• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

Trading Howard would be unwise and a safe way to take is us out of the elite team category.

Edited by RyanBarnes!, 30 December 2013 - 01:54 AM.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#22 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

sproul ftw

.....Oulette (sp?)

Edited by CMatt89, 30 December 2013 - 02:50 AM.

#23 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

I might be in the that small party that doesn't want a trade at this point. I'm not saying this team is a bust and won't make playoffs but in terms of trade we don't have the cap room or pieces to make something happen that makes us a contender.

Guys we want to trade Cleary, Quincey, bertuzzi, and franzen are not that highly desired by other teams. As far as the players with value to trade are our young prospects that have cheap contracts. You can't replace them with someone who makes more because of cap room and in the end a slight upgrade and more contract won't help anything when you still have those original 4 eating up cap and ice time.

I rather just muscle through the season and try to pick up a key asset in the off season when cleary, Quincey, bertuzzi, Sammy are all off the books... Heck only 1 of them should be playing per night and they take about 2/3 players worth of roster.

In the end there is no short term solution that makes us legit contenders this season but if we push through, bring up kids, and add the RIGHT pieces not the "panic" piece it will be a lot better situation for us long run.

I could not agree more. For me, I see a lot of good young promising players (tatar, smith, nyqvist, jurco, mrazek, sheahan etc) that with the right amount of ice time/opportunity/veteran support could bring us back to the top. Obviously we are going to need a few more pieces than that, but IMO things are looking up. Letting sammy, cleary and quincey (possibly Bert too although knowing KH he'll probably be re-signed) walk will help in bringing these kids along further.

In this day and age, no GM would be stupid enough (surely not, unless Mike Milbury takes over the Islanders again) to take any of our overpaid players. Let the kids play, and wait and see.

temp 1

#24 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

Girardi gets vastly overrated once again. Are you aware of how bad he's been for the past season and a half? Do you really want another defenseman who will make mistakes on a regular basis?

He always looked pretty good when I watched him. Maybe since he plays with staal. He's always playing against the other team top players. He's got to be better than Quincey at this point.

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Here's a blockbuster deal that someone over at Hfboards advanced:

To Detroit:

Andrei Markov

Montreal's 2012 second rounder

To Montreal:

Anthony Mantha

Priceless.  Don't you just want to pat them on the head sometimes for coming up with this stuff.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

He's got to be better than Quincey at this point.

That's not saying much.

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Trading a scoring forward when your team lacks scoring is a bad idea. Trading your good goalie when your defense sucks is also a bad idea. I like Gus, but does anyone really think he will stay consistent and perform as a starter? Maybe, but that's a huge gamble.

I'd rather trade prospects for anotger stable defender to replace Quincey or Kindl. We have tons of prospects and can't use them all.

Of course, then there are cap issues.

So basically, no trades this year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Trading your good goalie when your defense sucks is also a bad idea. I like Gus, but does anyone really think he will stay consistent and perform as a starter? Maybe, but that's a huge gamble.

Not unless he learns to control those rebounds. If not, he will never be anything more than a back up.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#29 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Nobody here has any faith in the players we have huh?

Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Mantha, Sproul, Quellet.... On top of Helm, Abdelkador, Dekeyser, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen, Ericsson and Miller.

All good pieces from top 6 to bottom 6 and defense. I don't think our team can afford to acquire a free agent that requires a big salary or we will be kissing these players good-bye in the near future.

Nyquist and Tatar already showed that they are going to be a big part of our future. Jurco already showed us that he will be a good NHL player in the very near future. At 20 years old this kid came up played in the top 6 and looked solid all-around. Sproul and Mantha are to far away to tell still, but on the plus side they are the most promising prospects we had in along time.

Our future is bright and near. Our team this year will be tough once we get healthy and on rythem. Don't underestimate our team. We as of right now have the deepest forward unit we have had in years. Our team stays healthy and a couple of your D step up and we are contenders this year

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Maybe we can trade Steven Weiss for 1,000 shares of Blockbuster stock.  

I'd prefer Tim Horton's...mmmm donuts!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Which team would trade a top skater for Jimmy Howard?  

Islanders. Nabby is old.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#32 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Trading Howard would be foolish. You want to ride Gustavsson, who has been bad far more often in his career than he has been good (as happy as I am with his play this year), and Mrazek, a kid who can barely find his ass with both hands and a map when it comes to NHL hockey?

Whoever actually wants that...good luck to you.

Edited by DatsyukToZetterberg, 30 December 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#33 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

trade Howie before his stock gets any lower guys  :sleepy:

to  Buffalo  Howard

Quincey

Tootoo

2nd r pick

to Detroit     Miller

Tallinder

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#34 sherwood40

sherwood40

Rookie

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Ryan Miller looks great to me. He would buy enough time before Mrzak comes into play more. Sammy needs to go also.

#35 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

trade Howie before his stock gets any lower guys  :sleepy:

to  Buffalo  Howard
                     Quincey
                      Tootoo
                      2nd r pick

to Detroit     Miller
                      Tallinder

Howard can't be traded...has a NMC

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I would for sure swap Howard for Miller.

I don't think they would take Tootoo, but heck, throw Quincey and Kindl in along with a pick/prospect for Ott and Erhoff.

to BUF:  Jimmy Howard, Kyle Quincey, Jakub Kindl, Prospect (Ferraro maybe)

to DET:  Ryan Miller, Steve Ott, Christain Erhoff

Blockbuster!

pumpkin...many players with NMC/NTC have been traded and moved.  They simply yea or nay a trade and agree to waive their clause. It happens a lot.  NMC or not ANYONE is tradeable, it just takes a little more cooperation.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#37 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

I don't see Howard doing that and I'm well aware they can be waived by the player
Then you have to resign Miller since he's a FA after the season...no thanks..besides the wings aren't trading Howard

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

I agree with you pumpkin, but I was just responding to you saying Howard CAN'T be traded, when in fact, he can.

But ya, Wings won't trade him because they stick with the guys they draft no matter how bad they become (Franzen) and continue to hope they return to the form they had a few years ago...so ya, you are right no matter how crappy Howard becomes and how many game he costs them, he won't be asked to waive his NTC.

Gotta love that Ken Holland and some of the things he does!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#39 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Cleary for Ott straight up.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#40 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Trading Howard would be unwise and a safe way to take is us out of the elite team category.

Detroit isn't an elite team. They are literally middle of the pack, at 15th out of 30 teams in league. I say go for bust and line up for the McDavid lottery. I am not down on Howard, but, people either severely over rate him or underrate him. He's a Chris Osgood, not a Manny Legace or a Hasek. He's going to be pretty good most of the time, great sometimes, but, beyond that a product of the team that's in front of him.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt