• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

World Juniors Tourney Thread

Rate this topic

I can already see this "compete level" thing becoming an albatross around Mantha's neck. The kid was a top twenty pick, and in most years probably closer to a top ten pick, but he wasn't tops in his class. As such, there had to be a knock on him and this is the story we got: his compete level isn't high enough". But we fail to contextualize it. Saying Mantha doesn't compete is short for "Mantha is not rated as high as McKinnon because he doesn't compete as hard" and not "Mantha doesn't compete and takes games off".

Sure as s*** though, the first time he goes a few games without playing particularly well some parrot will come out of the woodwork talking about Mantha's compete level. It's the same type of thing as when everyone used to say "Osgood lets in the occasional floater" long after that had been a (minor) problem and in blatant disregard for the fact that almost all goalies let in the occasional floater.

Just a thing repeated for the sake of being repeated.

Mantha has 9 points in 3 games and has worked pretty hard I'd say. I'm not entirely worried about his compete level. He knows how to score and where to go to be open to get the chances. Paterson could have played better but half the goals were deflections or bad bounces with piss poor D coverage in front of him. Matt Dumba is starting to remind me of Ian White with his lazy coverage and his errant breakout passes.

Canuck fan saying Drouin is making Mantha look a lot better than he is playing. Haven't seen any play, so, any comments on that?

Druin was bitching and moaning at the refs the whole game and only played well in short stretches.

I think before the Wings development camp Mantha was a one way sniper, based on what I'd read. However, it seems like he has really pushing himself since then to work on the rest of his game. He will be fine.

Guest mjtm77

Canuck fan saying Drouin is making Mantha look a lot better than he is playing. Haven't seen any play, so, any comments on that?

Not really. He is playing like him self, Verry slick hands and a soild scorer. Down below by the goalie he is like Corey perry. In the offense zone and with the puck he plays like getslav. Only time will tell what he developes into. But he is our most promising prospect for sure. He had a great game. And will most likely be way better than bo horvat

Edgy. Isn't he leading the whole tournament in points

In a 3 way tie with 9 points in 3 games yes.

It's exciting. People used to knock on him saying he was playing the way he was playing because he is in a weaker league. Now he is playing with kids from the other leagues and is still putting up the numbers. He and Drouin complement each other very well.

I also love how Mantha seems to take his game to another level when his team is down. He has been scoring some very timely goals in this tournament. Great to see.

Gee you think "NHL" announcers want Canada to win? USA has about 4 scoring chances, Canada comes back with one and "IT'S ALL CANADA RIGHT NOW!!"

esteef

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.

Oh nevermind, TSN is broadcasting that's why :annoyed:

Edited by Hockeymom1960