• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#241 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

That's fewer than I'd thought. BUT, I think we'd have to go beyond just the number, not necessarily to suit my case against Quincey but because I'm actually genuinely interested. Like, How many of those 21 goals against were scored in very close losses? If the answer is not many, maybe Quincey really isn't all that bad for the team. Or maybe we just need higher quality statsification.

Maybe I'll look into it tomorrow.

The other factor I forgot to consider is that power kill goals against do not count towards +/-, so it is probably much worse than this. 

Another stat I would love to see, but would be hard to calculate, would be what is how many goals against occur when Quincey and Cleary are on the ice together? Quincey and Smith?

In terms questioning whether it's coincidence or if he is the problem, just watch him during the games.  Next to Cleary he is the laziest player on the ice.  I do not just mean he is slow.  Quincey is lazy in every aspect of the game, failing to make plays, and relies heavily on his line-mates.  He does everything really half-assed.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#242 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

So I get to see 1 game each year at the Joe when I go home for Christmas. And, hey, this was it this year. Not the best game to say the least.

Some observations:

They were with 5 D because of Big Rig's injury for half the game, but weirdly enough, the really bad defensive breakdowns came at the beginning when they were full strength.

Hate it when the home crowd boos. I think it just accomplishes nothing. It's a lot of young player that need confidence and the support from fans.

Lots of shots from the perimeter, but not enough forcing pressure in the slot.

Dats really didn't get much support...44+13 often = success but the equation wasn't right tonight

Helm's my fav...thought he was supposed to be back...damn

Was really excited to see Mrazek, but didn't work out great for him

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 24 December 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#243 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

Well I wish everyone a merry Christmas I will see you again before new years :)

#244 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

tootoo%2Bhottub.jpg

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#245 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

To what end?  The way to show you care is by outplaying your opponent from the off, not punching them in the face because they're better than you.

Well said. I've never really understood that mentality. I get wanting to show pride and all that, but my impression - from watching and playing - is that it tends to make you look even more pathetic. You got thrashed, yo. Play hard to close it out, but don't throw a tantrum like the Anaheim Ducks are known to do (unless you're doing it on an internet forum after the fact!)

• Nev likes this

Don't Toews me, bro!

#246 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Feels more appropriate as time goes on.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#247 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

I can't remember exactly who it was but on NHL radio earlier yesterday two former players were talking about games before chrismtas.  One stated "he really couldn't get into the game because his mind was so jacked to see family, some cases being the only time in a year.  So, and it's probably not what fans want to here before some games, but I believe most players are that way."

The show was on about 930-1000 but I didn't catch who was talking. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#248 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

I added it all up. He's been on the ice for 21 goals against this season. I think it's shockingly low, but I wouldn't be surprised if he screwed up a line change and allowed more goals than the stats indicate (a.k.a. "The Cleary Special")

Don`t know how you got to this number, but according to behindthenet.ca he was on the ice for 27 even strength GA and 9 PK GA in 36 games. Add 3 EV GA from the Islanders, 2 EV GA from the Leafs, and 1 PK GA from the Flames game and you get a total number of 32 EV GA and 10 PK GA, ahead of Kronwall (27 EV, 8 PK) and Andersson (24 EV, 10 PK) by a great margin, considering his low offensive input. I think it`s safe to say this guy is poison. 

#249 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

I can't remember exactly who it was but on NHL radio earlier yesterday two former players were talking about games before chrismtas.  One stated "he really couldn't get into the game because his mind was so jacked to see family, some cases being the only time in a year.  So, and it's probably not what fans want to here before some games, but I believe most players are that way."

The show was on about 930-1000 but I didn't catch who was talking. 

That's why choose your games wisely.  When in the West I'd never go see a game after time they came back because most of the time they lose and before the holidays.

#250 DinoTootoo

DinoTootoo

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Two wins in a row with Tootoo, Tootoo goes down back to GR, big fat ugly loss. babcock should try Tootoo in front of the net in the same way Homer/Dino were used by Scotty.

WHY IS CLEARY STILL ON THE ICE? He is ok in the defensive zone, absolutely lousy in the offensive zone. Quincey /Smith are still struggling. Some of their struggles are due to the forwards not back checking well (or fore checking), but come on, just get into your position already and stop trying to do to much. Bert was awful last night too!

Sit Quincey for Kindl. With Ericsson out, bring up Sproul (if they can with cap limitations and all). ryan-miller-on-jordin-tootoo-o.gif

#251 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

I am starting to think this teams problems are a lot to do with the way this team is ran by Bab`s and Holland. Its clear that Bab`s has his favorites and will play those guys before players that are working twice as hard and have more value to the team. What kind of message does this send to the rest of the team? Smith, Quincey and Cleary where -7 in the first period and didn't miss a shift. Because of all the injuries and call ups we now know that we have lots of players that are NHL ready. I am going to hate seeing these guys get sent down so Cleary and Sammy can keep there roster spots. And don't give me the cap bs if Holland wanted these 2 gone he would find away. Holland made a big mistake signing Sammy, Cleary and Quincey. its time to admit it and make moves. Its a good thing this team is in the east because they would not make the playoffs in the west.

#252 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Yes they can bring up Ouellet if needed, they have $7M in cap space as of today with all the LTIR. Bring Tootoo back up as well. I would sit BOTH Q and K and bring up Ouellet and one of Sproul/Marchenko/Almquist...

Babcock, it's time to sit Cleary. Damn, at least sit one of Cleary or Bertuzzi....Tootoo deserves to be in this lineup.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#253 RyaN_84

RyaN_84

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Wow. What a s*** show. The only butt pats I'm giving out tonight are to myself for schlepping my ass down there, standing at the east entrance in the dark for 15 minutes due to a power outage at the Joe, and not punching the douchebro next to me who literally did not stop talking the entire time I was in his presence.

*middle finger*

Merryf****** Christmas.

lol someone's mad..... 

#254 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

lol someone's mad..... 

I would have been too. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#255 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

:lol:

I hate that my humor doesn't always come through on here.

That being said, when I only get to go to one game a year at the Joe and that's the effort they put in?

I'm mad bro.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#256 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm hoping you're not "Jeff O'Neill mad".

Players...throwing a game? I am shocked.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#257 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

tootoo%2Bhottub.jpg

esteef

Now if I had any photoshop skills - I'd have Tootoo's upper torso protruding from the opened belly of a killer whale (or a walrus, or any large marine mammal).

Make it look like Luke Skywalker lying in the belly of the slain Tauntaun.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#258 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Players...throwing a game?

Actually, this would explain everything.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#259 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

That may have been the most boring and lackluster game I've ever been to. And I've been to plenty of games.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#260 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

This unbelievably lousy record at Home got me wondering....which generally leads to looking.

After twenty-two Home games, with a Game Differential of -4, this is the third worst record in Club history, behind only1926-27 (-10) and 1985-86 (-9).

For the record, there have only been eleven negative Game Differential seasons total after twenty-two Home games in a season and five seasons breaking even.

I'm damn near speechless.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.