• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
locktalk

24/7 Episode 4 Discussion

Rate this topic

No, but I'm going to use this thread for discussion since there's no other thread up yet. Overall, I was very disappointed. It seems they covered the Leafs in an entirely different way than the Wings. Whether that was by choice or necessity, I don't know. No Pasha. Their coverage of the WC was dumbfounding to me. How do you film an event in a stadium the size of the Big House and not make the crowd a character? There were only a few close up crowd shots. No sweeping stadium shots, no pauses for the thunderous applause after goals were scored. I don't get it.

Guest Playmaker

I don't, but I'll use this as the discussion thread if you don't mind, and if there is a link, someone will post it. But it seems like they've cracked down on it being online.

In any case, episode 4 was mildly interesting, getting a little more into the Dad's trip. I kind of feel like Babs has used this as Cleary PR to show his toughness and his leadership. He has played better of late, but still would not break my heart to see him go.

In general, for me, the series was a bit of a disappointment. Just little bits and pieces and teases, but they'd never really explore any story line enough. Just not very in depth or anything different or things that we haven't seen before. I'm not offended at all by salty language, I'm quite adept at using the f word, but even I got sick of it this episode. Just too much.

I looked so forward to this for 2 years and it was pretty much a let down. What did I expect? I don't know, just more and better, I guess.

I don't, but I'll use this as the discussion thread if you don't mind, and if there is a link, someone will post it. But it seems like they've cracked down on it being online.

In any case, episode 4 was mildly interesting, getting a little more into the Dad's trip. I kind of feel like Babs has used this as Cleary PR to show his toughness and his leadership. He has played better of late, but still would not break my heart to see him go.

In general, for me, the series was a bit of a disappointment. Just little bits and pieces and teases, but they'd never really explore any story line enough. Just not very in depth or anything different or things that we haven't seen before. I'm not offended at all by salty language, I'm quite adept at using the f word, but even I got sick of it this episode. Just too much.

I looked so forward to this for 2 years and it was pretty much a let down. What did I expect? I don't know, just more and better, I guess.

I agree with this. I haven't watched Episode 4 yet, but the series was kind of a let down from what I was expecting. After the 3 months of filming you would figure everyone would have a part in the series but that's not the case. Way too many replays of the games we already knew the outcomes to, it's cool you got to see what happens on the ice but I wanted more in depth views.

I think the first couple were the best because they seemed to be alot more open, this one just didn't work out.

I want to know who writes the narration. Could that crap get any more trite? I'm surprised Schrieber got half that stuff out with a straight face.

"....now, tomorrow at the Big House could be more than just fun, but also the first day of the rest of their season."

I don't think there's any way anyone could capture the excitement of this for Wings and Leafs fans. There's just no explaining it.

Guest Playmaker

I was under the impression that when the NHL awards a team the Winter Classic, that the HBO thing is part of the deal and you somewhat agree to the constant filming and everyone is pretty much expected to participate. While of course you can't film everyone in every situation, I felt like the Wings put too much of a damper on the filming and the "unlimited access" wasn't that at all. I don't know if that's just that they have a lot of modest Europeans or the team itself put a lockdown on the filming and didn't want the Wings to appear to be anything but the model franchise. To whoever said the Leafs were portrayed differently, I agree. But that may be in part to the team itself. The Leafs seemed young, hip and cool, the Wings seemed old, boring and business like. The event itself met my expectations and even the Alumni games were far more enjoyable than I had anticipated. But if Wings fans were bored and disappointed in this, I can't imagine how other fans or potential hockey fans think.

I can't believe they didn't have any coverage of the alumni games. They showed Mario skating for like five minutes during the Pittsburgh Classic a few years ago, why not this year? I was highly anticipating seeing interviews with the Russian Five.

I was under the impression that when the NHL awards a team the Winter Classic, that the HBO thing is part of the deal and you somewhat agree to the constant filming and everyone is pretty much expected to participate. While of course you can't film everyone in every situation, I felt like the Wings put too much of a damper on the filming and the "unlimited access" wasn't that at all. I don't know if that's just that they have a lot of modest Europeans or the team itself put a lockdown on the filming and didn't want the Wings to appear to be anything but the model franchise. To whoever said the Leafs were portrayed differently, I agree. But that may be in part to the team itself. The Leafs seemed young, hip and cool, the Wings seemed old, boring and business like. The event itself met my expectations and even the Alumni games were far more enjoyable than I had anticipated. But if Wings fans were bored and disappointed in this, I can't imagine how other fans or potential hockey fans think.

I agree. Our team is a bunch of boring personalities. Should have brought back the Swedish bikini team and followed them instead.

We've seen and heard Datsyuk during interviews... He's very quick, funny and witty, but you notice he's obviously not that comfortable with the spotlight, so I guess he didn't want to be a big part of that series.

I also think Babcock's got something to do with this, and I agree with that strategy to protect your best players' state of mind. Bowman did the same thing during his playoff years, where you seldom heard from Shanny, Yzerman, Lidstrom etc. It was mostly Drapes, Homer and some other role players getting interviewed.

You have to agree having a full camera crew shoving their cameras into your face and into your house for extended periods can be unstabling (not that it's ever happened to me, but I can imagine they want to keep their routine and/or personal lives private)

Edited by hardcoretom21

You’re saying that the Leafs players are “cooler” and more “hip” than Wings players?

Yes. The Leafs came off differently because Phanuef, Lupul, and Kadri are all members of Radiohead. It had absolutely nothing to do with editing.

Kadri’s getting his car with Jai Paul’s super-slick “BTSTU” song playing in the background (even though Kadri probably hasn’t even heard of Jai Paul) vs Helm, Smith, Dekeyser, and Abby eating ribs and fish tacos?

Or how about Phanuef, selecting his suit and bow tie to epic synth M83-style music? How ******* funny is that? Knowing Dion is part cave-man.

That’s all HBO image-crafting and editing. It has way more to do with their idea of presentation than it does with The Leafs players being hip vs the Wings being boring.

Somebody said something funny in that last episode. Unfortunately, by the time the thing ended, my brain had atrophied and I forgot what it was.

Final assessment:

Wings fans are gonna think, "Too much Leaf stuff!" Leaf fans are gonna think, "Too much Wing stuff!"

Dan Cleary going back out after losing ten teeth confirms that hockey players are truly badass people.

I don't care what they do, dull or not, looking at Wings is fun and makes me happy.

Guest Playmaker

You’re saying that the Leafs players are “cooler” and more “hip” than Wings players?

Yes. The Leafs came off differently because Phanuef, Lupul, and Kadri are all members of Radiohead. It had absolutely nothing to do with editing.

Kadri’s getting his car with Jai Paul’s super-slick “BTSTU” song playing in the background (even though Kadri probably hasn’t even heard of Jai Paul) vs Helm, Smith, Dekeyser, and Abby eating ribs and fish tacos?

Or how about Phanuef, selecting his suit and bow tie to epic synth M83-style music? Howf****** funny is that? Knowing Dion is part cave-man.

That’s all HBO image-crafting and editing. It has way more to do with their idea of presentation than it does with The Leafs players being hip vs the Wings being boring.

I don't think it has as much to do with editing as it did to do with access and what they had to work with. Obviously Pav and Hank are interesting, well spoken intelligent guys. We just didn't get to see that side of them. Whether that is due to their unassuming personalities or the Wings worried that they might not be portrayed how they wanted them to be, I don't know. Before the series, we heard about what a character Tomas Tatar is and how he'd be stealing the show. But other than the lineup intro in the first episode, we did not see him at all. He certainly does not seem shy or afraid of the cameras. So one would have to think the Wings orchestrated who would get "face time" and who wouldn't. I just don't think it's coincidence we saw the most of Cleary, Smith, DeKeyser and Alfredsson.

Seems like they covered the leafs players a bit more, got a lot more of them goofing around, playing ping pong, and so on. I was really looking forward to seeing pasha in this series, but i don't think he even said a word really, he must have a very good hiding spot. Apparently wings players are very dull and never goof around, the coaches stood out more then the players or games in most episodes, and the only wing they really covered was alfie. Overall 3/10, very poorly done, I expected much better from HBO, they screwed the pooch on this one. When I find myself bored and contemplating shutting off the tv, about 20 minutes into an hour long episode that involves the red wings, something is very wrong. 3rd episode was the best, other 3 episodes sucked. no alumni game coverage, no real hook, or draw in the show, I may as well have watched the kardashians

My summary:

1. The Players

I really don't know what kind of goofy and play for the camera stuff people are expecting? Keep in mind despite being outstanding atlethes, extremely rich these guys are human beings too, enjoying the same things we "normal" people are doing. I thought it was pretty cool seeing a guy making 64 million in the future, talking about playing Xbox, watching TV hanging out...sure it's a damn nice apartment. Yes, the show did focus too much on Lupul, the guy just seems to love the spotlight but whatever.

For all the crap Kessel is getting, because he is introverted he did extremely well. I know full well, I wouldn't have done half as good a job having the cameras in my house or infront of me. The second ping-pong game seemed a bit forced, having a hard time to believe Phaneuf would take it that seriously. The best DetroitRedWings part obviously was Danny K going out and giving autographs, taking pictures with fans and obviously seeing Alfie and his family on Christmas. The lag of Pasha is simple, he was injured and his English although extremely improved isn't the best plus he is a shy guy.

My only complaints are they did just focus a bit too much, on showing their homes and cars, who cares about Lupul going shopping or seeing Phaneufs dressing shoe room ?

2. The Coaches

I really think, the difference between Babcock and Carlyle has been made very clear. I have a hard time believing, that Randy C. really has the room and the full support of his team, Babcock on the other side has at least the room and is by far the more constructive coach. As a new player I would have a hard time, following Carlyles gameplay (...yeah compete harder but how ? yeah finish every check but HOW do we counter THEIR system ...? ).

3. Winter Classic ...

Thats my biggest disappointment with the last episode. HBO has Z coming back and obviously they are featuring him, but two Original 6 franchises and not even one interview with former alltime greats "alumnis" ? I know the show is just 60 minutes long, but seriously cut the games before it and focus on the big event between the two clubs. Also having a crowd of 105.000 under classic hockey conditions and not even featuring them, is another disappointment. I really hoped to see interviews with the perfect human, Cujo, Domi, Koecur...EP 4 could have been so much better it's a shame. To best honest, I've felt a bit bad for Liles having to say goodbye to this teammates during the Winterclassic...seriously couldn't they have waited a few more minutes and let him enjoy the day ? Show some class here.

Overall I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it's nice to see that these outstanding stars aren't all that different in their everyday routines from us.

Just for comparison, I'm glad not one player embarrassed himself like Bryzgalov or Boudreaux.

Edited by frankgrimes