• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

12/19 GDT: Flames 2 @ Red Wings 3 (OT)

Rate this topic

YES FINALLY WE BEAT A TEAM...BUT THEY'RE 13TH IN THE WEST....and we couldn't do it in regulation...

agreed. we are so far from out of the woods yet. lotsa players coming back after christmas which is amazing. at least we only have a couple of more games for most of these guys to miss.

I guess Pittsburgh is missing 9 regulars and have won 5 of 6. That stings a little. But hey, we finally won and that's great. I hope Tootoo can somehow stay up but that would require some cap movement, I think.

I think it's more about the quantity combined with the quality of regulars that we're missing. If they were missing their captain and 5 of the other top 9 forwards they'd be struggling too. If we had Z back we wouldn't be struggling so much etc. Lets say we're missing Bert, Sammy, Cleary, Andy, Miller, Tatar, Gus, Q, Kindl, Lashoff, Weiss. That's 10 regulars and Sammy and we wouldn't be doing as bad as if we lost Pav, Z and say Nyquist. It's not necessarily about quantity as much as it is about quality. We're missing a lot of quality players.

Edited by nawein

if not for Cleary and Sammy, Eaves and Tootoo would be here permanently. Sadly, when the injuries subside, they will be the ones to be sent back down...even though we are a better team with them. Holland knows it, Babcock knows it, but their hands are tied with the old losers...

So, are you saying that through bad contracts and short sightedness the team has been forced into cutting guys loose that they'd rather not, and playing guys they'd usually not?

So glad the Wings won. Alfie was buzzing all night so it's not surprising he got the winner.

When Kronner was applauding the fans after the game, I wish there was a way he could've directed at only the upper bowl. The number of empty seats in the lower bowl is beyond ridiculous.

It's sh*tty, there's no doubt about it. But compared to Lions or Tigers fans, Wings fans have always been a bit fickle. It doesn't surprise me that people aren't showing up the way we've been playing. I mean hell, look at how many on our fan forum have sworn on and off them the last few weeks. Now imagine the feeling of the casual suburban potential ticket buyer. Everybody around here expects them to win, and if they don't they're chopped liver. Sad but true. The Wings aren't the Lions, they actually have to do something positive to get fan support.

Guest Playmaker

It's sh*tty, there's no doubt about it. But compared to Lions or Tigers fans, Wings fans have always been a bit fickle. It doesn't surprise me that people aren't showing up the way we've been playing. I mean hell, look at how many on our fan forum have sworn on and off them the last few weeks. Now imagine the feeling of the casual suburban potential ticket buyer. Everybody around here expects them to win, and if they don't they're chopped liver. Sad but true. The Wings aren't the Lions, they actually have to do something positive to get fan support.

I agree. Its not even that they're losing, but the way they are losing, and add to that, you're paying a buttload of cash to basically watch the Grand Rapids Griffins. Never really liked the premise that somehow those in the nosebleed seats are "better" fans than those in the lower bowl.

I was at the game last night, and if I could have come down lower I might have considered it. But I was at the top of the lower bowl behind our goal. The one problem I have with that place is their handicapped/wheelchair seating. It stinks. There isn't enough room for a wheelchair to negotiate easily. Of course a lot of people don't help much. They push, they don't look where they are going, they run into my hubby's chair (and him), and they just don't care. I hope this new arena (proposed) does better with handicapped/wheelchair accessibility.

As far as the game, though, I thought Pasha was great on that 5-on-3 situation. They were crap calls (especially the one on Brendan Smith), but we made as much good out of it as was possible, I suppose.

I don't know about the US Kira, but here in the UK that kind of thing (disabled access) is legistlated into new buildings.

Meanwhile, still happy about those 2 points. Our biggest win in a long, long time. Maybe our biggest win since the last game of last season in Dallas.

YES FINALLY WE BEAT A TEAM...BUT THEY'RE 13TH IN THE WEST....and we couldn't do it in regulation...

Our team may as well have played with the red and white Griffins shield jersey. That was a hard fought win without the likes of Z, Helm, Franzen, DeKeyser, Weiss, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Howard….2 lines, and our starting goalie. Nuff said I think.

So glad the Wings won. Alfie was buzzing all night so it's not surprising he got the winner.

When Kronner was applauding the fans after the game, I wish there was a way he could've directed at only the upper bowl. The number of empty seats in the lower bowl is beyond ridiculous.

Theres always empty seats in the lower bowl. Going to a wings game, unless you're super early and dont plan on leaving your seat the whole game...Your gonna wait in lines. Large ones. The arena isn't set up for that many people to move around fluently. Everything from parking to using the restroom is a very painful activity at the JOE. People come late and leave early because theres just no room to move.

Theres always empty seats in the lower bowl. Going to a wings game, unless you're super early and dont plan on leaving your seat the whole game...Your gonna wait in lines. Large ones. The arena isn't set up for that many people to move around fluently. Everything from parking to using the restroom is a very painful activity at the JOE. People come late and leave early because theres just no room to move.

I agree that the joe is about as inconvenient of an arena as you could design these days but the level of empty seats has gone well beyond beer and bathroom lines and people leaving early.

The DetroitRedWings have been horrible at the Joe all season long, so expecting fans to pay premium pices and show up no matter what might happen in Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton but certainly not in Hockeytown anymore. I think a part of it has to do with the fact, that this is a boring team to watch and a lot of people like blue collar hockey more than watching a bunch of veterans displaying some dimishing skills.

Something I will hardly ever understand, is why people are getting blamed for leaving early? Traffic can be horrible, people have to go to work, school or collegue so they need to be well rested and prepared if that means leaving a game early, so be it.

Sure, empty seats aren't nice but this can be improved easily, build a team people want to support and get behind more easily.

This is promising:

DeKeyser at the left point on 2nd power play unit with Eaves at right point. Could be DeKeyser is ready to play and Kindl may be scratched?

This left-handed right-handed point man combination is so over-rated. We don't have Lidstrom and Holmstrom anymore and we can't even generate good offense on the PP from the point with Kronwall and Bertuzzi, so why try it with the second unit too. Just put two good offensive defensemen that can hold the puck in, create movement and let the young, creative forwards we have on that 2nd unit score.

Kindl and Smith aren't used on the PK (sometimes Smith is if another D-man is in the box), so put them on the 2nd unit. Screw the handedness - it's bulls***.

This left-handed right-handed point man combination is so over-rated. We don't have Lidstrom and Holmstrom anymore and we can't even generate good offense on the PP from the point with Kronwall and Bertuzzi, so why try it with the second unit too. Just put two good offensive defensemen that can hold the puck in, create movement and let the young, creative forwards we have on that 2nd unit score.

Kindl and Smith aren't used on the PK (sometimes Smith is if another D-man is in the box), so put them on the 2nd unit. Screw the handedness - it's bulls***.

Couldn't agree more. I hate when they put a forward in that position too, because you know there will be a cough up on the blue line and the forward will not stand a chance catching up. And don't get me started on Samuelsson...

Kindl is used, and he's not good at it

Kindl is used, and he's not good at it

I think he's just the least bad thing of a 2nd PP unit that is pieced together of spare parts. Especially if we're gonna take him off it and leave Eaves or Sammy on the other side just for the LH/RH combination.