• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Sharpie

Alumni Games...I'm confused

Rate this topic

So ive been scouring the internet trying to find out what the lineups will look like for each game individually. I'll be down there but i want to know what the division of players will be. And looking at the leafs roster...they barely fill 1 roster..let alone 2. Any info or articles that anyone has would be much appreciated!

I noticed the same thing. I have a sneaky suspicion that there will be a few Wings that suit up in a Leaf sweater for the second game. Last I heard, the second game's roster for the Wing's will be Cup winners and Hall inductees, leaving a handful of guys (if they are up to it) to skate for TO.

It could happen. Some of those guys did play for both teams. I'm just surprised that they aren't being featured on the Leafs side as well.

After looking at the Leafs roster, I am surprised that they have so few people. Of course, if the second game is Cup winners, the Leafs might be unwrapping the mummies as we speak. (Oh, that was mean.)

Were you looking at the Wings' official site? Those rosters probably haven't been updated in months. Toronto revealed their rosters on HNIC a few weeks ago, they have PLENTY of guys. (I counted 15 ex-Wings playing for Toronto!!) Here are their rosters, with a partial Wings roster at the end...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-announce-winter-classic-alumni-roster-1.2464465

Edited by joshy207

Guest Crymson

Were you looking at the Wings' official site? Those rosters probably haven't been updated in months. Toronto revealed their rosters on HNIC a few weeks ago, they have PLENTY of guys. (I counted 13 or 14 ex-Wings playing for Toronto!!) Here are their rosters, with a partial Wings roster at the end...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-announce-winter-classic-alumni-roster-1.2464465

That is indeed a partial roster. On first glance, it's missing Robitaille and probably some others also.

I wish Hull would play, but the guy has never been hot on competing at anything less than his best. And, needless to say, his best came and went years ago.

On the subject of Hull, I found this amusing story:

It was the 2001-02 season – Sean Avery’s rookie NHL campaign – and his Detroit Red Wings were taking on the defending-champion Colorado Avalanche. Avery’s reputation as a big-time trash-talker already was well established from his formative years in the Ontario League – and when Avs captain and Hockey Hall-of-Famer Joe Sakic lined up near the Wings bench before a faceoff, Avery stood up and yelled at Sakic to get his attention.

However, in the two or three seconds it took Sakic to turn his head toward Avery, Red Wings veteran and star winger Brett Hull stood up, reached around another Detroit player, grabbed Avery by the back of the jersey and unceremoniously yanked him back to the seated position before he could utter another word.

“You do not get to talk to Mr. Sakic,” Hull said.

And that was that.

Edited by Crymson

I found that story pretty funny as well.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/75656-hull-avery-doesnt-get-to-talk-to-sakic/?hl=avery

That is indeed a partial roster. On first glance, it's missing Robitaille and probably some others also.

I wish Hull would play, but the guy has never been hot on competing at anything less than his best. And, needless to say, his best came and went years ago.

On the subject of Hull, I found this amusing story:

Were you looking at the Wings' official site? Those rosters probably haven't been updated in months. Toronto revealed their rosters on HNIC a few weeks ago, they have PLENTY of guys. (I counted 15 ex-Wings playing for Toronto!!) Here are their rosters, with a partial Wings roster at the end...

That's the one! I knew I'd seen one somewhere. Thanks!

I was looking at the Official NHL Winter Classic page of the Official NHL website. Should have known that they'd not be able to keep up with all of the happenings during this busy One-of-a-kind Outdoor Classic Games Jamboree/Free-for-all.

Demers was the coach who helped pull the Wings out of the basement of the NHL and got them to the Campbell finals 2 years in a row. Before him, they went through coaches like Brett Hull went through sticks. Demers may have had more success in Montreal, but he was Detroit's first really good coach in about 20 years.

**Edit--and since it's Detroit-Toronto, not Detroit-Montreal, it makes perfect sense.

Edited by joshy207

Demers was the coach who helped pull the Wings out of the basement of the NHL and got them to the Campbell finals 2 years in a row. Before him, they went through coaches like Brett Hull went through sticks. Demers may have had more success in Montreal, but he was Detroit's first really good coach in about 20 years.

**Edit--and since it's Detroit-Toronto, not Detroit-Montreal, it makes perfect sense.

Makes sense. Its just when you think of Wings alumni game, Demers is not one of the guys that comes to mind.

http://www.srf.ch/sport/eishockey/spengler-cup/fedorow-vom-allstar-zum-altstar

By the way, Mr.Fedorov is back!!!

He's actually playing because of a lot of injuries. He scored a PP-goal against Geneva yesterday at the Spengler Cup in Davos. Said he's in training since 12 weeks. So he's maybe a very good fit for the alumni team.

Joe Nieuwendyk? That seems like a bit of a stretch.

Why isn't Modano suiting up for Detroit then?