• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Kids came up after the injuries so I doubt the amount of practicing matters. Especially since our injured guys are the most likely to practice regardless of whether or not they were mandatory.

My bet is the training staff.

Best way to give veterans the habit of attending non mandatory practices is to instill that work ethic into them when they're kids!

#62 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

How did Marchenko look tonight? I missed most of the action but from what I saw he looked pretty steady out there. He was holding back offensively from what I saw (to be expected first game).

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#63 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

How did Marchenko look tonight? I missed most of the action but from what I saw he looked pretty steady out there. He was holding back offensively from what I saw (to be expected first game).

He started off pretty shaky but then got better you could tell it was his first game though.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#64 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

He was unnoticeable. In the good way.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#65 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

He definitely looked like it was his first game up, and in my opinion he was pretty pensive out there, but who wouldn't be in his situation.  Reminds me of so many players who got called up before they were ready and just trying to tread water.  He wasn't bad, but clearly isn't ready for the NHL.  As far as their first games go, I think Ouellet was better.  But I really love Marchenko's size and skating ability.  Let him round out for another year and then we'll see what he has to offer.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#66 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Not ready, but shows promise. Almqvist and Ouellet are definitely more ready.

#67 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

Everyone saying he didn't look ready.
He played with Quincey.
You'd be "pensive" too.
Good word BTW
IMO he looked good.
Not great.
But real active stick.
Not bad positionally, and good first pass.
And I love seeing a right hander on our blue line.
Shaky.
A bit.
But he definitely settled in.
He didn't look like it was his first NHL call up to me.
I'm excited for him.
And kind will be gone, eventually.
So will Quincey.
We have too many really good defenseman in the ahl to keep them.

And this probably belongs in the get.
But has anyone noticed how physical lash has been with people net front.
He's borderline dirty and I love it.
Not a top four in Detroit.
But nice to see.

#68 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

I saw him make some really nice outlet passes - one was really nice off the boards cross ice. He also did well retreating behind the net and making the dump pass to his partner on a few occasions I saw. If he can be a steady bottom pairing guy for the future I'll be happy - he has potential to be more but I would be good with 5/6 considering Sproul, Ouellet, Backman are also in the pipeline with Smith, Dekeyser being young ones too. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#69 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

just watched the 1st period asking myself the same questions that came up early in this topic: who is this guy and why did he get the call before Sproul or Almqvist.

he didn't look bad. for a defenseman 2 years away from NHL draft in his first ever game you can't ask for god knows what. but he was solid enough in his defensive game, used his brain and didn't cough the puck. 

but I do have to admit that I watched Canadian junior team anihiliate itself against Finland earlier this day. nothing that Wings or even Stars did this game was nearly that bad :)

#70 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

And this probably belongs in the get.
But has anyone noticed how physical lash has been with people net front.
He's borderline dirty and I love it.
Not a top four in Detroit.
But nice to see.

Lashoff has been a real pleasant surprise this season.  There's been almost zero bitching about him, which is quite frankly amazing.  OK he's playing the fewest minutes of all our regulars on D, but he may be carving a niche out for himself - at the very least he's a reliable placeholder till one of the kids plays him off the roster.

Out of intrest, did Smith get an PP time last night with DD out?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#71 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

hes a keeper in my book. any rookie who gets paired with Q on debut and returns  a +2 is doing something right! Also Q ended with +3, so there you go. Hes got a good stick a nice outlet pass and kept it simple. Had just over 13 mins, and im sure that will rise as the west coast trip goes on and Babs starts to trust him. I think he could rise to a #4 but would be more than useful on the bottom pairing on a regular basis.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#72 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

hes a keeper in my book. any rookie who gets paired with Q on debut and returns  a +2 is doing something right! Also Q ended with +3, so there you go. Hes got a good stick a nice outlet pass and kept it simple. Had just over 13 mins, and im sure that will rise as the west coast trip goes on and Babs starts to trust him. I think he could rise to a #4 but would be more than useful on the bottom pairing on a regular basis.

Entire Wings team allowed too many SOG, Howard won that game last night.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#73 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

it was about time Jimmy won one for them thou

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#74 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

He looked fine, made great outlet passes and from i what i could tell never gave the puck away. Had one bad penalty and didn't contribute offensively but its only his first nhl game on the blueline.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#75 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

The kid looked fine ... perhaps a little nervous at first. Makes a good first pass, good size,

#76 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Lashoff has been a real pleasant surprise this season.  There's been almost zero bitching about him, which is quite frankly amazing.  OK he's playing the fewest minutes of all our regulars on D, but he may be carving a niche out for himself - at the very least he's a reliable placeholder till one of the kids plays him off the roster.

Unfortunately, Smith still didn't get a shot. Kindl and Sammy were on the point for the second PP unit.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#77 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

That was an amazing game from jimmy.
But when you're paying a goalie that much, that's what I expect.
I know its not tuuka money, but still, thats the goalie we were buying.

#78 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Lashoff has quickly become one of my favorites on this team. He knows his role (big, nasty defensive defenseman), and he plays it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#79 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

He's a billion times better than Kindl and I think will bring more to the team than Lashoff too and he's a righty needed big time.

#80 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

I think Marchenko played a solid first game. Couldn't have asked for much more from him. I agree with what most ppl have said - he was noticeably nervous in the 1st period, but as the game went on, he settled in nicely and made some good outlet passes and didn't turn the puck over. It was good to see a young guy like that step in and not get too amped up and make mistakes all over the shop. It will be interesting to see what happens and if he plays vs the Sharks if DeKeyser is back. 

As for Lashoff, I have been pleasantly surprised with him thus far, making good defensive plays and providing a good amount of physical presence on the back end which has been lacking a bit I feel. still waiting for someone to get Kronwalled……..

Edited by wings4thecup06, 06 January 2014 - 06:53 PM.

temp 1