Photo
- - - - -

If we become sellers...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

I love how everyone comes in here and berates the OP by saying things like, it'll never happen, get real, he has a NMC, and everything else they can sling at him to attempt to belittle or make fun of him. All while the thread is IF we become sellers, hypothetically if the Wings miss the playoffs, what kind of return would you expect for Alfie. If you don't feel like playing along, then don't leave your negative comment, just don't comment at all...thanks.

oh, and the NMC...Alfie signed here to win a Cup, if the Wings miss the playoffs and a favorite came calling for Alfie's availability, don't think for a minute that he wouldn't waive his clause to get that chance at a Cup. He'd be gone before you could spell Howe...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#22 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

For me, there's nothing sexy about missing the playoffs and getting a 2nd round pick from Boston for Alfie. That's essentially 50th overall or something.

I'd hope that if Quincey was worth a first even in Holland's demented state, and Gaustad is worth a first, that we could squeeze a first round pick out of some GM if we could work up a bidding war frenzy.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#23 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Should that happen, I would expect the return to be similar to what was acquired for Jagr or Iginla.  Nothing too exciting like a 1st-round pick or a top young player/prospect.

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

For me, there's nothing sexy about missing the playoffs and getting a 2nd round pick from Boston for Alfie. That's essentially 50th overall or something.

I'd hope that if Quincey was worth a first even in Holland's demented state, and Gaustad is worth a first, that we could squeeze a first round pick out of some GM if we could work up a bidding war frenzy.

It's better than getting nothing and also part of doing the classy thing by providing someone who is on his last legs with an opportunity to win his first Stanley Cup.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#25 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

It's better than getting nothing and also part of doing the classy thing by providing someone who is on his last legs with an opportunity to win his first Stanley Cup.

I completely agree with this. The Wings are never sellers, but if it came to that, I’d like it to be exciting, from the fan/fantasy angel. But yes, beggars can’t be chosers and you have to do what’s best for Alfie if, god help us, that scenario happens. 

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

I completely agree with this. The Wings are never sellers, but if it came to that, I’d like it to be exciting, from the fan/fantasy angel. But yes, beggars can’t be chosers and you have to do what’s best for Alfie if, god help us, that scenario happens. 

I fully agree, but at some point it will happen and personally I wouldn't be too pissed about a rebuild, starting next year (...*cough* McDavid draft :-)

kftx.jpg

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I fully agree, but at some point it will happen and personally I wouldn't be too pissed about a rebuild, starting next year (...*cough* McDavid draft :-)

That’s a fantasy as well, I think. I don’t see The Wings sucking that much.

#28 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I love how everyone comes in here and berates the OP by saying things like, it'll never happen, get real, he has a NMC, and everything else they can sling at him to attempt to belittle or make fun of him. All while the thread is IF we become sellers, hypothetically if the Wings miss the playoffs, what kind of return would you expect for Alfie. If you don't feel like playing along, then don't leave your negative comment, just don't comment at all...thanks.

... and for God's sake, don't suggest that a return of a first and Hamilton or Krug for Alfie may be reaching a tad high. Hugs all around.

#29 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

Only players I would see going out would be players they don't plan on bringing back

#30 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

If the Wings missed playoffs, I could only see them trading Alfie if he was sure he'd retire after the season. And only if he asked.

And for the people who want to tank and rebuild: why? Is getting one player worth delaying a Cup for multiple years? With a core of Dassyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Howard we need only to find the right pieces to be contenders again. Especially if the kids really do pan out the way we hope thongs will be fine. We as fans just lose patience because the CBA has all but killed trading and so we can only get pieces through annual free agencies.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#31 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Even if we became sellers, I don't think the Wings would part with Alfie. He's been tremendous this season, clearly has some good chemistry with the swedes on our team, and is a right hand shot after all! 

Plus, he's gone through the whole process of up-rooting his entire family from Ottawa to Michigan. With the level of respect that KH etc have for their players, I don't think they'd even contemplate moving Alfie. 

In spite of that, I'm hoping we re-sign him for one more year, because it looks like he's still got the drive and is having a lot of fun out there too. Plus at age 41, he's still a top 6 forward, which is incredible.

That said, I would not be opposed to a re-build of sorts. Even if that re-build would be dropping a few veterans and bumping up some of the young guys from GR and giving them full time roles. Would be interesting test for babcock also. I think missing the playoffs would hurt, but I'd rather secure the long term future of this franchise by missing the playoffs once than trying but failing now and suffering down the line. 

NB. I still think this team has a reasonable shot, if everyone gets healthy, and babcock actually plays the right guys with the right amount of ice time. 

Edited by wings4thecup06, 07 January 2014 - 08:41 AM.

temp 1

#32 Firefighter4WingedWheel

Firefighter4WingedWheel

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think alfie stays put due to the relocation as stated before, but I do see some other potential roster shifts.  But why are you putting the bad juju on us?  Howard learned how to play goalie again so that is great for us.  Don't sell us short quite yet.

12058313233_9807d41377_o.jpg

#33 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

oh, and the NMC...Alfie signed here to win a Cup, if the Wings miss the playoffs and a favorite came calling for Alfie's availability, don't think for a minute that he wouldn't waive his clause to get that chance at a Cup. He'd be gone before you could spell Howe...

If his sole reason for leaving Ottawa was to win a Cup, he wouldn't have signed with the Red Wings. The Wings were clearly not Cup favorites, though their chances may be slightly better than the Sens. But the Wings aren't even in the top 5. There was obviously more involved and if it was only about winning a Cup, he'd have signed with another team, if there were any other teams interested.

#34 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

If his sole reason for leaving Ottawa was to win a Cup, he wouldn't have signed with the Red Wings. The Wings were clearly not Cup favorites, though their chances may be slightly better than the Sens. But the Wings aren't even in the top 5. There was obviously more involved and if it was only about winning a Cup, he'd have signed with another team, if there were any other teams interested.

Didn't the reports this summer suggest he was also being wooed by Boston at the same time the Wings were courting him? If his first priority was to win a cup, you don't think he would have gone there? The Wings Swedish contingent has to have been a huge factor….

temp 1

#35 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

If the Wings missed playoffs, I could only see them trading Alfie if he was sure he'd retire after the season. And only if he asked.

And for the people who want to tank and rebuild: why? Is getting one player worth delaying a Cup for multiple years? With a core of Dassyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Howard we need only to find the right pieces to be contenders again. Especially if the kids really do pan out the way we hope thongs will be fine. We as fans just lose patience because the CBA has all but killed trading and so we can only get pieces through annual free agencies.

Thongs for sure are fine i like when women where boy shorts as well but i hope that we arent talking about on our players ;)

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#36 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I would like to change the thread to "If we become buyers" ;) I believe when we make the playoffs, that's exactly what we will be doing to help alfie get that cup! 

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

If the prize at the end is Connor McDavid for sure. The core is getting older and there is not one surefire prospect with superstar potential in the pipeline. So sucking one year to get one isn't a big deal to me.

kftx.jpg

#38 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

thongs will be five

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

I think we found our future sniper in Mantha, so I think sucking for a year is worth getting McDavid.  Besides, we'd have to do a whole lot of sucking to make it to the lottery and even then, we'd have to be lucky enough to get our card drawn...it looks as though Edmonton is well on their way to getting a great chance at yet another 1st overall...do you think they would trade it? They have to be tired of drafting this high and still stinking...

I brought up in  a thread about possibly acquiring Taylor Hall from them, but what about Yakupov? He has seemed to not worked out in Edmonton either (of course a lot of those kids aren't) do you think he would be good enough to flank Datsyuk for the next three years?

If we became buyers, I would love to make a deal with Edmonton for a young kid who isn't working out for them and maybe get Smyth for a Cup run...at what cost? Not even going to attempt to list names...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#40 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Anything that involves Mule would be OK with me, but I think that ship has sailed!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock