Photo
- - - - -

Leafs/Wings 24/7 Episode 3 Discussion (12/28)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Too bad the wolverine helmets are so ugly... I like the Howard mask though
When we saw Bert and Clarkson talking during the game, my brother and I assumed Clarkson was asking hert to fight. We both were excited to see how the conversation played out on 24/7... An argument about a water bottle was not what we expected. loved it though!

wolverine helmets are awesome

#42 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Did anyone pay attention to the part where Babs talks about the morning skate? He says that because he has "Kids" on the team he has to make morning skate mandatory, Implying that young players are not as good/ready blah blah blah. He says that if it was mostly vets he wouldn't have to make it mandatory.

I for one always beleived Babs and Holland favored vets for a variety of reasons. But that exchange made, at least to me, it seem like to me that young players are just basically completely unappreciated here. thoughts?

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

Did anyone pay attention to the part where Babs talks about the morning skate? He says that because he has "Kids" on the team he has to make morning skate mandatory, Implying that young players are not as good/ready blah blah blah. He says that if it was mostly vets he wouldn't have to make it mandatory.

I for one always beleived Babs and Holland favored vets for a variety of reasons. But that exchange made, at least to me, it seem like to me that young players are just basically completely unappreciated here. thoughts?

Not really.  Kids need more practice.  It's like that with anything you do.  If you've been doing something for 20 years, you're probably as good as you're going to get at it.  If you're 20 years old, there's still a lot of room to grow.

Another thing is that the kids are still getting used to the NHL game, and since they're call-ups, they're still fitting into the lineup and getting used to their teammates.  The vets that have been here a while know each others' tendencies, and the ones like Alfie may not know the individuals, but they've been around enough to adjust quickly.

Both the need for practice and the need for making them more comfortable in their surroundings are reasons to have the kids practice more.

Other thoughts:  "Go dye your hair."  Really?  That's like calling the fat kid "fatso".  Shows no originality or effort.  -oooooooh burn, did you wake up at three in the morning thinking "hey!  he has grey hair!  I'll tell him to dye it!"- Don't quit your day job.

Nice bit on DeKe.  It's what the series needs: more slow-mo getting-dressed shots not involving equipment.  The whole "putting on skates and/or pads in slow-mo" is getting old.

Johan's Eddie is getting to be a big boy.  Cute as a little muffin.

Hank moved three years ago?  After he and Emma re-did the kitchen in their old house?  Wow.  That rich and still flipping houses.  Wonder if this one was a fixer-upper too.  That would be a cool show.  Hockey + DYI = my kind of show.

Smith's dad is funny.  Loved the "went down like a cheap suit" comment.  Was waiting for "hooker" rather than "suit" but I guess even dads draw the line somewhere.

Not in the show, but would have been cool props:  Dec. 19th was 3 years of sobriety for Tootoo.  Good for him. 

#44 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

Pretty good episode, but the intermission part during the NY Islanders game was shocking. Babs trying to get the guys going with a "let's go" at the end of his speech... and you could hear a pin drop as he was walking out. After one bad period and that was it, game over. Lack of leadership during that intermission

#45 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Did anyone else hear at the end of the wings goung iver the Calgary game, after that brutal eaves beard shot, right before the screen goes blank, it sounds distinctly like some yells eff you **ers?

Or maybe they said hookers.

#46 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Pretty good episode, but the intermission part during the NY Islanders game was shocking. Babs trying to get the guys going with a "let's go" at the end of his speech... and you could hear a pin drop as he was walking out. After one bad period and that was it, game over. Lack of leadership during that intermission

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I was surprised Babs didn't turn around and go "I said LETS GO!" because there was absolutely zero response in the locker room.

But overall, the best episode so far, seemed like more focus on the games, especially the one in Toronto, obviously.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I don't know about lack of leadership, but he nailed the problem- no emotion, going through the motions, all that.  They had given up before it was over.  The coach has to have the senior players backing him up there.  They're the ones who have to rise up, dig in, and motivate the others.

There was a game against Chicago 6 or 7 years ago where we lost 6-0.  Malts and Cheli were the only players on the team who put any effort into that game.  They were too old to actually make a difference, but they tried to lead by example.  They were what Cleary has become.

#48 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I watched most of the episode on DVR this morning (was out of town).  I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I'm about 90% sure that DeKeyser is staying in the Lakeshore Towers in Grosse Pointe Shores (and was eating on Mack Avenue).  Pretty cool since it's like minutes from where I grew up.

I mean, given that I've been anticipating these episodes for almost two years (or whenever they announced the original Winter Classic for the lockout season), a let-down of some degree was inevitable.  George Malik of Kukla's site wrote a lengthy article ripping the series a new one.

But I think there are reasons we are (and aren't) seeing what we're seeing.  You can't tell me that HBO went into this thing planning to focus on guys like Smith, Deke, and Abdelkader at the expense of Datsyuk and Kronwall. I think there are limitations to what they are able to get.  Keep in mind the following, also:

• Datsyuk was concussed/recovering for much of late November/early December, which certainly limited the access they would have to jam a camera in his face and interview him all day.
  • The strongest "narrative" episode of 24/7 is always the first one (This was true for Bryzgalov, Boudreau, etc.), since they have the most time to plan out what they want to do.  The later episodes have a few family visits and a bunch of game clips thrown in.
  • If both Babcock and Carlyle can toss cameras out of their locker room, I find it hard to believe that the teams/players don't have other methods of restricting access to players
  • Some of the most fascinating stories on the Wings side are ones that HBO isn't willing to tell.  Most notably, Marek/Wyshinski's idea after the Bert/Corona screen shot that the series could look at the Steve Moore incident and his reinvention/redemption as a tough-but-subtle veteran who has avoided discipline issues (obvious PR/legal issues with showing that).

My point is, there ARE great stories to be told on the Wings side, HBO just can't tell them.  The failure to get Datsyuk in front of a camera a la Bryzgalov for more than a few minutes and just see what he'd say is still pretty baffling to me in the past two episodes.  All in all, it's still an enjoyable product and a unique opportunity paired with the Winter Classic, but it's taken a step back this year.

#49 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't know about lack of leadership, but he nailed the problem- no emotion, going through the motions, all that.  They had given up before it was over.  The coach has to have the senior players backing him up there.  They're the ones who have to rise up, dig in, and motivate the others.

There was a game against Chicago 6 or 7 years ago where we lost 6-0.  Malts and Cheli were the only players on the team who put any effort into that game.  They were too old to actually make a difference, but they tried to lead by example.  They were what Cleary has become.

No, that was a clear indication of lack of leadership in the locker room. Pavs, Alfie, Bert, or even Cleary needed to setup and get some energy going but no one did. I would have loved to see someone stand up and rant a la Brett Hull The Season. That is exactly what the young kids need to hear, wake the f up and play the teams game, not your way but the teams way.

Oh and that one scene where Cleary was saying something and you can see Babs in the background, barf!!! 

#50 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

No, that was a clear indication of lack of leadership in the locker room. Pavs, Alfie, Bert, or even Cleary needed to setup and get some energy going but no one did. I would have loved to see someone stand up and rant a la Brett Hull The Season. That is exactly what the young kids need to hear, wake the f up and play the teams game, not your way but the teams way.

Oh and that one scene where Cleary was saying something and you can see Babs in the background, barf!!! 

Oh- I get what you're saying now.  I went back and re-read your post that I had originally responded to.

I thought you were saying that Babs had a lack of leadership.  I now realize that you were saying that the team had a lack of leadership from within its ranks.

Yeah- I totally agree with that.  Sorry for the confusion.

#51 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

tumblr_mylf81lPQw1qb4rpho1_400_zps3de85d

pretty much exactly what he looks like during a game too

#52 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

What exactly is a "good goal" anyway?  As opposed to a bad goal?  I hate when goals are reviewed and they say it's a "good goal".  It's not a good goal or a bad goal, its either a goal or its not.

The kick is up, and it's goo,..uh, ...an extra point!

#53 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

I watched most of the episode on DVR this morning (was out of town).  I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I'm about 90% sure that DeKeyser is staying in the Lakeshore Towers in Grosse Pointe Shores (and was eating on Mack Avenue).  Pretty cool since it's like minutes from where I grew up.

That's awesome!  The scene where Abby and Smith were driving into Detroit for practice from the second episode, and they saw that truck spin out was like three blocks from my house. 

Side note: my friend used to work at a restaurant in Royal Oak, and based on what he's told me, combined with HBO and other media sources, I'm like 90% sure that Helm, Abby, Smith, and Tatar all live in those nice condos on Main St. in Royal Oak.  Does that make me creepy? :ninja:

#54 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

That's awesome!  The scene where Abby and Smith were driving into Detroit for practice from the second episode, and they saw that truck spin out was like three blocks from my house. 

Side note: my friend used to work at a restaurant in Royal Oak, and based on what he's told me, combined with HBO and other media sources, I'm like 90% sure that Helm, Abby, Smith, and Tatar all live in those nice condos on Main St. in Royal Oak.  Does that make me creepy? :ninja:

No.  Creepy is when you run out and buy a bunch of makeup and dress up as the Avon Lady to find out for sure.

I'm not sure if I'd want the camera crews to give too many hints about where I lived.  Most of us are just interested, but there are stalkers out there.  If I was a player, especially one with kids, I'd be keeping it a bit more low-key.

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

No.  Creepy is when you run out and buy a bunch of makeup and dress up as the Avon Lady to find out for sure.

I'm not sure if I'd want the camera crews to give too many hints about where I lived.  Most of us are just interested, but there are stalkers out there.  If I was a player, especially one with kids, I'd be keeping it a bit more low-key.

That's the creepy part about it, I mean, Alfie almost showed his whole house. The wrong information in the hands of people with wrong intentions doesn't fit well. Personally I would have problems with showing my car too, because you never know with all those idiots and stalkers worldwide.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#56 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

I liked the show but kudos to players from both teams, I wouldn't allow them to film my house, family and gf that's just too far into privacy. Hats off to Danny K for signing all these autographs while just wanting to eat something, another great example of why hockeyplayers are the most humble team sport athletes by far and bar none.

Loved how Alfie talked about keeping their swedish traditions but also adjusting to the american lifestyle, man would I have loved to have this guy in his prime here.

Also the difference between Babcock and Carlyle is huge, now I can see why the players are getting sick of his act it's always "compete, let's go, work hard" Babs on the other side is giving instructions on what to and how to do it beetter.

I also think this show could need more Orr and Frazer McLaren seeing both of these mammoths train and preparing for fights would be nice.

btw. thanks for the link I'd advise everyone to download it before they take it down :( btw 2 the quality is superb nice job

I did enjoy Carlyle's little speech how players should engage their opponents during the faceoff...Some Wings should take that advice as well.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#57 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Kudos to whichever Leaf told Miller to go dye his hair

#58 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

It was Matt Martin (of the Islanders, not the Leafs)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#59 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

A guy I grew up playing hockey with played college with JVR, seems like a pretty cool kid. I'd love it if he'd wear a Wings jersey. I was hoping to hear from more of a variety of players. Seems like the only players they talk to for the most part are Smith and Lupul. I'd love to hear something on Tootoo or Bert off the ice.

#60 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

lol drew miller sucks, matt martin for the win

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!