• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

c'mon. he has a career best 51 points. thats not consistent 50-70 points....

and he is already at the age his point totals will decline on average. there are many articles that look at the subject, but i like this one from several years back:

http://www.hockeybuz...hp?post_id=8663

That might be a relevant analysis if it was done in the current era.  Not with players such as Howe, Esposito and Beliveau. lol

Edited by Son of a Wing, 19 December 2013 - 05:58 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#22 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

That might be a relevant analysis if it was done in the current era.  Not with players such as Howe, Esposito and Beliveau. lol

it doesnt make a difference. i ran the numbers of the top 30 scorers since 2000. it includes young guys like crosby and ovechkin and some retired guys like sakic and kovalev.

when you average the points they scored per season based on age, it peaks at age 27. steens contract will take him from age 30-32 roughly. if you look at the numbers for those ages, they are about 10% lower than the peak at age 30 and about 20% lower than the peak for age 32.

so considering that steens peak performance was a 51 point season, then we can project that he will get 40-45 points each season.

i will post a graph and numbers later. i wasted enough time compiling it all...

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#23 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

it doesnt make a difference. i ran the numbers of the top 30 scorers since 2000. it includes young guys like crosby and ovechkin and some retired guys like sakic and kovalev.

when you average the points they scored per season based on age, it peaks at age 27. steens contract will take him from age 30-32 roughly. if you look at the numbers for those ages, they are about 10% lower than the peak at age 30 and about 20% lower than the peak for age 32.

so considering that steens peak performance was a 51 point season, then we can project that he will get 40-45 points each season.

i will post a graph and numbers later. i wasted enough time compiling it all...

Sure if you ignore that players do peak at different stages in their careers and just average them all out. Players are a case-by-case study.  Peaks range widely.  Just ask Tim Thomas.

But this discussion is about Steen and I think it's obvious he's peaking now.  Thus a three year deal is great for both sides.

I don't think St Louis fears a 10-20% dropoff.  lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#24 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

its not obvious he is peaking now. its obvious he is having an anomaly. and that next year he will be back to being the same player he has been every other year of his career. its funny how i provide actual data to back up my opinion and you just keep dismissing it. besides the only reason i even provided the data or linked to the article that said the same thing is that you erroneously tried to imply his age was where he should be peaking.

steen is performing this year at a ppg more than 50% higher than any other season he has ever had. additionally his shooting percentage is twice his lifetime average. those sort of numbers are not sustainable over a large sample size. he is on a hot streak, plain and simple. if you sign players based on hot streaks then your team will never be any good as your money will be locked up in underperforming players.

we cant predict the future. but what we can do is use the information we have to make the best possible decisions. when doing that you give yourself a good chance of being right most of the time. if you just blindly guess and are correct, thats called being lucky. using information to make informed decisions is called being smart.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

1.its not obvious he is peaking now. its obvious he is having an anomaly. and that next year he will be back to being the same player he has been every other year of his career. 2.its funny how i provide actual data to back up my opinion and you just keep dismissing it. 3.besides the only reason i even provided the data or linked to the article that said the same thing is that you erroneously tried to imply his age was where he should be peaking.

steen is performing this year at a ppg more than 50% higher than any other season he has ever had. additionally his shooting percentage is twice his lifetime average. those sort of numbers are not sustainable over a large sample size. he is on a hot streak, plain and simple. 4.if you sign players based on hot streaks then your team will never be any good as your money will be locked up in underperforming players.

5.we cant predict the future. but what we can do is use the information we have to make the best possible decisions. when doing that you give yourself a good chance of being right most of the time. if you just blindly guess and are correct, thats called being lucky. using information to make informed decisions is called being smart.

1.  So what is peaking if not the best year of your career? 

2. You brought up career average numbers of guys like Howe, Beliveau and Esposito to somehow prove it is all decline for Steen for the rest of his career.  Love to hear how that's relevant to Steen.

3. The difference between 27 and 29 is not as great as you think. lol

4. But Steen is not being compensated as a point per game player. lol His contract is very in line with what his career average is. 

5. Yup.

Again, it's a short term deal at what the going rate for a 50 point guy will be for the next few years.  Whether it's his peak or not it's a very fair deal for everyone.  Don't see what the big deal is.

Vince Lombardi

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah mark him off your X-mas/July wishlists. 

Really good player and I don't mind this contract one bit. 

#27 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Pavel Datsyuk has lived his everyday life in his prime since birth.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."