Photo
- - - - -

Did Dave Brandon prevent the NHL from holding the attendance record?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

http://www.freep.com...ic-extra-points

105,491 tickets were sold in a stadium with an official capacity of 109,901. The record is 104,173 set at the Big Chill.

It's a pretty safe bet to say that all the tickets were sold given how Leafs fans operate.

Considering how proud of an individual this guy is, I wouldn't put it past him to say that he wouldn't allow the NHL to take this record from him.

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Dave Brandon wasn't even mentioned in that article. Are you just speculating?

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Just want to put my $0.02 in - I attended both the Big Chill in 2010 and the Winter Classic yesterday. The Big Chill's record is a fake. There was NOBODY in the stadium after a certain point. Empty seats everywhere. From what I could see yesterday, there were much more people packing the stadium yesterday. I know that technically there may have been more people who "attended" the Big Chill, but in my humble opinion, there were definitely more people there yesterday.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#4 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Who's Dave Brandon?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#5 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Who's Dave Brandon?

U of M's Athletic Director.

#6 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

76843_492971004148743_1007680863_n.jpg

#7 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

I believe that game was the record, and you even note the attendances of both games which notes that this is the record.

So I guess im just confused what youre accusing him of. Are you saying they should have sold all 109k tickets? I dont think that place couldve handled 4k more people.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#8 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Oh, that Dave Brandon. Considering his resume, maybe he has a case of "pizza envy".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#9 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I believe that game was the record, and you even note the attendances of both games which notes that this is the record.

So I guess im just confused what youre accusing him of. Are you saying they should have sold all 109k tickets? I dont think that place couldve handled 4k more people.

Seriously, it was a madhouse. That place was not meant to handle that many people in that kind of weather. Especially when so many were drinking. Still, it was pretty awesome.

#10 Kmahrle83

Kmahrle83

Wings 4 Life!

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Seriously, it was a madhouse. That place was not meant to handle that many people in that kind of weather. Especially when so many were drinking. Still, it was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I got there late and went to my row and there was nowhere to sit so I asked a couple of guys where seat 19 and 20 were and they moved over a bit revealing that there were 2 cushions squeezed between them and My pregnant wife and I had to squeeze in.  She had to sit on my lap and even then, I was squished on both sides.

Lets go RED WINGS!!!

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, I got there late and went to my row and there was nowhere to sit so I asked a couple of guys where seat 19 and 20 were and they moved over a bit revealing that there were 2 cushions squeezed between them and My pregnant wife and I had to squeeze in.  She had to sit on my lap and even then, I was squished on both sides.

Yeah, things were really tight until people started leaving.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#12 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

How are you supposed to build comaraderie if you can't cuddle with a stranger in the cold at a hockey game?

:lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#13 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

To be fair, I'm not sure it's the best setting for a pregnant person. lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#14 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Looking up into the suites during the game some of them appeared to be empty. I don't know if it was because they were inside watching the game or the ticket holders were no shows. It was crazy packed in there the seat cushions helped greatly though. I went to the OSU UofM game and ended up sitting 3 seats down from my actually seats, because an old couple had the aisle seats and kept forcing the rest of the row down.