Photo
- - - - -

Leafs/Wings 24/7 Episode 2 Discussion (12/21)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm pretty sure I drop that many f bombs during a visit with my grandparents. I'm starting to think I should reevaluate my life.

I'm really torn with this show. One part of me wants access to every single second of every locker room moment from arriving at the rink to dressing for the game to intermission tongue lashings to post game showers to getting in their cars to go home.

The other part of me feels it's intrusive and getting in their heads and leave my team alone and let them focus on playing dammit and wow what an invasion of privacy.

Not to mention the stuff they're showing isn't all that illuminating. I did enjoy the Babs portions of the show, but feel like they're focusing too much on the coaches and not enough on the players.

We're halfway through now, hopefully these last 2 eps pick up...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#42 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Way too much on the coaches. I wanna see the players, with alot more datsyuk/zetterberg spotlights. So far the toronto side has been much more entertaining in almost every aspect.

#43 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

I was wondering why we weren't seeing as many Babcock speeches in the locker room until I saw him kick the camera crew the eff out. Then I wasn't wondering anymore.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I drop that many f bombs during a visit w6th my grandparents. I'm starting to think I should reevaluate my life.
I'm really torn with this show. One part of me wants access to every single second of every locker room moment from arriving at the rink to dressing for the game to intermission tongue lashings to post game showers to getting in their cars to go home.
The other part of me feels it's intrusive and getting in their heads and leave my team alone and let them focus on playing dammit and wow what an invasion of privacy.
Not to mention the stuff they're showing isn't all that illuminating. I did enjoy the Babs portions of the show, but feel like they're focusing too much on the coaches and not enough on the players.
We're halfway through now, hopefully these last 2 eps pick up...

I agree with that, as fan I am fine with not having access to everything. I mean, these teams are giving HBO access to a lot of stuff and its obvious, that both teams are uncomfortable having the cameras around.

So focusing on the coaches might be easier, also liked this episode. I'm dropping f bombs too especially during huge traffic hours bring not n every sentence.

Those are two Original 6 teams they don't need to go out of their way and follow some prewritten scripts or other stuff.

Let's not forget the most important thing these guys are humans too they deserve their privacy

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#45 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

I agree with that, as fan I am fine with not having access to everything. I mean, these teams are giving HBO access to a lot of stuff and its obvious, that both teams are uncomfortable having the cameras around. So focusing on the coaches might be easier, also liked this episode. I'm dropping f bombs too especially during huge traffic hours bring not n every sentence. Those are two Original 6 teams they don't need to go out of their way and follow some prewritten scripts or other stuff. Let's not forget the most important thing these guys are humans too they deserve their privacy

Dude <_<, there isn't a pre-writen script. They're not actors, they're hockey players who aren't used to their everyday conversations being filmed, which is why some of it seems awkward. And yes professional athletes and coaches are known to drop quite a few F bombs in the heat of the moment, I don't know why you're having such a hard time accepting that.

Edited by roboturner, 22 December 2013 - 09:47 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

I can understand Babs wanting to have privacy, but then again what's the point of this series if we as fans can't see him calling out players for poor play?

I also agree with others that the Leafs are a more interesting bunch thus far in the series...All these Euros are boring :lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's not the swearing, I surely believe they swear a lot but there are tons of other words in order to do the swearing. The reason why I've stated that is simple, during some older HBO episodes they've had a F bomb counter.

I like the talk on the ice, especially Phaneuf and Crosby talking to each other, rewatched it and thought Brodie with this "want someone to chirp? I f******* give you someone to chirp here"

Babcock and Caryle had every right to kick them out of the room, I mean everyone could see that Babs was really ready to unload, that's not something the whole world needs to see.

Really?  That's what this show is all about our chance to see what happens behind the scenes even the bad stuff.

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Really?  That's what this show is all about our chance to see what happens behind the scenes even the bad stuff.

Agreed - it's on HBO afterall.

Torts, and Boudreau were quite the pair a few years back; neither were camera shy, and both had their moments in which as fans we all enjoyed.

Outside of us Red Wing, and Maple Leaf fans - many are probably thinking that this years' 24/7  is pretty boring.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

It definitely is what the show is all about, however it behooves the HBO crew to comply when someone feels they are intruding too much.  Good relationships between cameramen and hockey personnel = hockey personnel more willing to allow HBO cameras into their lives.  Bad relationships = less cooperation.  Its a bummer that Babs and Carlyle kicked out the cameras, but good on the cameramen to not press the issue.

#50 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

LGW member since 00'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

i wish we saw more from detroit than babcock, abdelkader, alfy and smith. 

#51 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

i wish we saw more from detroit than babcock, abdelkader, alfy and smith. 

I feel like the other seasons of 24/7 showed more interaction between players during practice or workouts, etc.  I don't feel like we've had too much of that this year... I was really looking forward to seeing how Cleary is such a goofball, or Datsyuk's witty humor.

#52 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

I feel like the other seasons of 24/7 showed more interaction between players during practice or workouts, etc.  I don't feel like we've had too much of that this year... I was really looking forward to seeing how Cleary is such a goofball, or Datsyuk's witty humor.

Or show Zetterberg a little.  He is the captain.

I know he's hurt, but he's still around the team, right?  Especially for home games.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#53 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I am finding myself liking Carlyle a whole bunch and Babcock saying his 16 yr old daughter was ready vs. Sammy was great
  • Nev likes this
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#54 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Exactly! They're completely missing this aspect. Well they had the Leafs playing pingpong so that's something. But no showing the Wings pre-game routines? And no Franzen yelling at the ref in Tampa? They need to show more of the casual stuff and less stilted interviews. Smitty and Abby in the car was great, I always enjoy finding out who are really friends off the ice. Good thing is the next 2 episodes should feauture some Red Wings wins and returning players and hopefully be a bit more upbeat for our team, maybe they'll be a bit looser and let the cameras get closer.

Love the show but certainly think they're doing a bad job at getting close to the Wings.

#55 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

The scene towards the end with Kadri looked like HBO was filming either a GQ ad or another installment of the Fast and the Furious series. Do we really need to see a wide angle of Kadri driving his car?

Favorite scene was Babs kicking the cameras out of the locker room. And during the Crosby and Phaneuf in game conversation Phaneuf sounded like a whiney 8 year old.

Overall a good episode though watching the Wings suck it up again was painful.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#56 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Nice job by the league managing to squeeze the required amount of Cindy Crosby.

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Agreed - it's on HBO afterall.

Torts, and Boudreau were quite the pair a few years back; neither were camera shy, and both had their moments in which as fans we all enjoyed.

Outside of us Red Wing, and Maple Leaf fans - many are probably thinking that this years' 24/7  is pretty boring.

See, they weren't camera shy and both teams had a few mediajunkies on their roster, this certainly isn't the case here. Babcock and Carlyle are media pros, they know what they are doing but what about the young guns, guys like Kessel? They are introverted guys, unfomfortable infront of the media so I can understand and respect that. The episode showed Carlyle giving it to his team, yeah it was behind closed doors but the message was clear and every fan could hear it, what more do people want? Seeing him throwing around stuff, kicking walls?

Don't get me wrong I love behind the scenes stuff, but I also respect the privacy situation of the players. Good for the cameraguy not to force his way into the room, like someone mentioned this show needs a healthy relationship between the teams and the camera crew. Another thing I've mentioned before, is the fact that both teams don't need to behave like clowns or are acting like lose cannons, these are established markets. If watching the TorontoMapleLeafs and DetroitRedWings is boring for other fans, guess what? Stop watching, soon these two will be part of the biggest and only! WC breaking a 100.000 spectators - if that's boring for other fans, who cares.

Both coaches already stated, that the cameras are a disctraction for the teams and yet we've seen some on ice stuff, some behind the scene stuff so that's fine, I highly doubt one of the two teams will allow full access to everything and I'm fine with that.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#58 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

i have to admit i find the Leafs portion more interesting. Seeing the Red Wings just sit there and comment into the camera.....whats up with that?

Bring back No. 91

#59 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

The Leafs victory song is a song by Miley Cyrus. They don't deserve a cup for another 40-whatever years.

Only 40 years?  For that punishment, I say it should be never.

I don't blame Mike Babcock for throwing out the cameras, and venting his anger.  I mean, hell, if anyone deserves to vent, he does.  And we did start winning after that, you know.  So maybe it was a good thing.

A friend of mine said she was surprised to hear Pasha saying he wasn't playing good enough.  He's always been so hard on himself, that's normal with him.  But you can't expect to be 100% after taking a whack to the head like he did.  It's gonna take time.  He's coming back around, but something like that, it's to be expected that he'll take a little time to readjust.

Posted Image

#60 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Off topic but shouldn't it be Maple Leaves and not Maple Leafs

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: