Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/1 Winter Classic 2014 GDT: Maple Leafs 3, Red Wings 2 (F/SO)

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#461 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

SMITH AWESOME READ

He's been really good lately.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#462 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Great pression, forecheck and hit by Bertuzzi and we just scored. Old school hockey
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#463 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

there you go Babcock, get the tying goal and follow up with Cleary....you're fired.

I wont lie, Cleary looked somewhat decent on that last rush. That Leafs player must be really slow because Cleary looked fast.

#464 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

No.  Dats buries lots.  Cleary just made a nice pass to Miller though I'll give him that.  Back to the last part though, Dats has over 30 points this year.  Cleary has 3 goals, 3 assists, -7 with basically the same ice time as Dats and Z.  I'm done with Cleary.

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with how he's played today. He's been great.

#465 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Let's Go Red Wings!!!

Let's get them rattled.  Jam it in boys

#466 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Cleary had been solid.

#467 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Right.  And they're all garbage.  It's 15 degrees out and snowing, but Cleary is somehow held to a higher standard than other forwards on this team? 

Datsyuk, Tatar, Zetterberg, and Nyquist have all had great chances they didn't bury either.  And they have a lot better hands than Cleary.

It's hilarious that even when half the team is invisible out there, Cleary gets flack for playing well and getting scoring chances.  If it were anyone else people would be talking about how he's been buzzing today and hopefully will bury one.

Maybe cause he shouldn't be on the team anyways.  He's the reason that Nyquist and his larger skill set started in GR this year.  Cleary WILL be the whipping boy all year cause he should have been the odd man out cause it's a business and you're supposed to win.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#468 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

can we all drop the cleary hate for now lol we got a great game going guys and gals

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#469 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Smith is solid YOUNG Def.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#470 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

No.  Dats buries lots.  Cleary just made a nice pass to Miller though I'll give him that.  Back to the last part though, Dats has over 30 points this year.  Cleary has 3 goals, 3 assists, -7 with basically the same ice time as Dats and Z.  I'm done with Cleary.

Where do you get your stats from?  Cleary averages almost half the time as Dats and Z.  (20-21 minutes for Dats and Z as opposed to 13 for Cleary)

#471 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Stand tall Jimmy

#472 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Any update on Eaves? 

#473 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Right.  And they're all garbage.  It's 15 degrees out and snowing, but Cleary is somehow held to a higher standard than other forwards on this team? 

Datsyuk, Tatar, Zetterberg, and Nyquist have all had great chances they didn't bury either.  And they have a lot better hands than Cleary.

It's hilarious that even when half the team is invisible out there, Cleary gets flack for playing well and getting scoring chances.  If it were anyone else people would be talking about how he's been buzzing today and hopefully will bury one.

But nobody is saying he's costing us the game.  Just that you were overstating the case for him, I think.  I'm pretty sure two of those chances he had were mere inches from the goalpost.  But anyway, let's move beyond mere scoring chances.  He's falling down, he's not carrying the puck, he can make short passes, but so can everyone else.  I only brought him up because he's out there so freaking much despite contributing very little other than those chances.  I just wonder why he's out there in the situations he's been in instead of someone with more talent.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#474 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

It's the Winter Classic, who knows when we get another one. Does this really need to turn into ANOTHER Cleary bash fest? I mean seriously, can't we just watch and enjoy the game without irrationally nitpicking about a guy who has done nothing to earn grief this entire game? 

It would be awesome because it's getting old.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#475 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

CBC feed went down - they switched to what looks like the NBC feed now

#476 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

What was someone saying about the Wings lacking "heart" ????  This has been a very solid effort and game. Only wish Howard played like this the other night in Nashville

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#477 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Abdelkader is a BEAST

#478 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Maybe cause he shouldn't be on the team anyways.  He's the reason that Nyquist and his larger skill set started in GR this year.  Cleary WILL be the whipping boy all year cause he should have been the odd man out cause it's a business and you're supposed to win.

All that anger should be directed at Holland, not Cleary.   All Cleary does is bust his ass every game.

#479 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Way to go CBC. Feed cuts out and they're forced to use the international broadcast.

#480 S.H.M.B.

S.H.M.B.

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

CBC feed went down - they switched to what looks like the NBC feed now

Strader. I'll take it.