Photo
- - - - -

Leafs/Wings 24/7 Episode 3 Discussion (12/28)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

What exactly is a "good goal" anyway?  As opposed to a bad goal?  I hate when goals are reviewed and they say it's a "good goal".  It's not a good goal or a bad goal, its either a goal or its not.

Also, when goalies "freeze" the puck. They're not actually freezing it!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

yeah noticing that they are getting quick on shutting down the yt vids

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

A few complaints:

- They sort of skimped on the two wins at the beginning, didn't they? Ours, in particular (the overtime thriller against the Flames). I get that the centerpiece needed to be the WC preview, but, I dunno, it gave me a weird impression. "Oh, hey, by the way, these two teams who keep losing actually won. It was nice. But we're most interested in losses, because that's our whole narrative dealy. DRAMA!"

- Repetition. Predictability. Carlyle overkill. Too much locker room stuff. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if it were the first or second episode, but by this point we know how the coaches and players are going to feel about x or y developments, and that every single player in the NHL says, "f***in' right(, boys)!" every chance he gets.

- Hockey players skating on outdoor rinks and ponds. Is it the Winter Classic? No? Then I really don't care, tbh. Unless there's, like, a hooker there, or something.

- Phaneuf's extension. It took too long. And, for the record, I would be saying the same thing about a Datsyuk or Zetterberg extension. Unless there was a hooker in the background, or something.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the episode. I did. I'm not even saying it was a big let down. I guess I just felt like, overall, it was too much stuff we'd already seen, and some questionable points of focus for the non-game segments. I'm sure it'd be a lot more enjoyable for us if our team hadn't s*** the bed this month. But what can you do...

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

#25 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Everybody quick! Before they take it down! :lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Amazing how useless these coaches' speeches are.  

"Keep skating".  "Wear their D down".  Bla bla bla.  Not exactly groundbreaking comments anyone couldn't figure out themselves. 

I guess whatever X's and O's are involved aren't being shown on this program.  They make the coaches sound like simple minded idiots.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

A few complaints:

- They sort of skimped on the two wins at the beginning, didn't they? Ours, in particular (the overtime thriller against the Flames). I get that the centerpiece needed to be the WC preview, but, I dunno, it gave me a weird impression. "Oh, hey, by the way, these two teams who keep losing actually won. It was nice. But we're most interested in losses, because that's our whole narrative dealy. DRAMA!"

- Repetition. Predictability. Carlyle overkill. Too much locker room stuff. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if it were the first or second episode, but by this point we know how the coaches and players are going to feel about x or y developments, and that every single player in the NHL says, "f***in' right(, boys)!" every chance he gets.

- Hockey players skating on outdoor rinks and ponds. Is it the Winter Classic? No? Then I really don't care, tbh. Unless there's, like, a hooker there, or something.

- Phaneuf's extension. It took too long. And, for the record, I would be saying the same thing about a Datsyuk or Zetterberg extension. Unless there was a hooker in the background, or something.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the episode. I did. I'm not even saying it was a big let down. I guess I just felt like, overall, it was too much stuff we'd already seen, and some questionable points of focus for the non-game segments. I'm sure it'd be a lot more enjoyable for us if our team hadn't s*** the bed this month. But what can you do...

Agree with most of this.  It just all feels too staged and just not really anything new or different.  While Alfie seems like a nice enough guy, I just don't really "care" about him yet, if that makes sense. He's still too new to the Wings. But it seems like he was one of the few Wings who would allow the cameras "in".  Instead of Z skating on a pond, how about exploring his star status in Sweden, along with his wife.  Or Datsyuk's obvious love for his homeland.  The stuff with Brendan Smith, Dekeyser and Alfie wasn't bad, but would have loved to have learn more about guys like Z and Pav, Kronwall, Franzen, etc.

The series has been a major disappointment to me so far. 

#28 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

I think Santa at the Alfredssons' house may have been Homer.  LOL~

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#29 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Ball and Biscuit for DK's montage, nice

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#30 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

It's not so much HBO forcing awkward conversations on our guys, but more of our guys trying to do something for the cameras which turns out to be really awkward.

i.e. frickin' Cleary talking to Siri about Datsyuk while hes right next to him.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#31 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

did anyone see howies winter classic mask? pretty sick. references the wolverine helmets.

1503922_10151838892147055_486366109_n.jp

#32 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Drew Miller gets chirped hard by Matt Martin :lol: Best part of this episode.

#NOMOREKINDL

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

This show needs more Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren.  

Joffrey Lupul is not the 2nd coming of Gretzky.  He shouldn't be getting all this air time.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think they're featuring the guys who are willing to face the cameras.  It seems like most of them aren't.  I guess you can't force them to, but seems like HBO sure didn't get their money's worth and it hasn't been very watchable.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

It was cool getting to see DK and Smith a bit.

Kadri sure doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And if you thought the Babcock glare was scary, his snarl in the locker room is worse. 

You can see why guys want Cleary on the team.  There's no questioning his compete level and how personally he takes it every time the Wings get scored on.  It's got to be frustrating that he just can't manage to compete the way he wants anymore. 

As for the shortcomings of the show, I think a big part of that is how quickly they need to turn it around and air it. This episode the last footage was shot at least Christmas Eve and aired four days later.  It would be different if they could follow the guys around for months and then construct the series over the course of several more months.

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

I liked the show but kudos to players from both teams, I wouldn't allow them to film my house, family and gf that's just too far into privacy. Hats off to Danny K for signing all these autographs while just wanting to eat something, another great example of why hockeyplayers are the most humble team sport athletes by far and bar none.

Loved how Alfie talked about keeping their swedish traditions but also adjusting to the american lifestyle, man would I have loved to have this guy in his prime here.

Also the difference between Babcock and Carlyle is huge, now I can see why the players are getting sick of his act it's always "compete, let's go, work hard" Babs on the other side is giving instructions on what to and how to do it beetter.

I also think this show could need more Orr and Frazer McLaren seeing both of these mammoths train and preparing for fights would be nice.

btw. thanks for the link I'd advise everyone to download it before they take it down :( btw 2 the quality is superb nice job

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#37 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

tumblr_mylf81lPQw1qb4rpho1_400_zps3de85d

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#38 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

Drew Miller gets chirped hard by Matt Martin :lol: Best part of this episode.

Not only do the wings get beat up physically, they get beat up verbally  :lol: The part with Bert and the bottle was funny. He was successful in getting under their skin. 

#39 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

did anyone see howies winter classic mask? pretty sick. references the wolverine helmets.

1503922_10151838892147055_486366109_n.jp

Too bad the wolverine helmets are so ugly... I like the Howard mask though

When we saw Bert and Clarkson talking during the game, my brother and I assumed Clarkson was asking hert to fight. We both were excited to see how the conversation played out on 24/7... An argument about a water bottle was not what we expected. loved it though!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#40 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Not only do the wings get beat up physically, they get beat up verbally  :lol: The part with Bert and the bottle was funny. He was successful in getting under their skin. 

I have friends that are actually trying to get Red Wings water bottles so they can send them to Clarkson. :lol: