• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Up and down to be honest. Going into the season I was incredibly optimistic after the end of last year. And then we re-signed cleary……….(just for the record, I have nothing against Danny, but I firmly believed it was time for the wings to part ways with him)

That said, I think we've done exceedingly well considering the injuries we've had (as of Jan 5th, 166 man games lost, 7th in the league - source mangameslost.com!!!!).

I'm hoping that we'll have a big surge once we can get DeKeyser, Helm, Datsyuk and Franzen back, establish some consistency with our lines and move forward productively. Extremely excited about the form Helm has shown when he came back, some unexpected offence too which is badly needed. 

I do think that they should possibly bury Samuelsson and bring up Jurco full time, the kid just needs to play. And I truly believe there's a spot for Sheahan on this team also. A couple of big, young bodies will definitely go along way. 

Glad to see that Nyqvist and especially Tatar are playing well, but they both just need to become a little more consistent and bring it every night. 

Tootoo needs to be up here permanently IMO, just so we can have a greater bang and crash presence on our 4th line. 

Only real negatives I can find are the lack of consistency, Cleary been given a constant lineup spot, injuries obviously, non stellar play from Jimmy (although he looks like he's turned a corner now). Otherwise, the east definitely is no where near as strong as the west. I could envision that if we can get on a roll in the second half and start churning out wins, I don't think there's anyone else in the East besides Boston and Pittsburgh that could give us a problem come playoff time. That is of course, if this team starts to play like we expect it to.

temp 1

#22 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I expect their play to improve in the second half. I don't know why, but I do. Assuming, of course, they can get healthy to the point where maybe only one top player is injured at a given time.

I imagine they can turn in another great finish to the season once the Olympics are over.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#23 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'm worried about these injuries. Are we a playoff team when healthy? I think so. Can we stay healthy? I don't think so. There's always someone hurt. We were finally on a roll 2 months ago and then we lost practically everyone. Never icing our best players. The way this team is built, we need everyone healthy. The good thing is I see a nice core of rookies filling in and doing pretty well. Our backup goalie has been a big surprise keeping us in the playoff hunt. Our starting goalie has to rise up second half. We all knew the defense was gonna take a hit when our hall of famers retired. A hot goalie can win a Cup with a hungry team. I'm not convinced Jimmy can win us a Cup but I'd love him to prove me wrong. Guys like Helm are such spark it's a big shame he can't stay healthy. Weiss, Quincey and Cleary are awful. Kindl gets an honorable mention for suckiness also.  All well. Maybe a trade is in the making. Team is doing worse than I expected but we've been spoiled for over 2 decades. Season isn't over yet. Let's see what happens. Go Wings!

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

My thoughts are that this string of injuries has been ridiculous. And it couldn't have happened to the team's less important players, nay. The injuries have, instead, come almost entirely amongst the team's best scorers, top defensemen, and generally vital players.

#25 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

My thoughts are that this string of injuries has been ridiculous. And it couldn't have happened to the team's less important players, nay. The injuries have, instead, come almost entirely amongst the team's best scorers, top defensemen, and generally vital players.

Agreed. How is it that Q, Sammy, and Cleary escape injuries?? I guess Sammy doesn't play much but Cleary and Q go every night and are never out with injuries this season. The only way babs will see how terribad they are is for them to be out of the lineup with injury and a young kid steps in and elevates play. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#26 AndrewK80

AndrewK80

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't see us going far in the playoffs, but I sure would like to at least MAKE the playoffs to keep the streak going.

We don't want it to look like we can't handle the East after dominating the West for so long.

If the playoffs started today, we'd have a Wild Card slot. 

#27 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Not having Helm, Ericsson, DeKeyser and Franzen are big losses to this team, no matter what your opinion of Franzen might be.

Three injuries to DD in basically less than a season's worth of hockey. Anyone worried he may have durability issues? Or will he pull a Matthew Stafford and overcome early injuries to play injury free for years to come?

#28 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

Three injuries to DD in basically less than a season's worth of hockey. Anyone worried he may have durability issues? Or will he pull a Matthew Stafford and overcome early injuries to play injury free for years to come?

I'm concerned.
But he's so young, once he packs on the weight that goes with his hockey sense I'm praying hell be fine.
All the talent in the world, just can't stay on the ice.

#29 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Starting to wonder if firing Babcock is the only option left? I mean, we have seen the young guys come up through the MASSIVE amount of injuries. They haven't produced anything different than the regulars really, and Holland doesn't look like he is trading anyone away...

Is this all that can be done?

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'm worried our team sucks at training and preparing themselves physically, hence the constant injuries they deal with every season.  

Maybe their Gatorade is spiked with something that makes the bones weaker.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm worried our team sucks at training and preparing themselves physically, hence the constant injuries they deal with every season.  

Maybe their Gatorade is spiked with something that makes the bones weaker.  

Osteoporosis?  Is someone spiking their Gatorade with osteoporosis?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#32 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

no excuses this team needs to get better when all the injuries do surcease than what?  I hate to say it but when we did have almost everyone we still didn't dominate its our chemistery or lack of

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#33 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

We are mediocre and we'll be lucky if we make it to 7th or 8th spot ... last year redux.  

#34 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

We are mediocre and we'll be lucky if we make it to 7th or 8th spot ... last year redux.

Agreed. Too many let fandom get in the way. Too many think half this team is in their prime years and not well past them.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Didn't expect anything differently, so I'm not surprised although I hope Holland is using this season (no matter the outcome) as an opportunity to modify this ship in the off-season. Start with the bottom 6 a create a fourth line that is going to cause havoc, add some young guys and let 80 % of the vets walk an DON'T sign new ones unless they are top guys (top 6 scorer or top 4 d).

Sadly, from what I've read this is not a deep draft and the drop off might start after Reinhart and Ekblad if true, I don't think they'll find a gem like Mantha again.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#36 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Starting to wonder if firing Babcock is the only option left? I mean, we have seen the young guys come up through the MASSIVE amount of injuries. They haven't produced anything different than the regulars really, and Holland doesn't look like he is trading anyone away...

Is this all that can be done?

That is nuts. We aren't the Leafs. Every team has rough patches, and ours has been the last 2 seasons. Hell, the fact that we overachieved at the end of last season has probably raised everyone's expectations to the fact that we could probably go on to achieve bigger and better things. Babcock is arguably the best coach in the NHL currently, and it was evident from what they showed inside the locker room of the Wings on 24/7 that he still has the attention and ears of the players. Unlike said Leafs, who seem to take Carlyle's F bombs and constant barrage and throw it out the door. 

The answer here is patience. It is easy to sit here and say let's fire the coach. But realistically, what does that actually achieve? Right now this team hasn't established any kind of consistency because of injuries and a few front office errors. I don't see how canning the coach will help achieve that. But, I truly believe that we have a good future ahead of us and some exciting prospects should make it a hell of a lot of fun around here soon (see Nyqvist, Tatar, Mrazek, DeKeyser, Jurco, Mantha etc etc). We still have a couple of the best players in the world (arguably) and every team goes through ups and downs.

Yes it would be devastating for the Wings to not be playing in May, but is it the end of the world if they don't? I love this team as much as anyone, but if missing the playoffs is the lesson the KH and MB need to realise that they should drop the past it veterans on the Wings and go with the youth, then that's fine. (I'm hoping of course, that they won't need this to happen before they figure that out). We've had an incredible and unprecedented amount of success following this club. So please, don't let a little rough patch persuade everyone that we need to clean out the closet.  

Edited by wings4thecup06, 11 January 2014 - 09:12 AM.

temp 1

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

That is nuts. We aren't the Leafs. Every team has rough patches, and ours has been the last 2 seasons. Hell, the fact that we overachieved at the end of last season has probably raised everyone's expectations to the fact that we could probably go on to achieve bigger and better things. Babcock is arguably the best coach in the NHL currently, and it was evident from what they showed inside the locker room of the Wings on 24/7 that he still has the attention and ears of the players. Unlike said Leafs, who seem to take Carlyle's F bombs and constant barrage and throw it out the door. 

The answer here is patience. It is easy to sit here and say let's fire the coach. But realistically, what does that actually achieve? Right now this team hasn't established any kind of consistency because of injuries and a few front office errors. I don't see how canning the coach will help achieve that. But, I truly believe that we have a good future ahead of us and some exciting prospects should make it a hell of a lot of fun around here soon (see Nyqvist, Tatar, Mrazek, DeKeyser, Jurco, Mantha etc etc). We still have a couple of the best players in the world (arguably) and every team goes through ups and downs.

Yes it would be devastating for the Wings to not be playing in May, but is it the end of the world if they don't? I love this team as much as anyone, but if missing the playoffs is the lesson the KH and MB need to realise that they should drop the past it veterans on the Wings and go with the youth, then that's fine. (I'm hoping of course, that they won't need this to happen before they figure that out). We've had an incredible and unprecedented amount of success following this club. So please, don't let a little rough patch persuade everyone that we need to clean out the closet.  

Good post!

Really, a successful season for me....we make the playoffs and not break our streak and the Hawks DO NOT win the Cup.

#38 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Good post!

Really, a successful season for me....we make the playoffs and not break our streak and the Hawks DO NOT win the Cup.

That's sad, because after last season ended, nobody would have said the result you just wrote is a successful 2014 season.  

We should do Alfredsson a favor and trade him to a real contender.  He can still contribute for a year or two to a good team with top linemates.  Maybe we can get something in return for the future.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#39 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

2 years is not "a little rough patch".  That's a long time.  Yes, there has been a lot to overcome--the loss of 3 top defensemen in 2 years, a ton of injuries, some bad contracts, etc.  This is a team in transition, a transition that is going to take a couple more years.

Plenty of good or great coaches get fired.  If Babcock is to be fired, it will not be because he is a bad coach.  It would be because the time for change will have come.

#40 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

2 years is not "a little rough patch".  That's a long time.  Yes, there has been a lot to overcome--the loss of 3 top defensemen in 2 years, a ton of injuries, some bad contracts, etc.  This is a team in transition, a transition that is going to take a couple more years.

Plenty of good or great coaches get fired.  If Babcock is to be fired, it will not be because he is a bad coach.  It would be because the time for change will have come.

While that may be true, I believe it most certainly isn't the time for change. Most teams would crumble at those losses you have pointed out. I don't see the Wings crumbling anytime soon. 

temp 1