• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was trying to tell everyone yesterday this wouldn't garner a suspension.  Quincey barely did anything and I still think Getzlaugh threw himself into the boards more than anything.  More of a dumb luck positioning play than a dirty hit from behind.  Everyone freaked out because it looked bad, which we have all complained about players being suspended about the outcome rather than the play.

Chuck Pleiness @wingsfrontman

Wings GM just texted and said Kyle Quincey won't be suspended for hit from behind to Ryan Getzlaf.

https://twitter.com/...397960139882496

Son of a.....please fix my stupid spelling error in the title.

Edited by rrasco, 18 December 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#2 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I don't think Getzlaf pulled a Couture and threw himself into the boards. But it did look like a pretty flukey thing.

#3 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think some people around here would have liked to see him get suspended. LoL.

#4 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

I was trying to tell everyone yesterday this wouldn't garner a suspension.  Quincey barely did anything and I still think Getzlaugh threw himself into the boards more than anything.  More of a dumb luck positioning play than a dirty hit from behind.  Everyone freaked out because it looked bad, which we have all complained about players being suspended about the outcome rather than the play.

https://twitter.com/...397960139882496

Son of a.....please fix my stupid spelling error in the title.

Thanks for the info.

And if your spelling error is the most troublesome part of my day, I'll have an awesome day. E

#5 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

i didnt keep up with the gdt but when i was watching i thought the penalty was overboard. 2 or 4 minutes would have been plenty sufficient. it was just bad luck with how getzlaf fell into the boards.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

It didn't look malicious and that type of play (minus the results, at least) happens 30 times in a game.  It looked like Getzlaf was caught just as he was shifting his weight, and unfortunately Quincey got him during that split second.

#7 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

He didn't dive or try to sell it.  He was off balance.  Just an unfortunate play.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#8 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

So then when Kronwall turned into the hit a few weeks ago, all of you were ok with that hit as well? just trying to find some consistency on this stuff, because there is none. Q hit him-very lightly granted, from behind. That should either always be a penalty or always be ok. I love physical hockey, but hits from behind should never allowed. If you see if coming you can protect yourself. You can't if you don't.

#9 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

So then when Kronwall turned into the hit a few weeks ago, all of you were ok with that hit as well? just trying to find some consistency on this stuff, because there is none. Q hit him-very lightly granted, from behind. That should either always be a penalty or always be ok. I love physical hockey, but hits from behind should never allowed. If you see if coming you can protect yourself. You can't if you don't.

You really think this is comparable to the Kronwall hit?  That in itself would explain why you see such an inconsistency. lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#10 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

The hit was dirty but also Getzlafs position was a little bit unfortunate therefore not worth a suspension. Quincy got what he deserved for it in my opinion. 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

I don't even consider what Quincey did as a hit.  He was stopping just like Getzlaf, except he didn't toe pick.  As mentioned above, that play happens 30 times a game and is never given a second look.  Q was a good 2 feet away from the boards at any time in the play.

No, because McLeod actually barreled into him.  He never tried to stop, let up, or do anything to prevent slamming Kronwall into the boards.  He also actually drove his head into the boards by contact, which contributed to the injury.  Charging, boarding, call it what you will.  It may have been part Kronwall's fault for turning into it, but that's two different scenarios IMO.  There is a reason McLeod was suspended and Quincey was not.

Edited by rrasco, 18 December 2013 - 04:50 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#12 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Good for the team. They can't afford to lose any more D-men.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#13 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

More of a punishment to have to keep Quincey in the lineup than to suspend him.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#14 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I didn't see any hitting whatsoever. Quincey engaged him, Getzlaf's skate caught a rut and awkwardly went into the boards. 9 times out of 10 that doesn't happen to Getzlaf, and he'd peel off him because he's bigger and stronger.

#15 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

i personally think getzlaf tried to embellish the hit and caught his toe in a rut.

quincy looked like he gave a "bounce off" push to him, getz went for the duck (no pun) and added on to the impact.

once he realized (split second) he was going in awkward...it was too late.

face....meet wall.

but thats just me. look at quincey's reaction....he couldnt believe that getz went down so....funny.

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#16 R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle

Just warming up

• Gold Booster
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I didn't see a suspension for this. Like someone else mentioned, Getzlaf threw himself into the boards.

Posted Image

#17 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Can we appeal the suspension?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#18 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Terrible news...what a blow to our line-up. :lol:

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#19 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

They were going to suspend him. But then they realize its more severe of a penalty to the Detroit red wingsto just let him play.

#20 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

i personally think getzlaf tried to embellish the hit and caught his toe in a rut.

quincy looked like he gave a "bounce off" push to him, getz went for the duck (no pun) and added on to the impact.

once he realized (split second) he was going in awkward...it was too late.

face....meet wall.

but thats just me. look at quincey's reaction....he couldnt believe that getz went down so....funny.

This.  He lost control of his dive.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."