Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

1/1 Winter Classic 2014 GDT: Maple Leafs 3, Red Wings 2 (F/SO)

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#641 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

He certainly wasn't Bertuzzi-invisible, but we all know what a factor he usually is. And he wasn't this game. I don't blame him, it must be pretty hard to play his kind game on a snowy surface. 

I guess we just agree to disagree. The one thing we do agree on was Bert was horrendous. My wife made the comment that it looked like he was skating against the wing whichever way he was going. 

#642 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Anyone know what the worst shootout record for a season is?  Do we have it already?  If not, how close are we to it?

Edited by barabbas16, 01 January 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#643 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Both Toronto goals today were due to that last effort players are taking to score. We do not have players willing to do that and we lost. 

Bozak throwing his stick up and having a point shot hit it is extra effort, but Abby driving the net hard to tie the game isn't?

The Red Wings loss today had nothing to do with compete level. That was the best 60 minute performance they have put together in awhile.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#644 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

I guess we just agree to disagree. The one thing we do agree on was Bert was horrendous. My wife made the comment that it looked like he was skating against the wing whichever way he was going. 

Bertuzzi is too old.  That's another one of Holland and Babcock's faults, keeping him around too long.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#645 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Right?  And Eaves did not return so we played a forward short all game.  Advantage Leafs.

esteef

and I'm sure we won't hear one word about a possible fine and/or suspension, either- same thing when Gudas hit Franzen in the face, not a single thing done about it by the league

at this point they should allow us to dress an extra skater each game since we're dropping like flies every 5 minutes

#646 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

http://kuklaskorner....medium=facebook

Leafs did not deserve to be rewarded with the win today.  Hope the league suspends Lupul.

And I hope Eaves is not lost for the rest of the season with concussion symptoms.  Lupul knew he was vulnerable.  Crass behavior from a player who should be above that.

Boo.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#647 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Bozak throwing his stick up and having a point shot hit it is extra effort, but Abby driving the net hard to tie the game isn't?

The Red Wings loss today had nothing to do with compete level. That was the best 60 minute performance they have put together in awhile.

so we have Abby and then what? Bertuzzi? Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Cleary? All of them are giving their best but cannot be compared with half of Toronto roster. Well, evenf****** Raymond drives the net.. And in todays NHL more than 50% of goals are scored that way.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#648 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

http://kuklaskorner....medium=facebook

Leafs did not deserve to be rewarded with the win today. Hope the league suspends Lupul.

^ Yeah that's pretty viscous actually. I'm sure a suspension is coming.

Maybe they'll talk about it on the last episode of 24/7.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 01 January 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#649 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

And yeah after each and every loss we have someone to complain but not us. Jimmy sucked big time vs Nashville. He sucked today as well. But this clown will start next time anyway. Today it was Bernier who was a problem, Last game it was not-perfect-execution (in a game lost 4:6). Next game vs Dallas it will be thatf****** Russian junior Nichushkin who will suddently get his gamee going. Or Benn just dominating.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#650 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

And yeah after each and every loss we have someone to complain but not us. Jimmy sucked big time vs Nashville. He sucked today as well. But this clown will start next time anyway. Today it was Bernier who was a problem, Last game it was not-perfect-execution (in a game lost 4:6). Next game vs Dallas it will be thatf****** Russian junior Nichushkin who will suddently get his gamee going. Or Benn just dominating.

Yeah thats not true at all. The correct thing to say was he sucked in the shootout. The first 65 minutes he was strong. 

#651 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sucking in a askills competition is what it is, anyway Holland wanted answers so far he has gotten a lot of them so hopefuly the off-season marks a huge turnaround for this roster. It is needed.

The arena and crowd was absolutely spectacular and for mer personally the Winterclassic this year is done, it will be extremely hard to top this next year.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#652 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Am I the only one pleased with this game?  Yes, a win would have been optimal, but the only thing that would have made it better would have been being there.  The Wings played a great game, and so did the Leafs.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The crowd was great, it was good hockey going back to its roots.  Even the officiating for the most part was good.  Whether the whistles were swallowed or frozen, no matter.  They played.  The game rocked.  

The shootout must die, but I have yet to watch a single shootout.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#653 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Good game ... too bad we came up short on the shootout but compete level was there.  A great classic!

#654 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Are people really bashing Howard? He was Detroit's MVP for sure... made a bunch of good saves and didn't have much of a chance on either goal

#655 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Am I the only one pleased with this game?  Yes, a win would have been optimal, but the only thing that would have made it better would have been being there.  The Wings played a great game, and so did the Leafs.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The crowd was great, it was good hockey going back to its roots.  Even the officiating for the most part was good.  Whether the whistles were swallowed or frozen, no matter.  They played.  The game rocked.  

The shootout must die, but I have yet to watch a single shootout.

I'm not saying I'm not pleased with the game, I'm just saying overall Holland is getting more and more answers which is a good thing. The shootout is and always was a skills competition so it can go either way,

Conditions like this are just another statement on how good these guys are, I think I would have had a hard time seeing the puck.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#656 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

We lost but played good hockey. You can't make 3 big mistakes in a shootout and expect to stay in it.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#657 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Are people really bashing Howard? He was Detroit's MVP for sure... made a bunch of good saves and didn't have much of a chance on either goal

he pooped himself in the shootout. the winning goal was a flubbed shot and it still went in so pretty much anything directed at the goal was going to go in. i just have no sympathy for howard after that nashville game. gus has been the better goalie all year no reason why howard deserves to be in the net.

#658 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Well you can blame Holland his other GM cronies for the shoot out.  Happy with that decision now Holland?

#659 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

the overtime buzzer was a joke. everyone in the stadium was going insane. myself included.

#660 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

the overtime buzzer was a joke. everyone in the stadium was going insane. myself included.

I know that was the most asinine thing they've come up with so far.  Get a clue NHL.  Ran by a bunch off****** morons.