Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

World Juniors Tourney Thread

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#61 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

how about those Germans blanking the Czechs to 3! this tourny is full of shocks.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#62 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Mantha 3GP - 4G-5A

Edited by Cloune, 30 December 2013 - 02:13 PM.

• Nev likes this

#63 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

1g, 3a in the comeback victory over Slovaks. Player of the game for the 2nd time in the tournament.

Ferraro said he was"quick on the puck" in his game tying assist to Drouin.

Edited by T.Low, 30 December 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#64 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Great comeback win by Canada. Fun to see Mantha dominate, he obviously posesses great offensive awareness.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#65 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Vancouvers Team 1040 ripping on Patterson: "Is this what it has come to?"

#66 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'll let all of Detroits defensive forwards worry about the defense, mantha can be our ovechkin and I'll be ok with that

#67 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'll let all of Detroits defensive forwards worry about the defense, mantha can be our ovechkin and I'll be ok with that

Canuck fan saying Drouin is making Mantha look a lot better than he is playing. Haven't seen any play, so, any comments on that?

#68 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Canuck fan saying Drouin is making Mantha look a lot better than he is playing. Haven't seen any play, so, any comments on that?

I haven't caught the games either. Just going on comments from this forum. But I don't think I'll take a canucks radio station too serious, mantha obviously has a nose for the net he scores more than a goal per game in the q, has more than a goal per game in this tournament, drouin might be helping him out, but he is also getting assists and scoring, as evidenced by Abby you can't just magically become a point machine because you have a top notch center or winger feeding you pucks.

#69 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

He doesn't have Drouin in Val' Dor and is doing just fine

#70 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ask him how Bo Horvat is doing.

Mantha was picked later than Horvat but is the better player.

#71 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/vi...=72&show=267246

#72 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Ask him how Bo Horvat is doing.

Mantha was picked later than Horvat but is the better player.

Essentially traded Corey Schnieder for him
I was only able to watch Canada's opening game where Mantha netted the hat trick and TSN and Ferraro were praising him all game. Said he had skill that could not be taught

Edited by joesuffP, 30 December 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#73 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Considering Mantha put one on a platter for Drouin I would say its a two way street. Drouin had a secondary assist on Mantha's goal and Mantha was battling in front of the net so you can't say Drouin gifted him that. Mantha will pot the chances he gets - thats all him. He has great instincts around the net and seems to be in the right place. You can't teach that. Its not like Mantha is getting buckets of chances from Drouin and converting a few and his stats look good - he has been very efficient with his scoring opportunities.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#74 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Saw the 2nd and 3rd periods of the game today against the Slovaks... Drouin did look great but Mantha looked great on his own! Nice come back win for Canada too... GO CANADA!

Also, I hope we dont have to wait for Mantha to be 27 before he gets his shot at scoring goals for us... I would rather see him learn the ropes from Pav and Z before they retire! God forbid Mule is his only mentor.....yikes!

"Look kid, you could work hard to contribute all the time but why? Just get a couple of Ram commercials and take as many on ice vacations as your puny little heart desires"

#75 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Pavel setting up Mantha would be sick. I think if the kid keeps playing lights out offensively, and he keeps working on his complete game he won't be waiting too long to make his Wings debut.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#76 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

I can already see this "compete level" thing becoming an albatross around Mantha's neck.  The kid was a top twenty pick, and in most years probably closer to a top ten pick, but he wasn't tops in his class.  As such, there had to be a knock on him and this is the story we got: his compete level isn't high enough".  But we fail to contextualize it.  Saying Mantha doesn't compete is short for "Mantha is not rated as high as McKinnon because he doesn't compete as hard" and not "Mantha doesn't compete and takes games off". 

Sure as s*** though, the first time he goes a few games without playing particularly well some parrot will come out of the woodwork talking about Mantha's compete level.  It's the same type of thing as when everyone used to say "Osgood lets in the occasional floater" long after that had been a (minor) problem and in blatant disregard for the fact that almost all goalies let in the occasional floater.

Just a thing repeated for the sake of being repeated.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#77 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

Mantha has 9 points in 3 games and has worked pretty hard I'd say. I'm not entirely worried about his compete level. He knows how to score and where to go to be open to get the chances. Paterson could have played better but half the goals were deflections or bad bounces with piss poor D coverage in front of him. Matt Dumba is starting to remind me of Ian White with his lazy coverage and his errant breakout passes.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#78 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Druin was bitching and moaning at the refs the whole game and only played well in short stretches.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#79 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

I think before the Wings development camp Mantha was a one way sniper, based on what I'd read. However, it seems like he has really pushing himself since then to work on the rest of his game. He will be fine.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#80 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

He didn't impress me at all

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy