Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/1 Winter Classic 2014 GDT: Maple Leafs 3, Red Wings 2 (F/SO)

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#621 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

If we can out-shoot the competetion 43-26 every night, I'm pretty sure we will win more than we lose.  SO aside, I thought Jimmy looked strong tonight.

Reasons we lost

1)  Bernier

2)  Refs.  No misconduct for Lupul, ignored all the Leafs hooking and holding in the first 2 periods when we were outplaying them, bogus call on Kindl

3)  Bernier

4)  3 gilt edged chances landing on the stick (or not) of Dan Cleary

5)  Bernier

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#622 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

No Yandle or Ryan on the Olympic roster?? 

No room for Yandle, Brooks Orpik has to play.

#623 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Well, he's definitely the 3rd goalie. Don't really see him playing much at all.

Which is why I'd rather he just not go, honestly. 

#624 Fonzarelli

Fonzarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Great, entertaining game. But I have to say the Wings are the biggest shootout chokers, ever.

#625 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Sure wish Cleary would somehow stop being completely useless. 3 grade A chances completely wasted by him.

Which probably no other player would have gotten. Regarding his abilities Datsyuk for example was nearly invisible out there. Cleary wasn't good so far in this season but in this game he was one of our best. Can't get all the hate today.

Is it wrong of me to think they picked Howard for the Olympics in part for the Winter Classic announcement potential?

To be clear I think he played great today up to the shootout, but don't think he really deserved the Olympic nod based on his play this season (plus I'd rather he have the break).

Not at all. Based on this years play Bishop should have been the No.2-3. But it's still a long way to go till Feburary and God knows who's in good or bad shape then, so in my opinion Howard is a more save and solid choice over a goalie who played good for just two months. And Howie was good tonight.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#626 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

c'mon that was a piss poor performance in the shootout for jimmy the winning goal was flubbed and still went through a huge hole he left open. he was determined to lose that shootout. once again we lose a game we would have won if gus was in net. but morale victories right

ridiculous! Howie made some huge stops in the game

#627 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Which is why I'd rather he just not go, honestly. 

Agreed, but I bet he will get plenty of rest. It will be an incredible experience for him :clap: .

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#628 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

No room for Yandle, Brooks Orpik has to play.

Because Bylsma gets a homer card?

No Ryan or Yandle is a head scratcher.  Or even Jack Johnson, though I'm not really a fan of his.

#629 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

If we can out-shoot the competetion 43-26 every night, I'm pretty sure we will win more than we lose.  SO aside, I thought Jimmy looked strong tonight.

Reasons we lost

1)  Bernier

2)  Refs.  No misconduct for Lupul, ignored all the Leafs hooking and holding in the first 2 periods when we were outplaying them, bogus call on Kindl

3)  Bernier

4)  3 gilt edged chances landing on the stick (or not) of Dan Cleary

5)  Bernier

Right?  And Eaves did not return so we played a forward short all game.  Advantage Leafs.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#630 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

The US picked a lot of large, bruising forwards, but that team seems too slow for Olympic hockey on a large, international rink.

Talking about guys like Wheeler, Backes and Carlson.   

Edited by GMRwings1983, 01 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#631 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Which probably no other player would have gotten. Regarding his abilities Datsyuk for example was nearly invisible out there. Cleary wasn't good so far in this season but in this game he was one of our best. Can't get all the hate today.

Yes Dats was clearly invisible. Especially since he was the one who put the first chance for Cleary on a platter out front which Cleary flubbed. As well as being the only Wing who could consistently carry the puck into the Leafs zone while maintaining control and setting up the offense. Scored the only wings goal in the shootout. Yes I agree totally invisible. 

#632 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

WELP!

We weren't going to win the Stanley Cup this year, so I REALLY wanted them to win this one at least... *sigh*

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#633 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Great, entertaining game. But I have to say the Wings are the biggest shootout chokers, ever.

While that is certainly true, its also frustrating that these other teams come in and score with such ease on Jimmy by just taking a wrist shot...not sure why our guys have yet to truly figure that out

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#634 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Fun game , we looked strong and very active. I will take that effort from here on out. Add a healthy Mule, Helm and get Weiss going and we will be in good shape this Spring.

And i would feel the same way had we won the shootout.

Now lets get the olympics behind us!

Edited by beachwing, 01 January 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#635 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

The best thing about the playoffs for the Wings....there is no shootout.  And they can call up as many Black Aces as the want.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#636 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yes Dats was clearly invisible. Especially since he was the one who put the first chance for Cleary on a platter out front which Cleary flubbed. As well as being the only Wing who could consistently carry the puck into the Leafs zone while maintaining control and setting up the offense. Scored the only wings goal in the shootout. Yes I agree totally invisible. 

He certainly wasn't Bertuzzi-invisible, but we all know what a factor he usually is. And he wasn't this game. I don't blame him, it must be pretty hard to play his kind game on a snowy surface. 

Edited by derblaueClaus, 01 January 2014 - 05:29 PM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#637 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Both Toronto goals today were due to that last effort players are taking to score. We do not have players willing to do that and we lost. 

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#638 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just have to add my traditional post game Tootoo stroke and say that this was a perfect scenario for 22 to be up. He's a mudder and those conditions today would have let him shine.

#639 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

He certainly wasn't Bertuzzi-invisible, but we all know what a factor he usually is. And he wasn't this game, simple as that. And I don't blame him, it must be pretty hard to play his kind game on a snowy surface. 

Tuzzi is getting to a point where he can't take the grind of the 82 game schedule and he's often been invisible this year.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#640 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Both Toronto goals today were due to that last effort players are taking to score. We do not have players willing to do that and we lost. 

Both goals came off clean faceoff losses.  Our centers should be forced to stay on that rink till midnight taking faceoffs.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.