#1 Namingway

Namingway

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Merry Christmas!

To: Buffalo Sabres

I think we all need a good laugh after tonight's game, so there ya go ;)

Hope you all have a great holiday!

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hahaha, the Sabres deserve a bit of luck like that with the season they're having :lol:

As for Smith, couldn't happen to a more deserving goaltender.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#3 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

Great nothing better than seeing that happen to an overrated goaltender like Smith. 

#4 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Lol that was great.

#5 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

That should have been a no goal.  How can the referee not lose sight of the puck if it's in his pants?  The whistle should have been blown as soon as the ref lost sight.  Even if he saw it go in there, it doesn't mean he can see the puck.  Bad call.

#6 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

So weird. Sometimes they call off a goal with "intent to blow a whistle" because they lose sight of it, and other times they just don't make a call and take it to video review??

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#7 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

If that's the Wings scoring that goal, I guarantee it gets waived off with "intent to blow."

Or Holmstrom was too close to Smith.  Somehow, Holmstrom would be involved.

#8 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

That was beautiful!!!

Mike "Clown Pants" Smith.

This is what happens when you choose to thumb your nose at the League's new "no-tuck" rule.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#9 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

That should have been a no goal.  How can the referee not lose sight of the puck if it's in his pants?  The whistle should have been blown as soon as the ref lost sight.  Even if he saw it go in there, it doesn't mean he can see the puck.  Bad call.

Difference is that if a ref saw the puck go into his jersey/pants and chose not to blow the whistle then it stands. He knows where the puck is he just can't see it. No one will ever know for sure why a whistle didn't get blown but watching the play makes me think that the ref with the best sightline had a good idea that it was wrapped up in Smith somewhere and no one wants to blow a whistle in OT with a potential scoring play still going on. If there was no intent and the puck goes in the net the goal counts. 

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#10 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Difference is that if a ref saw the puck go into his jersey/pants and chose not to blow the whistle then it stands. He knows where the puck is he just can't see it. No one will ever know for sure why a whistle didn't get blown but watching the play makes me think that the ref with the best sightline had a good idea that it was wrapped up in Smith somewhere and no one wants to blow a whistle in OT with a potential scoring play still going on. If there was no intent and the puck goes in the net the goal counts. 

That's now how it works.  If you lose sight, whistle is blown.  99% of the time, the ref knows where the puck is, be it under the goalies pad, under his glove, whatever ,even if he can't see it under there.  If he can't physically see the puck, the whistle is to be blown.  The ref might have seen it go in, but he had no idea where it went.  It could have fallen out or whatever and he not seen that.  Bad call.  Did they go to Toronto on this?

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

That's now how it works.  If you lose sight, whistle is blown.  99% of the time, the ref knows where the puck is, be it under the goalies pad, under his glove, whatever ,even if he can't see it under there.  If he can't physically see the puck, the whistle is to be blown.  The ref might have seen it go in, but he had no idea where it went.  It could have fallen out or whatever and he not seen that.  Bad call.  Did they go to Toronto on this?

A grey area maybe, but not a bad call. The circumstance you're talking about is when the puck is already in the crease and the ref loses sight of it as the goalie is trying to cover it.  It's a much quicker whistle because refs don't want guys hammering away at the goalie to knock the puck loose when it might be frozen.

In this case, Smith is outside the crease when the puck goes up in the air and in his pants, then Smith immediately slides back into the net.  He in no way is trying to cover the puck.  And watching it real time, the ref skates over and blows the whistle after only a couple seconds transpired.  

That happens all the time in hockey when a puck gets stuck in a player's equipment.  The refs wait a couple seconds to see if it'll fall out.  On the overhead you can even see that the puck is visible the whole time.  It didn't disappear into his pants.

The ref never signaled a goal on the ice so I'm guessing this was reviewed in Toronto?

#12 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

The ref never signaled a goal on the ice so I'm guessing this was reviewed in Toronto?

Which is crazy because we could have a legitimate goal and they never even attempt to review it unless it was signaled a goal on the ice.  A certain Brad May shot comes to mind.

Consistency is still the biggest problem in this league's officiating IMO.

Edited by rrasco, 24 December 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#13 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

He's no Patrick Roy.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#14 rbochan

rbochan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

...Rob
The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.

#15 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,994 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

A grey area maybe, but not a bad call. The circumstance you're talking about is when the puck is already in the crease and the ref loses sight of it as the goalie is trying to cover it.  It's a much quicker whistle because refs don't want guys hammering away at the goalie to knock the puck loose when it might be frozen.

In this case, Smith is outside the crease when the puck goes up in the air and in his pants, then Smith immediately slides back into the net.  He in no way is trying to cover the puck.  And watching it real time, the ref skates over and blows the whistle after only a couple seconds transpired.  

That happens all the time in hockey when a puck gets stuck in a player's equipment.  The refs wait a couple seconds to see if it'll fall out.  On the overhead you can even see that the puck is visible the whole time.  It didn't disappear into his pants.

Agreed.

And even if none of that were true, how many times has Smith tried to con the officials? Maybe a little bit of "volitional karma" here?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#16 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

Glad it happened to Smith.

"And the Buffalo Sabres win it in ooooooooooooovvveeeeeeerrrrtimmee!"

My heavens, will I ever miss Jeanneret when he calls it a career. One of my favorite announcers of all time.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 27 December 2013 - 04:32 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien