with a full roster this season we got to many 4th line players who play the same style no chris neil's  or dallas drake type player (who helped us bigtime in 08) on this team

we need more nastyness (not saying fighters) that alone will open up the play for our high end guys

#50 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

This team was playing it's best hockey just a few weeks ago. You've seen how good they can play so why get all hot and bothered with Holland. This isn't the team he built. Not even close.

What to take away from this as positive is that we've seen how much better and effective guys like Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves are than Cleary and Sammy. Once everybody is healthy they won't be in the lineup

#51 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

What does the injuries have with the fact that we have too many bottom 6 forwards,too many veterans,not so many reliable D men and a minus in cap space?

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Samuelsson and Cleary are both substantially less valuable than Tootoo, Eaves, and Glendening. Scratching them both on a regular basis would be an improvement.

#53 Supface

Supface

Rookie

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

At least Mrazek's Winter Classic pads are awesome

Csvggi7.jpg

#54 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Injuries aside, we should still be able to beat the Florida Panthers, twice.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#55 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

Csvggi7.jpg

Gawd_DAMN!!!!!!!!

Samuelsson and Cleary are both substantially less valuable than Tootoo, Eaves, and Glendening. Scratching them both on a regular basis would be an improvement.

2 guys vs 3 guys? I’d hope so  :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#56 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

It shows how much zetterberg means, something I always knew. I'm patiently waiting for z and helm to return very much heart and soul leaders and players
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#57 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Exactly. People seem to forget  how good this team was beginning to play before the injury bug hit. And that was without Datsyuk! Up front this roster is every bit as good as that 2008 team, if not better. The defense is the big difference, of course. But they are young and I am confident that they will just keep getting better to form a very solid blue line. It is really bad right now because the lines are changing almost on a per game basis, so that is gonna make it difficult to find goals. 

But hey, the kids are playing, and they are learning. It will make this team all the better for it when we get players back. 

#58 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Don't forget injuries have been ridiculous. That may have a little something to do with it. There's nothing wrong with the core of this team just all the talent isn't playing right now

Babs should be able to figure out how to net a goal or two here and there though

Injuries or not, the players who are being called up need to contribute.  Other teams have injuries yet, they are pressing on.

The roster and farm system isn't producing the talent needed to win in the NHL.  That falls entirely at Hollands' feet.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#59 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Gotta love LGW during the rough times.

It's as if 90% of you completely forget last season.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#60 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Csvggi7.jpg

These pads are totally AWESOME!!! :w00t: