Photo
- - - - -

Darryl Sutter's take on the Penalty Box.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

http://msn.foxsports...-of-them-122013

I hope he was kidding, if not he just sounds like a blubbering fool.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

From an owner's standpoint, he's got a point.  You could have the bad boy sit in Pierre's spot or in the dressing room tunnel (until right before the penalty expires) or you could have smaller boxes since we still need a place for the Men in Blac...er, Suits.

On the other hand, I sat next to the visitor's penalty box once at a Wild/Red Wings game and it was the thrill of my existence to be that close to Pavel, Hank, Meech, and Drapes.  It's a grand tradition of the game.

I don't think anything will come of his comments, unless the boxes are just made smaller, but it's not the dumbest idea hockey has ever seen <coughinstigatorcough>.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#3 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

From an owner's standpoint, he's got a point.  You could have the bad boy sit in Pierre's spot or in the dressing room tunnel (until right before the penalty expires) or you could have smaller boxes since we still need a place for the Men in Blac...er, Suits.

On the other hand, I sat next to the visitor's penalty box once at a Wild/Red Wings game and it was the thrill of my existence to be that close to Pavel, Hank, Meech, and Drapes.  It's a grand tradition of the game.

I don't think anything will come of his comments, unless the boxes are just made smaller, but it's not the dumbest idea hockey has ever seen <coughinstigatorcough>.

I agree it's not the dumbest, but it's up there.

I think instead of the penalty box we should suspend players in the air and lower them when penalty expires.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#4 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

hahaha Meech

#5 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

I think when guys get really fired up after a fight or nasty hit etc. it is better to take them to the box to cool down. The bench is too close to the opposing team's bench in those situations. Also I always liked the idea of the "shame" a player feels when he skates back to the bench from the penalty box when the opposing team converts a PP.

Also I'd like to see the extra revenue generated by a couple seats... I would guess it would be a drop in the pond.

#6 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think when guys get really fired up after a fight or nasty hit etc. it is better to take them to the box to cool down. The bench is too close to the opposing team's bench in those situations. Also I always liked the idea of the "shame" a player feels when he skates back to the bench from the penalty box when the opposing team converts a PP.

Also I'd like to see the extra revenue generated by a couple seats... I would guess it would be a drop in the pond.

We could always put opposing teams fans in the penalty box and throw peanuts at them like at the zoo.

Edited by wings87, 21 December 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#7 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:51 AM

http://msn.foxsports...-of-them-122013

I hope he was kidding, if not he just sounds like a blubbering fool.

Suter is hilarious.  He might look like he belongs in The Goonies, and sound like an incoherent fool, but the way he constantly trolls the media is genius.

I'd love to see him replace Babs in a few years, just for the lolz.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#8 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

I always thought it would be fun to be within Tie Domi's splash zone. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#9 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

When I hear "penalty box", I think of Shanny.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James