• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

If we become sellers...

Rate this topic

I love how everyone comes in here and berates the OP by saying things like, it'll never happen, get real, he has a NMC, and everything else they can sling at him to attempt to belittle or make fun of him. All while the thread is IF we become sellers, hypothetically if the Wings miss the playoffs, what kind of return would you expect for Alfie. If you don't feel like playing along, then don't leave your negative comment, just don't comment at all...thanks.

... and for God's sake, don't suggest that a return of a first and Hamilton or Krug for Alfie may be reaching a tad high. Hugs all around.

If the Wings missed playoffs, I could only see them trading Alfie if he was sure he'd retire after the season. And only if he asked.

And for the people who want to tank and rebuild: why? Is getting one player worth delaying a Cup for multiple years? With a core of Dassyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Howard we need only to find the right pieces to be contenders again. Especially if the kids really do pan out the way we hope thongs will be fine. We as fans just lose patience because the CBA has all but killed trading and so we can only get pieces through annual free agencies.

Even if we became sellers, I don't think the Wings would part with Alfie. He's been tremendous this season, clearly has some good chemistry with the swedes on our team, and is a right hand shot after all!

Plus, he's gone through the whole process of up-rooting his entire family from Ottawa to Michigan. With the level of respect that KH etc have for their players, I don't think they'd even contemplate moving Alfie.

In spite of that, I'm hoping we re-sign him for one more year, because it looks like he's still got the drive and is having a lot of fun out there too. Plus at age 41, he's still a top 6 forward, which is incredible.

That said, I would not be opposed to a re-build of sorts. Even if that re-build would be dropping a few veterans and bumping up some of the young guys from GR and giving them full time roles. Would be interesting test for babcock also. I think missing the playoffs would hurt, but I'd rather secure the long term future of this franchise by missing the playoffs once than trying but failing now and suffering down the line.

NB. I still think this team has a reasonable shot, if everyone gets healthy, and babcock actually plays the right guys with the right amount of ice time.

Edited by wings4thecup06

Guest Playmaker

I love how everyone comes in here and berates the OP by saying things like, it'll never happen, get real, he has a NMC, and everything else they can sling at him to attempt to belittle or make fun of him. All while the thread is IF we become sellers, hypothetically if the Wings miss the playoffs, what kind of return would you expect for Alfie. If you don't feel like playing along, then don't leave your negative comment, just don't comment at all...thanks.

oh, and the NMC...Alfie signed here to win a Cup, if the Wings miss the playoffs and a favorite came calling for Alfie's availability, don't think for a minute that he wouldn't waive his clause to get that chance at a Cup. He'd be gone before you could spell Howe...

If his sole reason for leaving Ottawa was to win a Cup, he wouldn't have signed with the Red Wings. The Wings were clearly not Cup favorites, though their chances may be slightly better than the Sens. But the Wings aren't even in the top 5. There was obviously more involved and if it was only about winning a Cup, he'd have signed with another team, if there were any other teams interested.

If his sole reason for leaving Ottawa was to win a Cup, he wouldn't have signed with the Red Wings. The Wings were clearly not Cup favorites, though their chances may be slightly better than the Sens. But the Wings aren't even in the top 5. There was obviously more involved and if it was only about winning a Cup, he'd have signed with another team, if there were any other teams interested.

Didn't the reports this summer suggest he was also being wooed by Boston at the same time the Wings were courting him? If his first priority was to win a cup, you don't think he would have gone there? The Wings Swedish contingent has to have been a huge factor….

If the Wings missed playoffs, I could only see them trading Alfie if he was sure he'd retire after the season. And only if he asked.

And for the people who want to tank and rebuild: why? Is getting one player worth delaying a Cup for multiple years? With a core of Dassyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Howard we need only to find the right pieces to be contenders again. Especially if the kids really do pan out the way we hope thongs will be fine. We as fans just lose patience because the CBA has all but killed trading and so we can only get pieces through annual free agencies.

Thongs for sure are fine i like when women where boy shorts as well but i hope that we arent talking about on our players ;)

If the prize at the end is Connor McDavid for sure. The core is getting older and there is not one surefire prospect with superstar potential in the pipeline. So sucking one year to get one isn't a big deal to me.

thongs will be five

I think we found our future sniper in Mantha, so I think sucking for a year is worth getting McDavid. Besides, we'd have to do a whole lot of sucking to make it to the lottery and even then, we'd have to be lucky enough to get our card drawn...it looks as though Edmonton is well on their way to getting a great chance at yet another 1st overall...do you think they would trade it? They have to be tired of drafting this high and still stinking...

I brought up in a thread about possibly acquiring Taylor Hall from them, but what about Yakupov? He has seemed to not worked out in Edmonton either (of course a lot of those kids aren't) do you think he would be good enough to flank Datsyuk for the next three years?

If we became buyers, I would love to make a deal with Edmonton for a young kid who isn't working out for them and maybe get Smyth for a Cup run...at what cost? Not even going to attempt to list names...

I still think Franzen would be a nice fit in Vancouver...

I want to see if he gets to play with the twins in the Olympics and see if he in fact has good chemistry with them. Then IF we were looking to trade, he could go to Vancouver. I know I have mentioned this before, but he would be a tradable asset if we were to become sellers...or if we needed a change, which I think we all know, we do!

I still think Franzen would be a nice fit in Vancouver...

I want to see if he gets to play with the twins in the Olympics and see if he in fact has good chemistry with them. Then IF we were looking to trade, he could go to Vancouver. I know I have mentioned this before, but he would be a tradable asset if we were to become sellers...or if we needed a change, which I think we all know, we do!

I don't think anybody has ever disagreed with you that Franzen would be a tradable asset. I think it's clear a lot of teams would be happy to trade for him. I think the question has always been whether the Wings should trade him, to which there is still some debate.

As far as playing with the Sedins, of course he'll have chemistry. They literally make everyone else they play with look good. But considering that, chemistry with them would likely not be the deciding factor for Vancouver on the trade from. If everyone plays better with your two stars, then you get someone your organization needs, and not someone that has to complement the Sedins necessarily.

(Bump.)

Hate to be all doom and gloom, but the Z injury does not make me a "shiny-happy" person

Let's say Z, Pav, and Franzen are indeed out for the majority of the rest of the season.

Your forward corps. going into the playoff run is:

Weiss
Alfredsson
Helm
Bertuzzi
Abs
Cleary
Miller
Eaves
Gus
Andy
Tatar
Glendening

Jurco

Sheahan

We're sellers... No?

Trade Q and Kindl. Bring up Marchenko and Almquist.

See if there's any (unlikely) interest in Cleary or Bert.

Move Eaves.

See what you've got with the kids and evaluate talent for the off-season.

Quietly slink off into the off-season, missing the playoffs after moving to the "Easier" Eastern Conference.

(That last line makes me want to vomit.)

Add Alfie to the list as a possible mover. Not that I think he wants to move but he came here to win a cup, without Z we're not going to win a cup. He left the only team he'd ever played for to win a cup so I'm not naive enough to think he has some sort of loyalty to Detroit where he would rather play here than have a shot.

I don't think Alfie came here to win a Cup. He packed up his family and moved to Detroit. He bought a house. He went all in on a long term life change to come here. He's not going to want to be traded. I think he just wanted to play for a solid team with good management where all the pressure isn't on him. I don't think he's retiring this year, either. He still wants to play but recognizes he's not the number one guy anymore.

I don't think he wants to be a floating mercenary like Jagr and Iginla.

I don't think Alfie came here to win a Cup. He packed up his family and moved to Detroit. He bought a house. He went all in on a long term life change to come here. He's not going to want to be traded. I think he just wanted to play for a solid team with good management where all the pressure isn't on him. I don't think he's retiring this year, either. He still wants to play but recognizes he's not the number one guy anymore.

Exactly. I agree with every single word of this.

Agreed. Also, if he wants to re-sign here for another year... I think it's a no-brainer.

if the injuries to Z Pav and Mule are more serious than thought, would the front office ever entertain the idea of cashing in on them to contenders?

No. Maybe Franzen but no to Z and Dats. They are so valuable to teach the next generation of wings. Also their cap hits are too high for most contenders to deal with. We would need a 1C or top 5 pick coming back for this to make any sense at all.

I agree with you that I don't think he wants to, but if it comes down to it he wants to win a cup and he's on his last legs. I found this in an article on NHL.com written on July 5th.

"We had a lot of discussions here with our family leading up to this the last few days and it pretty much came down to a selfish decision in terms of I have not won the Stanley Cup," Alfredsson said. "I feel with Ottawa, they're getting closer and closer and definitely going in the right direction and have a really bright future in front of them, but at this stage of my career I just don't have the time to wait for that."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676941

This kind of confirms what we're all saying in a weird way. He wants to be in Detroit for the culture, and selfishly he wants to win a cup. He wouldn't want to move his family again obviously, but as a rental he wouldn't have to. He could sign again here next year to try again if it didn't pan out that he wins it this year. I just feel like he has one, maybe two years left to win a cup and if four months away from his family significantly increases his chances to do that, he'd do it.

Edit: I can't spell.

Edited by nawein

I also agree with all of this. Like I've said before, I firmly believe he left the Sens to be a Wing (and pursue a Cup as a Wing). Had the Cup been his only/primary consideration, he would've accepted Chiarelli's offer and gone to Boston.

And yet, I do wonder if he'd be willing to, say, make a run with Boston this season (fetching us a good return), then re-sign with us in the summer. Not that this would be something I'd bring up with him. It'd have to be his idea, his wishes, his will.

Edited by Dabura