• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HIFI_canadian

Drop the announcer and "Light the lamp goal"

Rate this topic

Is anyone else annoyed with the young announcer and as soon as the wings score at home the announcer right away says "DTE Light the lamp Goal..". I get we have sponsors but I don't know any other building that does that and I've been to a lot of away games.

I know Bud Lynch's absence has something to do with the annoyance but the announcer's voice (no offense to anyone that knows him personally) doesn't fit well with Hockey.

Our college team has one where if the other team takes a penalty it's a Gander Mtn. power play. On the scoreboard it shows the player in the box and it says "Don't Be That Guy"

Yeah but it's a college and they need sponsors. But we're talking about an original 6 NHL Franchise that should be using this sponsor in a different way, let alone the amount of sponsor banners around the scoreboard.
Edited by HIFI_canadian

I know Bud Lynch's absence has something to do with the annoyance but the announcer's voice (no offense to anyone that knows him personally) doesn't fit well with Hockey.

Yeah but it's a college and they need sponsors. But we're talking about an original 6 NHL Franchise that should be using this sponsor in a different way, let alone the amount of sponsor banners around the scoreboard.

LOL like being an original 6 has anything to do with getting money to pay the players salaries or keep the lights on!

Many fans are understanding of all the advertising. It's sad that the next arena won't be named in honor of a man like Joe Louis, but instead will be in honor of the highest bidder.

However, I'm with others that this various advertising gimmick is too far. It detracts from the most exciting thing in hockey, a home team scoring a goal. Goals are few and far between, and pivotal momentum points. Goal celebrations should not be marred by sponsors.

Fans have been very accepting of all the various forms of advertising, including the computer generated advertisements that appear on the boards behind the goalies. Fans reject the DTE goal advertisement because it gets in the way of the atmosphere of the most important part of the game.

Many fans are understanding of all the advertising. It's sad that the next arena won't be named in honor of a man like Joe Louis, but instead will be in honor of the highest bidder.

However, I'm with others that this various advertising gimmick is too far. It detracts from the most exciting thing in hockey, a home team scoring a goal. Goals are few and far between, and pivotal momentum points. Goal celebrations should not be marred by sponsors.

Fans have been very accepting of all the various forms of advertising, including the computer generated advertisements that appear on the boards behind the goalies. Fans reject the DTE goal advertisement because it gets in the way of the atmosphere of the most important part of the game.

Just wait till we start getting all the advertising on the jerseys as well... Sigh

It's only going to get worse over time, they started with the ads along the boards which is fine, but now you are seeing these CG ads on the glass behind the goalie net, stranger arena names, and everything presenting or sponsoring some event in the game. I haven't seen professional sports in the USA advertise on jerseys of the more popular sports like the NFL so i'd assume it would hit those sports before it ever reaching the NHL. I'd guess it would begin with the super bowl, one little advertisement on the helmet and the jersey and then it building off of that, or even a website URL typed within the yellow CG line of scrimmage.

There will be more creatively annoying ways to force more advertising into pro sports as the years go on, it's inevitable. I just hope it doesn't turn into the catastrophe that Holmstrom96 posted above.

Times are changing. As these leagues look for ways to generate more income, they will get more "creative". Uniforms WILL be used for advertising. I wouldn't expect something as gaudy as European uniforms, but a small patch or two on jerseys, maybe a helmet sticker, and something on the pants and/or socks is not a stretch. Reebok's jersey deal expires after 2014/15 (Bauer is rumored to be the frontrunner to take over)... teams that have changed uniforms have gone with something simpler or less cluttered... minor league teams wear small patch ads... it's coming, sooner rather than later.