• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LETEMxDIEx

Can Detroit turn things around?

Rate this topic

It seems to me that the Detroit Red Wings are not focused. We either get shut-out,don't put up a good effort, or take the lead and then when the 3rd starts Detroit says "nah don't feeling like winning, you guys take it." So I have a very serious question. What NEEDS to change in order to stay playoff material? To end the bad 3rd periods? To actully be a threat?

P.S. Pretend you're the new coach of the Detroit Red Wings.

It seems to me that the Detroit Red Wings are not focused. We either get shut-out,don't put up a good effort, or take the lead and then when the 3rd starts Detroit says "nah don't feeling like winning, you guys take it." So I have a very serious question. What NEEDS to change in order to stay playoff material? To end the bad 3rd periods? To actully be a threat?

P.S. Pretend you're the new coach of the Detroit Red Wings.

I think if we could only ice a lineup looking like this:
Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Miller-Andersson-Tatar
Cleary-Glendening-Eaves
Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Samuelsson
things would turn around. Very balanced lines, each line has a scorer (Alfie, Tatar, Eaves, Sammy) a great puck-carrying center and a playmaker. With this our 2nd PP unit would look something like:
Cleary-Tatar-Eaves
Kindl-Sammy
and I can't imagine that not being an effective unit.

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Miller-Andersson-Tatar

Cleary-Glendening-Eaves

things would turn around. Very balanced lines, each line has a scorer (Alfie, Tatar, Eaves, Sammy) a great puck-carrying center and a playmaker. With this our 2nd PP unit would look something like:

Cleary-Tatar-Eaves

Kindl-Sammy

I can't tell if this is serious or if it reeks of sarcasm.

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Miller-Andersson-Tatar
Cleary-Glendening-Eaves
Cleary-Tatar-Eaves
Kindl-Sammy

Is obviosuly a coaching thing. If Bowman was still here he'd most definitely play Zetterberg, DeKeyser, Helm, Nyquist, Franzen, Howard, Abdlekader, and Weiss.

But Babcock is dead set on that 3rd line of Cleary-Glendening-Eaves, so it looks like those other guys will just have to wait for their opportunity to play.

It seems to me that what really needs to be focused on the Red wings line is the urge to stay competetive(spelling error). When they have the lead they seem way to relaxed and I've also noticed they're not that aggressive. The game against Ottawa (at home) was a thrashing against us as of playing dirty. They need to get some attitude and be a team that other teams don't wanna play against. We have tons of injured players, but I don't see why we shouldn't win or at least put up a good fight till the final whistle. WE ARE THE DETROIT RED WINGS, gone to the playoffs for over 2 decades and If I just started watching hockey and someone told me that, I wouldn't believe them.

:innocent::innocent: I wanna believe

I can't tell if this is serious or if it reeks of sarcasm.

Whether serious or sarcasm it still makes me want to cry because that is what we have to witness tonight. The game will be aired on Comedy Central.

Detroit WILL turn things around. In my opinion, its just a matter of when. The injuries have been devastating and keep piling up. Through solid goaltending and some players playing above their ability/experience level, we'll weather the storm, and make noise once vital players return from injury.

To me, any level of consistency at this point is crucial. As I've said elsewhere, loosing the bodies we have lost is a hard enough blow to take even before you start continuously shuffling lines. The players that are available should at least be able to rely on their linemates and accumulated chemistry to get them through. The lines that are otherwise unaffected by injuries need to remain together and just have their ice-time adjusted. As a player goes down, his spot on a line should be the only substitution. Shuffling the whole deck does more to ruin what is working than it does to fill voids elsewhere.

I'd trade Howard. I love him, and have 100 percent faith in him. But when your team sucks, you're goalie does double work, and in turn also sucks. At this point in time, the Wings do not need a goalie worth more than 2 million. Goalies are easier to find then a group of defenseman and 4 solid forward lines. Build a team, then hire a goalie. Don't build a goalie, then develop a team in front of him. Bad management.

The Wingers are poor and can't compliment the centers. And since the Wings are built on skill; the heavier, faster, tougher league is causing our entire roster to be on the injured list. Can the Wings turn things around? Yes, in 3-5 years....but the Americans are greatly losing interest in the watered down NHL because mass media wants everyone to be a football play..er...a football fan, 3-5 years time could be detrimental to hockey in Detroit.

I believe that the Red Wings could turn this around but will they???? This team has been satisfied by just sneaking into the playoffs and only doing enough work to get by. Sooner or later that will catch up to them. When you lose games that you should be winning (FLA) its hard to put valuable points in the bank for times that you are slumping or full of injuries. This team has a lot of problems. The defense is not good enough, the forwards are not playing good enough, and Howie is in a slump. On paper this team is above average and should make the playoffs but in reality I'm not sure they will.

Fans can blame injuries and HBO being the problem but that won't help get this team into the playoffs.

I'd trade Howard. I love him, and have 100 percent faith in him. But when your team sucks, you're goalie does double work, and in turn also sucks. At this point in time, the Wings do not need a goalie worth more than 2 million. Goalies are easier to find then a group of defenseman and 4 solid forward lines. Build a team, then hire a goalie. Don't build a goalie, then develop a team in front of him. Bad management.

The Wingers are poor and can't compliment the centers. And since the Wings are built on skill; the heavier, faster, tougher league is causing our entire roster to be on the injured list. Can the Wings turn things around? Yes, in 3-5 years....but the Americans are greatly losing interest in the watered down NHL because mass media wants everyone to be a football play..er...a football fan, 3-5 years time could be detrimental to hockey in Detroit.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. Are you faulting management for drafting and developing a goalie who has turned out well? The team has a struggling and developing defence so they most definitly need a goalie to do "double work." There has been mispent money, but it's not in Howie's pocket.

I can't be the only one who thinks the HBO cameras are a bit too much of a distraction

I'm in the same boat, watching the first show the players are clearly distracted by that, same goes for the Toronto Maple Leafs and I don't blame them. Having to do interviews and all that pre-post game stuff is tough enough, but having 24/7 cameras following you is a different beast, especially for introverted guys. If I were the GM I would say sorry but our players don't like this, so no 24/7 here, period.

My mind goes to a poster on Fox Mulder's office on the X-Files that had a UFO on it and said "I Want To Believe". That's about how I feel at this moment, I want to think this is still a competitive and skilled team, and they will make the playoffs again this season and make some kind of run toward the finals. The fan in me, the optimist and support I have for this team, i'll always consider them top level and competitive.

Realistically right now it's not fair to judge the current state of this team when so many players are void from it. This is not the team that has been built, this is a low point with entirely too many key players not in the lineup. We have kids that have barely played any NHL games and 3rd-4th line players thrown into 1st and 2nd line responsibility. There's not much chemistry yet as they haven't had time to play with all of these new players.

Can we turn things around? Of course when we have more players back in the lineup and our starting goaltender back. Will we do it this month? Not likely, and having expectations of this being a winning team right now is a bit nuts.

So as we sit, we are going to struggle, and we'll continue to struggle. Come January we'll be back in a bit of an uphill battle until we can finally get healthy again (hopefully) and start to win games again. This being a healthy team is a skilled and potentially competitive team, but don't judge the state of the Wings as they currently sit.

The injuries, more likely than not, will even out. The real issue is what the OP stated: our general inability to hold a lead through the 3rd period. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, and will be the true indicator whether or not we make a serious run in the playoffs this year.

The injuries have nothing to do with them losing. They were doing this even before this all took place. These Players even the ones in the AHL need to be NHL ready. They also need to play as a Team and work hard. This is Bulls*** I'm sorry people I won't accept this. They are getting paid Millions of Dollars to play a Game! If they can't play at the NHL Level than why the hell are they even on the Team let alone Drafted in the NHL Already?

All tell you why because we've got to many teams in the NHL. Most of these players would even have made it in! In the old NHL. There needs to be no more excuse's of this team no more I'm sick of them losing. They are Millionaires most of them playing a Game! Where we the Middle Class citizen don't get enough money to pay Bills or stuff like that.

So we the Fan need to expect only perfection only that from them this is a 6 Original Club they need to Honour and Cherish the Team that plays there Salary.

The injuries have nothing to do with them losing. They were doing this even before this all took place. These Players even the ones in the AHL need to be NHL ready. They also need to play as a Team and work hard. This is Bulls*** I'm sorry people I won't accept this. They are getting paid Millions of Dollars to play a Game! If they can't play at the NHL Level than why the hell are they even on the Team let alone Drafted in the NHL Already?

All tell you why because we've got to many teams in the NHL. Most of these players would even have made it in! In the old NHL. There needs to be no more excuse's of this team no more I'm sick of them losing. They are Millionaires most of them playing a Game! Where we the Middle Class citizen don't get enough money to pay Bills or stuff like that.

So we the Fan need to expect only perfection only that from them this is a 6 Original Club they need to Honour and Cherish the Team that plays there Salary.

19 days ago you were saying these Red Wings were better than the 2002 team. Maybe don't ride the highs and lows so much when it's still December and there's lots of hockey to be played.

Things do change you know. I let it go when they lost the last few games but this has got to stop or they won't make the playoffs or even get a WildCard spot.

I feel like I'm talking Baseball? WildCard why? Why Why this is supposed be the NHL look what they have done to are near perfect game that was 90s Hockey. They ruined it. My Dad's favorite Team the Montreal Canadiens are playing great of late. I mean I have to deal with that. So you can see why I want my team to win!

2 freaking weeks ago http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/75642-121-gdt-red-wings-4-at-senators-2-alfredsson-scores-eng/?view=findpost&p=2460019 --> this edition is better than the 2002 and now another 180 degree turnaround, so what is it?

To answer the question not anytime soon.

Obviously need to get healthy.

The upside if there was any to all this is our schedule looks decent up until we hit that 5 game road swing starting January 4th. Stars, Sharks, Kings, Ducks then the Rags. If we aren't healthy by then.

It's going to be a big sh** show

Can Detroit turn things around?

We can and we will.

We will find what things need turning. We will find a way to grasp them. We will agree on a common direction in which to turn these things. We will lift as one and turn these things in unison.

Then Cleary will fall down, Sammy will overshoot the target destination, every player that hasn't been the blank in a "Bench Blank!" thread will be injured from the lopsided weight distribution, and LGW will have a debate on the effect an enforcer would have had on the things.

April will come, the injuries will have healed, the GR kids who have earned the ice time will get it, and we'll head into the playoffs to meet our fate, whatever it may be.

We'll look back and marvel at the things that we turned once we got over our injuries, felt the pressure of looking at the playoff picture on the bubble, and focused on winning.

Can we turn things around? You bet your sweet bippy, we can. And a Zetterberg will lead them all.