Nyquist-Z-Abby

Jurco-Sheahan-Bert

Miller-Andy-Sammy

Eaves-Glenden-Cleary

Kronner-Smith

Dekeyser-Quincey

Lashoff-Kindl

This is such a disappointing season so far :(

Our big FA signing of Stephen Weiss is the biggest bust of the NHL season so far.

We lost the Winter Classic against a Toronto team that in their next 3 games got outscored something like 18-3.

We finally get our kids up (Tatar/Nyquist/Jurco/Sheahan), at the expense of most of our core players getting, and staying hurt.

Monster has a career year, gets hurt. Jimmy turns his game around, we lose Pav n Alfie.

Our D core is as fragile as it is undisciplined.

At this point, the way things are going, our 23rd consecutive playoff run is getting harder and harder to grasp. Let alone actually going anywhere in the playoffs IF we even make it.

Miller and Eaves? Seriously? Miller has been arguably our best PK guy this season, blocking shots all over the show, and Eaves has played really solid IMO, shooting from everywhere and throwing his weight around,

Agree about the other though.

I don't mean so much they're not playing well rather they're just boring to watch, neither is physical or will stand up for themselves or the team, I think miller certainly brings more value but either can be replaced imo

Injuries, injuries, injuries. That has been the story of the first half. If the Wings were at 100% with their roster they'd be up there with Boston and Pittsburgh. Injuries are not an excuse but they certainly are a factor. Players cannot create chemistry with one another if the lines are constantly being changed around. And as a fan it sucks because you cannot watch your team play to their full potential.

Wings will be in second place in the division by the time March 31 rolls around. Book it

Not that i dont love the optimism, nor would i be upset if we made such a turnaround...but i gotta ask? Whatre u smoking that makes u think we'll pull that off? And where can i buy some?

To make up a 10+ point gap on a very good Boston Bruins team isnt impossible obviously, but i dont think our injury woes are gonna magically disappear. Nor do i think were done falling in the standings before we start climbing again. We'll be lucky to win 3 of our remaining 8 games this month. Then next months olympics just means more wear n tear on our best players.

Not trying to sound rude or condesending at all btw, i just truly dont believe this seasons gonna somehow turn around a full 180 degrees and skyrocket us to the top of the standings from the way things currently are.

I don't mean so much they're not playing well rather they're just boring to watch, neither is physical or will stand up for themselves or the team, I think miller certainly brings more value but either can be replaced imo

Miller stands up for himself and his teammates.

He's not very good at it, and he got beat down. So he probably thought it through, smartly.

He's been more physical this season then I ever remember though

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Not that i dont love the optimism, nor would i be upset if we made such a turnaround...but i gotta ask? Whatre u smoking that makes u think we'll pull that off? And where can i buy some?

To make up a 10+ point gap on a very good Boston Bruins team isnt impossible obviously, but i dont think our injury woes are gonna magically disappear. Nor do i think were done falling in the standings before we start climbing again. We'll be lucky to win 3 of our remaining 8 games this month. Then next months olympics just means more wear n tear on our best players.

Not trying to sound rude or condesending at all btw, i just truly dont believe this seasons gonna somehow turn around a full 180 degrees and skyrocket us to the top of the standings from the way things currently are.

Wings are slowly but surely improving their roster. I still believe in this team and coach Babcock. Lets face it with shootout losses this year they've lost 10 big points which would put them at the top of the division right now. They are going to improve especially in the month of March. Win those games and they'e right back in the division. I don't see them adding any major piece at the deadline either. I'm saying a second place finish for this team and a first round match up with Tampa

The injuries should have been expected, and in some ways I think Holland was preparing for those. That is the only way the resigning Cleary and others makes any sense. he wanted depth because he expected injuries. if that wasn't his thinking then he has lost his mind.

But many of us talked about injuries going up with our move to the more rugged east. yes there are a few tough physical teams out west, but most are not. The opposite is true in the east. Physical play is something that is learned. You learn how to take hits and give hits. We have seen guys this year-Dekeyser, get hurt because he hasn't learned how to protect himself. Howard gets hurt because other team know they can run our G and maybe a penalty gets called, but they take the risk to take out a starting G. This is part of the game. maybe it shouldn't be, but we have to live in reality. Hockey is a tough physical sport, which is what makes it so great. This isn't the KHL where big checks can draw a penalty, and it better never come to that!

We are also caught in transition from a player perspective. A ton of old vets have moved on, and more will do so this year. TBH it is about time. We are all sick of watching guys like bert, Cleary, franzen, Sammy, etc..... get hurt, fail to perform, and in general steal money. We all love watching the energy that guys like Nyquist, tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, and Andersson are bringing. if helm ever gets healthy again and Abby stays healthy, that is a nice group of talented young guys with speed, skill, and some size to watch play.

But, and this is a big one, it is really tough to watch in the meantime. yes we all will, but our livers are not going to like it.

Guest Playmaker

Fully agreed no GM is perfect so mistakes are part of the job. That doesn't mean, you can be passive all the time. I'd rather see him overpaying for top notch players instead of guys like Quinces or some some softish third line players. The golden era where players took a paycut in order to come to this former powerhouse are gone and for them to come back in the post Z Pasha era, hockeytown needs to be big Ufa player again. Otherwise seasons like this could be looked back as good ones and we'll be competing with teams like Edmonton, Calgary...

Who are all these big stars that took pay cuts to come to Detroit? There was Hossa who took a one year deal and when he didn't get the Cup in that one year (in part to how he performed in the playoffs), he flew the coop and was no longer interested in a "pay cut". Building through UFA's is going to be difficult in upcoming years with the "home team" having the advantage in the new CBA of offering an extra year to stay with the club. There just aren't that many big name free agents out there anymore to even overpay. If you look at this years list, its slim pickins'. The salary cap makes big trades difficult. The Wings best best is building through the draft and hoping that Hakan Andersson can pull a few more rabbits out of a hat.

Edited by Playmaker

Just a thought, if the playoffs started today the Wings would be 1 point out with 2 games in hand. In other words they would probably just barely make it in. Considering all the juggling and injuries and Howie's play, I'm ok with that. I think they will be ok.

So does anyone think if we miss the playoffs a rebuild is coming? Or just keep applying roster band aids until hank n pav retire?

Hmm I don't think with Holland at the helm it would be a proper 're-build'. It would more likely be adding the young guys and smoothly transitioning out a few veterans around the current 'core'. Which I'd be more than happy with tbh

So does anyone think if we miss the playoffs a rebuild is coming? Or just keep applying roster band aids until hank n pav retire?

If we miss the playoffs, it'll probably be by a few points. I don't think that would be nearly enough to warrant a true rebuild. The smart thing is, I think, what they're already doing: "rebuilding on the fly." Start to bring some kids - the future leaders - along while the core is still intact and competitive. Then, when Z and D and K are gone, you hope you've got a good group of experienced younger players who, with some UFA reinforcements and maybe a smart trade or two, could make life without the old guard manageable.

If we miss the playoffs, it'll probably be by a few points. I don't think that would be nearly enough to warrant a true rebuild. The smart thing is, I think, what they're already doing: "rebuilding on the fly." Start to bring some kids - the future leaders - along while the core is still intact and competitive. Then, when Z and D and K are gone, you hope you've got a good group of experienced younger players who, with some UFA reinforcements and maybe a smart trade or two, could make life without the old guard manageable.

Exactly how I feel. Sure we would all like to see the Wings at the top of the standings, but the fact is they have been playing with an injury plagued team with a so so goalie. They're getting healthier and better. I hope we see more Jurco, Tartar, Nyquist, Oulett, and Almqvisut this second half because they are the future. Guys like Bertuzzi, Samuelson, Cleary, and others are just occupying a roster spot until they're ready. Wings will make the playoffs, heck I think they'll even have home ice for the first round. Relax LGW