• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Another 'Would You Make This Trade?' Thread

Rate this topic

Hi. So, a friend of mine just dropped an interesting trade scenario on me.

In this scenario, Ryan Miller is getting moved this season and the Sabres are getting a massive return for him. And, to help them fill the void in net (because we're charitable like that), we're giving them Jimmy Howard, plus an additional piece or two. In exchange, we get Ott, Moulson, and Ehrhoff, and maybe a useless gentleman's agreement that the first two will re-sign in the summer.

Is this insane, or does it actually make some sense? I can't decide.

That's a lot of salary to take on... and Ehrhoff is signed through 2021. Do we want another long-long-long-term contract here?

I did read somewhere (probably on Twitter) that Moulson seems to be happy in Buffalo. Is that enough for him to consider staying there?

I would figure Buffalo would want prospects and/or younger, established players in return, but they would also have to take on salary to stay above the floor. It would have to be a big trade in terms of the number of players involved...

Jimmy has a NMC through next season. It'd be an insult to ask him to waive it so soon after signing the new contract.

In NHL 14 though, I'd definitely like to have Miller and Ott on the team in exchange for Howard + prospects. No to Moulson and Ehrhoff though. They would both make our team even softer to play against.

Jimmy has a NMC through next season.

Seriously?

Is there a single player on this roster who doesn't have a no-movement/trade clause?

...something Holland has been unable to do since July. He'd have to get Buffalo to take on guys like Quincey and Samuelsson.

I like to think he hasn't really been trying.

Hi. So, a friend of mine just dropped an interesting trade scenario on me.

In this scenario, Ryan Miller is getting moved this season and the Sabres are getting a massive return for him. And, to help them fill the void in net (because we're charitable like that), we're giving them Jimmy Howard, plus an additional piece or two. In exchange, we get Ott, Moulson, and Ehrhoff, and maybe a useless gentleman's agreement that the first two will re-sign in the summer.

Is this insane, or does it actually make some sense? I can't decide.

You cringe watching Quincey play d? Enjoy the exploits of Ehrhoff..this guy doesn't know where his own end of the ice is.

I wouldn't touch that trade with a 10 foot pole. Let's start with the fact that the Wings are in the playoff hunt and trading Jimmy, no matter how how bad his recent play has been, is a recipe for disaster. He is still the best option in net for us, trading Jimmy would leave the team with no starting goalie. Gus has played well this year but can't stay healthy for two straight years since joining the Wings, plus half a year of good play doesn't make up for the fact that he has no track record to lean on and Mrazek is at least a year away from being NHL ready.

Getting to the players the Wings would get back in the proposed trade, there is also little upside. Ehrhoff has 7 years remaining on his contract at a cap hit of 4 mil and he is already 31. Moulson on the other hand is a good player but Buffalo gave up Vanek for him so he is not going anywhere. Ott is a decent player that just won't provide the boost that we need and he'll be a free agent in the offseason.

Another issue that comes into play is the cap, Holland and Co. have had enough trouble staying under the cap without adding more money. And I know in the proposed trade Jimmy's salary would come off the books but a lot more would come on. Just think back to how long it took Gus to crack Detroit's starting lineup with all the high priced veterans clogging up the roster. If by the trade deadline ,god forbid, this team does fall out of contention and Holland decides to unload some of his veterans he should be looking for young, cheap, and controllable players to fit under the cap, Holland should steer clear of overpriced veterans. Finally, even though trading Jimmy might bring back a decent haul it would be at the detriment to the teams ability to win, even taking into account his recent bad play.

Edited by wings87

Miller is an older version of Howard.

Erhoff has a terrible contract and isn't very good with D-zone coverage.

Ott is a good player, but I don't like him at all.

Moulson, hell yeah as long as he re-signs with us.

If the centrepiece of a trade were Miller and Moulson with Howard going the other way without Ott and Erhoff off the table, i'd offer:

Buffalo: Miller and Moulson

for

Detroit: Howard, Quincey, Pulkkinen, Andersson and a 2nd round pick.

Buffalo has a bunch of good young talent...really like Ristolainen. Will be interesting if the Islanders finish in the bottom 10 if they'll give their pick to Buffalo or they'll take away their chance at McDavid in 2015

Edited by PumpkinEscobar

Miller is an older version of Howard.

Erhoff has a terrible contract and isn't very good with D-zone coverage.

Ott is a good player, but I don't like him at all.

Moulson, hell yeah as long as he re-signs with us.

If the centrepiece of a trade were Miller and Moulson with Howard going the other way without Ott and Erhoff off the table, i'd offer:

Buffalo: Miller and Moulson

for

Detroit: Howard, Quincey, Pulkkinen, Andersson and a 2nd round pick.

If Miller is an older version of Howard why are we trading for him?

I wouldn't trade for Miller. He'd be an upgrade in net but I think he's unnecessary.

...and if you want Moulson, you just wait until trade deadline when Buffalo realizes he isn't going to re-sign there and you get him for a steal. ...or you wait for the off-season and sign him for nothing.

If Miller is an older version of Howard why are we trading for him?

I wouldn't trade for Miller. He'd be an upgrade in net but I think he's unnecessary.

...and if you want Moulson, you just wait until trade deadline when Buffalo realizes he isn't going to re-sign there and you get him for a steal. ...or you wait for the off-season and sign him for nothing.

That's exactly why I didn't offer a great package in exchange.

Edmonton is a conundrum, all that young talent still bottom dwellers...blockbuster: who do you trade today in a package deal for Taylor Hall?

Nothing. Taylor Hall has good offensive skills, but he's horrible defensively and is a real d-bag.

That's exactly why I didn't offer a great package in exchange.

Nothing. Taylor Hall has good offensive skills, but he's horrible defensively and is a real d-bag.

Okay, and? I hate to break it to you, but the team that has the most goals at the end of the game wins. This team's offense is anemic beyond anyone not wearing the numbers 13 or 40. The first game the Wings actually looked good in was last night against Dallas and that was because Z came in and went beast mode. Shut him and Dats down, or worse, the highly likely event one of them get injured and this time goes through the easiest part of their schedule and lose ground...