• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Howard on U.S. Olympic Roster

Rate this topic

Like everyone else here ... i must say, pleasantly surprised. I have to think the pickins are slim. Guess Thomas didn't make the cut :lol: ... comeback didn't quite impress.

Good in another way, I'm Canadian :cool: ... if there was ever a time I wouldn't mind if JH performed badly, it'd be at Sochi.

And if US plays Sweden ... that'd be interesting, wouldn't it?

Well unfortunately for you and our cousins up north, Ryan Miller is playing out of his mind right now so prepare to get another taste of that same old medicine from 2010.

Here's hoping our boys stand tall this time around. Though I'm a little worried about the team now that Poile is the GM. Burke put together a hell of a team four years ago.

Gave Jimmy a 50/50 shot at making the team with his numbers this year. In reality they got the goalies right. Miller, Quick, and Howard are the best 3 American netminders right now. There are some quite questionable other players on the roster. Jimmy is clearly #3 and Ive seen some say they wish he wouldnt have really made it because of that. I disagree. I think it can be a good thing for Howard. Had he not made he basically gets 3-4 weeks off. Sure the Wings will practice but it will be nothing like the US practices he will be involved. The fact that there is "always a chance" some fluke things happen and he will have to man the net will make him work harder and hopefully find his game more than vacation practices could have. He doesnt need extra rest. He needs games and intense practices to find his game.

Edited by GoalieManPat

USA takes guys like Orpik over guys like buff cause of track records and were not trying to run and gun with the best, we're trying to shut them down.

USA takes guys like Orpik over guys like buff cause of track records and were not trying to run and gun with the best, we're trying to shut them down.

Gave Jimmy a 50/50 shot at making the team with his numbers this year. In reality they got the goalies right. Miller, Quick, and Howard are the best 3 American netminders right now. There are some quite questionable other players on the roster. Jimmy is clearly #3 and Ive seen some say they wish he wouldnt have really made it because of that. I disagree. I think it can be a good thing for Howard. Had he not made he basically gets 3-4 weeks off. Sure the Wings will practice but it will be nothing like the US practices he will be involved. The fact that there is "always a chance" some fluke things happen and he will have to man the net will make him work harder and hopefully find his game more than vacation practices could have. He doesnt need extra rest. He needs games and intense practices to find his game.

Bishop should go over Howard

I don't think bishop should... Howard isn't just going for his performance this year, they also pick for the future years and the experience, bishop has player what 3-4 months of good hockey, Howard 3 years... Miller won't be around next year which could leave a tandem of Howard and Quick which I believe they are confident in when both are at the top of their game... Bishop hasn't even played playoffs has he, and people think he is ready for the drive of the Olympics?

I don't think bishop should... Howard isn't just going for his performance this year, they also pick for the future years and the experience, bishop has player what 3-4 months of good hockey, Howard 3 years... Miller won't be around next year which could leave a tandem of Howard and Quick which I believe they are confident in when both are at the top of their game... Bishop hasn't even played playoffs has he, and people think he is ready for the drive of the Olympics?

Bishop should go over Howard

Howard is more of a proven commodity than Bishop. Bishop has had a strong 4 months to coincide with Howards slump. Bishop hasn't proven that whats hes doing now isnt more than a hot streak. Howard has proven to be able to carry a team. If s*** hits the fan for team USA they want someone whos proven he can take a team on his back over a guy whos really only playing consistently strong hockey for the first time in his career.

Let's keep in mind this is about the 3rd string goalie. So basically someone who will sit on the bench if even that for most of the games. Going with an experienced one is way better than going with someone, who has been hot for a few months because the guy needs to come in super cold and be at least servicable not an easy job far from it.

I'm really old. I preferred it when the NHL season wasn't shut down for weeks for a bunch of Olympic hockey games that will be poorly televised.

Playoff intensity hockey instead of duldrum of the regular season February hockey.....ya I hate it to.....

He should say thanks but no thanks and get his s*** together for the team that signs his pay checks.

Country > Club

Edited by GoalieManPat

I'm really old. I preferred it when the NHL season wasn't shut down for weeks for a bunch of Olympic hockey games that will be poorly televised.

And that's when you have to realize that for the rest of the world, the NHL is what's poorly televised and the Olympics are an amazing opportunity to actually see all the best players in the word on live television.

Not to mention it's a great tournament that the players and fans love.

Guest Crymson

Wow. He shouldn't be on that team. I might even take Schneider over him on the team right now. What about Ben Bishop? Is he not a top goalie this year? He is a finalist for the Vezina at this point.

Bylsma has said that he's going with body of work over just this season.