• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
locktalk

24/7 Episode 4 Discussion

Rate this topic

I knew he was a ****** bag before and it still confirms my feelings towards the Neanderthal name Phaneuf.

Phaneuf confirmed his status as major douchebag when he was talking s*** to Alfredsson. Alfie is a first ballot future hall of famer. There's a code of respect in the game for guys like Alfie - but obvously Phaneuf thinks he's above all that.

Another thing - I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever show any of the Swedes speaking Swedish. They finally did when they went to Alfie's house for Christmas (the only time during any of the four segments). Considering almost a third of the team speaks Swedish, presumably that's an integral part of the communication that takes place in the locker room and on the ice.

In fact -- I remember a few years back they interviewed Hank right after a big playoff overtime win. The guys on the ice (all five Swedes) gathered for a quick discussion just before they scored the winner. The guy interviewing Hank asked what they discussed during the meeting and followed that up by asking if they spoke in English or Swedish. Hank had to think about it for a second, and responded the discussion was all in Swedish.

2. The Coaches

I really think, the difference between Babcock and Carlyle has been made very clear. I have a hard time believing, that Randy C. really has the room and the full support of his team, Babcock on the other side has at least the room and is by far the more constructive coach. As a new player I would have a hard time, following Carlyles gameplay (...yeah compete harder but how ? yeah finish every check but HOW do we counter THEIR system ...? ).

.I thought that too. Carlyle's coaching reminded me of when Homer goes to work for Hank Scorpio. "Could you guys work a little harder?" Sure thing Mr Simpson!...................."Could you guys work a little harder?" We're already working flat out Mr Simpson!

Losing too many face-offs? Carlyles solution - cross-check your opponents on the wrist!

The other thing I noticed was Carlyle had a much better rapport with his players, back-and-forth. I cannot even begin to imagine the Wings players joking with Babcock like that! :lol: But there's clearly a completely different culture in the 2 locker rooms, Wings are much more proffessional and calm, a culture which we know goes back to Yzerman and Lidstrom.

I also noticed that I didn't hear a single foreign accent from the Leafs in the show, so I went and checked their roster and was shocked to find only 1 swede and 1 Russian. And then I thought about the Wings who were covered, it was all the NA guys like Howard, Smith, Cleary or the Swedes who speak perfect English like Alfie, Kronner and Z.

I was under the impression that when the NHL awards a team the Winter Classic, that the HBO thing is part of the deal and you somewhat agree to the constant filming and everyone is pretty much expected to participate. While of course you can't film everyone in every situation, I felt like the Wings put too much of a damper on the filming and the "unlimited access" wasn't that at all. I don't know if that's just that they have a lot of modest Europeans or the team itself put a lockdown on the filming and didn't want the Wings to appear to be anything but the model franchise. To whoever said the Leafs were portrayed differently, I agree. But that may be in part to the team itself. The Leafs seemed young, hip and cool, the Wings seemed old, boring and business like. The event itself met my expectations and even the Alumni games were far more enjoyable than I had anticipated. But if Wings fans were bored and disappointed in this, I can't imagine how other fans or potential hockey fans think.

Hip, and cool are not words id use in reference to the Toronto maple leads in this series.

Possibly Mentally challenged, and Hokey explain them more imo.

And aside from one, maybe two players, the stereotype of Canada being ten-twenty years late on world trends kind of rang true.

Phaneuf at one point was dressed like a 90s euro trash disco throwback dancer, sun glasses and all....

which would have been funny, if he wasn't the captain of an original 6 team.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Oh, yeah, I felt bad for Liles too. That just had to suck. I suppose that getting traded the day before and not getting to be there would be worse, but really, they knew that there was a big game. Couldn't they have had a gentlemen's agreement about the trade until after the game?

Hip, and cool are not words id use in reference to the Toronto maple leads in this series.

Possibly Mentally challenged, and Hokey explain them more imo.

And aside from one, maybe two players, the stereotype of Canada being ten-twenty years late on world trends kind of rang true.

Phaneuf at one point was dressed like a 90s euro trash disco throwback dancer, sun glasses and all....

which would have been funny, if he wasn't the captain of an original 6 team.

We live in Igloo's too. :no:

They're professional athletes, they're very competetive people. That's why they do dumb things like bet 1000s of dollars per hole when playing a round of golf, "just to make it interesting"

Guest Playmaker

Another thing - I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever show any of the Swedes speaking Swedish. They finally did when they went to Alfie's house for Christmas (the only time during any of the four segments). Considering almost a third of the team speaks Swedish, presumably that's an integral part of the communication that takes place in the locker room and on the ice.

In fact -- I remember a few years back they interviewed Hank right after a big playoff overtime win. The guys on the ice (all five Swedes) gathered for a quick discussion just before they scored the winner. The guy interviewing Hank asked what they discussed during the meeting and followed that up by asking if they spoke in English or Swedish. Hank had to think about it for a second, and responded the discussion was all in Swedish.

If I recall correctly, when the Wings had the Russians and Swedes, and various other nationalities, it was kind of an unwritten rule that English was to be spoken to promote more of a team atmosphere and not have the factions of Russians or Swedes or whatever. I could be wrong, but that's I'm remembering.

Guest Playmaker

I would say not really. They asked why not more Kessel and Datsyuk and she only talked about Kessel and how it took him a while to get comfortable with the cameras. She claims in the beginning the teams were a little camera shy, but after a while they weren't. She talked mostly about the Leafs and really not at all about the Wings. She did mention that Z wasn't the type of guy to be comfortable in front of the cameras but that they showed a side that we haven't really seen. As evidenced by the photos above, we've seen more of Hank than what HBO showed ;)

What I did like though was that they guy interviewing her said there's nothing he hates more than the scenes of the kids skating on the ice. She didn't really have a reply :)

I would say not really. They asked why not more Kessel and Datsyuk and she only talked about Kessel and how it took him a while to get comfortable with the cameras. She claims in the beginning the teams were a little camera shy, but after a while they weren't. She talked mostly about the Leafs and really not at all about the Wings. She did mention that Z wasn't the type of guy to be comfortable in front of the cameras but that they showed a side that we haven't really seen. As evidenced by the photos above, we've seen more of Hank than what HBO showed ;)

What I did like though was that they guy interviewing her said there's nothing he hates more than the scenes of the kids skating on the ice. She didn't really have a reply :)

Thanks. I was hoping for some grand insight from the producer but yet again HBO has left me disappointed and wanting more. *shakes fists*

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, same here. I thought she'd be like well, the teams didn't give us a whole lot to work with. The Wings were really limiting in their access or whatever. But it was pretty much, wow, they gave us so much access. She defended the first episode (apparently the host had ripped it) as saying it's more of a set up of the story lines, so it's usually not as compelling as the later ones. She raved about Dion Phaneuf (bleh) letting them in, but other than the brief Z reference (which I didn't think was really anything special,skating on a pond and a canned planned interview) she talked only of the Leafs. The host mentioned he thought Carlyle was really faking it with the toaster scene, that he probably would have went apes*** (paraphrasing) but because the cameras were there, he laughed it off ;) She disagreed and she thought it was very "natural" and one of the better scenes. I felt like the Wings at the sea food restaurant was the most forced and most obvious that cameras were around.

Seems like they covered the leafs players a bit more, got a lot more of them goofing around, playing ping pong, and so on. I was really looking forward to seeing pasha in this series, but i don't think he even said a word really, he must have a very good hiding spot. Apparently wings players are very dull and never goof around, the coaches stood out more then the players or games in most episodes, and the only wing they really covered was alfie. Overall 3/10, very poorly done, I expected much better from HBO, they screwed the pooch on this one. When I find myself bored and contemplating shutting off the tv, about 20 minutes into an hour long episode that involves the red wings, something is very wrong. 3rd episode was the best, other 3 episodes sucked. no alumni game coverage, no real hook, or draw in the show, I may as well have watched the kardashians

That was my thought too. They showed the Leafs messing around with each other, even if it was just Kessel and Bozak/Phaneuf. I feel like they never showed a sense of cohesion among the Wings like the Leafs had.

I thought it was humorous when Babs was writing the lines on the board cuz it looked like he was just putting people in randoms spots, which I'm sure it wasn't that but it's what it looked like.

Also when Z was skating on the pond I never saw a net and saw him take a slap shot. That scene seemed a little scripted to me.

Trash talking...Been around for ages...Why not get into the head of an opponent when ya get the chance?

Lets be honest here...It's not like Phaneuf is some scrub player from the AHL, who got a call up due to injuries...I'm certain Alfie got alot more from the likes of Darcy Tucker.

I'm not suggesting it hasn't been that way since forever ... we all know that. I'm saying there is a code for a select group of elite players. This is especially true in the later part of their careers. You don't take cheap shots at them and you don't talk trash during casual moments on the ice (heat of the moment is another matter, of course).

Case in point - how often did guys take cheap shots or talk trash to Lids toward the end of his career?

For some reason, I just thought of Slapshot, when the team Captain comes out on the runway in a robe, and flashes all the females in attendance.

:lol:

just listened to the producers interview, I have to say I would love to watch a 24/7 on the Draft. Follow 5 or 6 teams scouts and be a part of behind the doors discussions and be at the table on draft day would be SO interesting to someone like me who would love to hear the names of players Holland wanted or didn't want at the draft...

after watching 24/7 and listening to the raw candid discussions, I can imagine what the discussion was at last years draft table...

Babcock: What? Mantha is still f****** available? Are you f****** kidding me?

Holland: I can'tf****** believe it, I am going to f****** pick Mantha. Our f****** low ass pick and we score a kid like Anthony Mantha....un-*******-believable!

Edited by LeftWinger

Outside of Ian Laperriere running him into the boards (and injuring his knee) - I cannot think of anything specific from Lids last 3, or 4 seasons.

Didn't Patrick Sharp spear lids in the nuts after a play in the playoffs a few years back?

Edit: Yes he did, causing lids to have surgery on his man parts.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/06/red_wings_lidstrom_confirms_te.html

Good call guys...Forgot about those other incidents - although I think the spear by Sharp might have been accidental.

Sharp's spear was accidental. He called Lids later to apologize. Nick was a gentleman and told him not to worry about it. Things happen.