• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Datsyuk vs. Zetterberg

Rate this topic

Regular season - Datsyuk

Playoffs - Zetterberg

What I find interesting is that Zetterberg has a Thornton-Cheechoo ability to make his linemates better that Datsyuk doesn't. Whereas when you put better players with Dats, their points and goals go up, but average players don't. Basically to play with Dats I think you need to have the skills and hockey IQ to take advantage of what he does, whereas Z's success comes in large part from his hard work and strength on the puck and you can stick almost anyone with him and make a decent line.

Hull, Shanahan, Hossa, Zetterberg have all seen spikes in their goals when playing with Dats. Even Bertuzzi, I think plays so well with Dats because he still has the hands and the hockey IQ that Abdelkader doesn't. Its why I think Pav needs more Aldredsson on his line.

Zetterberg is not as flashy. But if you pay attention to what he does you really see how smart a player he is, plus he's an absolute beast on the puck. I have never seen a player hold onto and defend a puck like this guy. Overall I think he is far underrated compared go Datsyuk, but I do give Datsyuk the edge if you twist my arm.

I always give the nod to Zetterberg. I love Dats gets a bit cold come playoff time. He's obviously more skilled and he's also amazing. He's flashier, dazzles, stick handles usually in high gear. Probably less injury prone too. I don't think people that aren't Wings fan understand how awesome Zetts is though. He just makes things happen. He is very clutch, he takes mean hits, backchecks, he's a streaky scorer for a playmaker. I see Dats sometimes in the playoffs and he will try to make too many dekes and turn the puck over in big games and sometimes you don't even hear his name mentioned. It's a difficult choice but Zetts just seems to do a bit more and work harder when it counts. I think that's why he's the C.

Simple: All things considered, who's the better player. Knee jerk is obviously Datsyuk because of his skill level, but I've been thinking about it and conclude that Zetterberg is the better player. Skill alone doesn't make one better. Their points per game are nearly the same, very slight edge to Datsyuk. Both are extremely good defensively. Datsyuk has the hardware and the takeaways but in my opinion Zetterberg gets the tougher defensive matchups as evidenced by his shutting down Crosby in the finals in 08 and 09, and doing the same to Toews last season. Datsyuk is the better passer while Z is the better goal scorer, though neither are too shabby in either department. Both makes their linemates better. Z is (in my opinion) more versatile, able to play both center and the wing with equal aplomb. Dats hasn't ever shown much from the wing. Finally, intangibles. Zetterberg ALWAYS rises to the occasion, scoring key goals when it matters and is a playoff beast. Dats is by no means bad in the playoffs, but Z is a monster. Also, Z seems to have the ability to carry the team on his back for extended periods and generally relishes the role. Finally, Z's got the leadership capacity in spades. Dats leads by example, Z in every way possible.

So, your thoughts?

I'd actually say Z is the better passer. Dats makes some pretty passes but I think Z is technically better and does it more often. At a push I'd probably also say Dats has the better shot, and he's only recently starting to use it more. I don't know if that makes him the better scorer, but he certainly has the moves and (I'd say) a better shot.

All told I'd say Z edges it for that je ne sais quoi. Literally. I don't know what it is that makes me say that, just something tells me it's what I should say.

Neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg are more injury prone than the other. Literally one game separates them in the years since Zetterberg came into the league. And it's actually Datsyuk that has fewer games. So there might be a million reasons to say one is better than the other, but injury proneness isn't one of them.

Edited by kipwinger

I think Z can carry the team by himself better than datsyuk can.

Z has another level he can go to whether its playoff time or they have datsyuk or other top

i feel the team wins more when Z is playing and datsyuk is out. someone bring up that stat wins without datsyuk with Z playing and wins without zetterberg with datsyuk playing

Z can score hattricks.

I agree this year that Z seems to be able to carry the team more than Datsyuk, and is able to match the adversity better, but in the 2011 playoffs, Datsyuk reached a level that I haven't seen repeated by any player since then, particularly against the Sharks. He also scored the sickest backhand goal I have ever seen that series, which is just bonus points. I don't know if we're only talking this season in this topic, but even so, its still cool to look back at how dominant Pavs was that postseason.

Edited by Echolalia

Regular season - Datsyuk

Playoffs - Zetterberg

What I find interesting is that Zetterberg has a Thornton-Cheechoo ability to make his linemates better that Datsyuk doesn't. Whereas when you put better players with Dats, their points and goals go up, but average players don't. Basically to play with Dats I think you need to have the skills and hockey IQ to take advantage of what he does, whereas Z's success comes in large part from his hard work and strength on the puck and you can stick almost anyone with him and make a decent line.

Hull, Shanahan, Hossa, Zetterberg have all seen spikes in their goals when playing with Dats. Even Bertuzzi, I think plays so well with Dats because he still has the hands and the hockey IQ that Abdelkader doesn't. Its why I think Pav needs more Aldredsson on his line.

Agreed. Z can make Drew Miller look like a top 6 forward at times. I think Z adjusts his style more to fit his linemates. So if he is paired with grinders he cycles deep and grinds it out whereas when he plays with Dats he plays much more cerebral out there. He can switch it on and off every shift. Datsyuk pretty much plays the same no matter what is line mates are. At least this is what I see. Its open to interpretation.

To whoever said it takes a higher IQ to play with dats.

Beautifully put.

He puts the puck where you should be regardless of situation, which is why z and him are so spectacular.

Hank looks for you first.

But Jesus.

Pavels blind backhand passes, and goals are amazing.

Not even talking about his one on one ability.

Which is stupid.

If I had a Lidstrom, or an yzerman even, on my team already...

I'd take Pavel.

But z is a leader like PAv doesn't want to be/shouldn't need to be.

Let him be that amazing player he is without having to worry.

Cuz he's special without needing to be.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I love them both but heading into a tough playoff series there is no one I'd rather have on my team than Z, he carries the team on his back and elevates everyone he plays with. Dats can sometimes disappear a little in the toughest games but Z is always doing his job and always great.

Have to say that while I love both guys and think they are both indispensable, Z is the better leader. Datsyuk may have the better hands, speed, passing ability, but Z has that Captain material and just simply turns it up another notch when it counts. I'd say they're pretty equal defensively, and Z has the better shot (although I'll take pavel's backhander over anyone else in the league)!

Bottom line: They are both world class players and we couldn't do without them