• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Even with such an outstanding roster, winning the gold medal infront of the home crowd is not that easy. So no, any non pro coach claiming they would have won it with this team too, is getting a bit over themselves. Team USA had a guy named Ryan Miller playing out of his mind. Yes, it is easier to coach a bunch of allstars and future HoFers but if they aren't instructed well enough nothing will come out of it, as shown by Team Canada during last years WJC. Babcock has his flaws just like every other coach, gm but the guy damn well knows his business, otherwise there is no way someone could have had such an impressive set card as a coach. Making the playoffs last year almost was a miracle, lately his GM really has let him down in terms of player personal, he can only work with what Kenny is giving him. Personally I like Tippet and i think he is a great coach, but for whatever reason I feel like the guy is made for non major hockey-markets. His systems are simple, yet hard to defeat and he can get a bunch of average NHLers to play above their skillset for him but he certainly can't get top players to reach the next level. As for Babcocks replacement when the time is right, I would like to see Carlyle or Barry Trotz.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#42 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:20 AM

I know that Wings' fans can be a bit spoiled at times but seriously?
Wings are in fifth...with a roster that's less than impressive and plagued with injuries.
Babcock is the reason that last year's terrible team made the playoffs and he IS one of the best (if not THE best) coach in the league.
It's been too long since our last Stanley Cup but there's 25 other teams in the league that have been waiting longer so I'm gonna go ahead and not freak out just yet.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#43 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

I know that Wings' fans can be a bit spoiled at times but seriously?
Wings are in fifth...with a roster that's less than impressive and plagued with injuries.
Babcock is the reason that last year's terrible team made the playoffs and he IS one of the best (if not THE best) coach in the league.
It's been too long since our last Stanley Cup but there's 25 other teams in the league that have been waiting longer so I'm gonna go ahead and not freak out just yet.

I think people are used to the west, where our current points total barely gets us into the playoffs. Also, even though we are getting points here and there with OT games - the quality of our play has regressed heavily over the last 2 years. Our identity as a puck possession team has diminished so we don't look as dominant. We are undergoing roster turnover right now so it is to be expected (at least by me).

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

I think people are used to the west, where our current points total barely gets us into the playoffs. Also, even though we are getting points here and there with OT games - the quality of our play has regressed heavily over the last 2 years. Our identity as a puck possession team has diminished so we don't look as dominant. We are undergoing roster turnover right now so it is to be expected (at least by me).

Agreed with that, but Babcock is the one choosing the right player from the roster given by Kenny so his hands are somewhat tied here. He made mistakes for sure, but I would bet my house if Kenny fires him there are at least 27 other teams who would fire their current coach and make him an offer immediately, he is that good of a coach as shown by HBO episode 2.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#45 zztop40

zztop40

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

Just a thought....would you all think Jeff Blashill be good fill in for Bab's in one or two years?  He is having one hell of a start in GR!

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Do I think Babcock's job is in jeopardy?  No, but I can't say that it doesn't bother me that Babcock has let his personal feelings get in the way of what is best for the team.

To be fair to Babcock, Cleary *was* the team's second-leading scorer in the playoffs, even if his numbers were very inflated.

That said, it seems Babcock has now recognized Cleary's very significant shortcomings, though he still continues to gift the latter ice time in situations Cleary doesn't deserve.

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just a thought....would you all think Jeff Blashill be good fill in for Bab's in one or two years?  He is having one hell of a start in GR!

I friggin' love Jeff Blashill. If we had to replace Babs, he'd be my #1 choice.

I fear he'll be snatched up by another organization. Sabres? Isles? Flames?

Don't Toews me, bro!