Photo
- - - - -

If we become sellers...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I still think Franzen would be a nice fit in Vancouver...

I want to see if he gets to play with the twins in the Olympics and see if he in fact has good chemistry with them.  Then IF we were looking to trade, he could go to Vancouver. I know I have mentioned this before, but he would be a tradable asset if we were to become sellers...or if we needed a change, which I think we all know, we do!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I still think Franzen would be a nice fit in Vancouver...

I want to see if he gets to play with the twins in the Olympics and see if he in fact has good chemistry with them.  Then IF we were looking to trade, he could go to Vancouver. I know I have mentioned this before, but he would be a tradable asset if we were to become sellers...or if we needed a change, which I think we all know, we do!

I don't think anybody has ever disagreed with you that Franzen would be a tradable asset.  I think it's clear a lot of teams would be happy to trade for him.  I think the question has always been whether the Wings should trade him, to which there is still some debate.

As far as playing with the Sedins, of course he'll have chemistry.  They literally make everyone else they play with look good.  But considering that, chemistry with them would likely not be the deciding factor for Vancouver on the trade from.  If everyone plays better with your two stars, then you get someone your organization needs, and not someone that has to complement the Sedins necessarily.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

(Bump.)

Hate to be all doom and gloom, but the Z injury does not make me a "shiny-happy" person

Let's say Z, Pav, and Franzen are indeed out for the majority of the rest of the season.

Your forward corps. going into the playoff run is:

Weiss
Alfredsson
Helm
Bertuzzi
Abs
Cleary
Miller
Eaves
Gus
Andy
Tatar
Glendening

Jurco

Sheahan

We're sellers...  No?

Trade Q and Kindl.  Bring up Marchenko and Almquist.

See if there's any (unlikely) interest in Cleary or Bert.

Move Eaves.

See what you've got with the kids and evaluate talent for the off-season.

Quietly slink off into the off-season, missing the playoffs after moving to the "Easier" Eastern Conference.

(That last line makes me want to vomit.)

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#44 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Add Alfie to the list as a possible mover. Not that I think he wants to move but he came here to win a cup, without Z we're not going to win a cup. He left the only team he'd ever played for to win a cup so I'm not naive enough to think he has some sort of loyalty to Detroit where he would rather play here than have a shot.

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

I don't think Alfie came here to win a Cup. He packed up his family and moved to Detroit. He bought a house. He went all in on a long term life change to come here. He's not going to want to be traded. I think he just wanted to play for a solid team with good management where all the pressure isn't on him. I don't think he's retiring this year, either. He still wants to play but recognizes he's not the number one guy anymore.

I don't think he wants to be a floating mercenary like Jagr and Iginla.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

I don't think Alfie came here to win a Cup. He packed up his family and moved to Detroit. He bought a house. He went all in on a long term life change to come here. He's not going to want to be traded. I think he just wanted to play for a solid team with good management where all the pressure isn't on him. I don't think he's retiring this year, either. He still wants to play but recognizes he's not the number one guy anymore.

Exactly.  I agree with every single word of this.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#47 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Agreed.  Also, if he wants to re-sign here for another year... I think it's a no-brainer.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#48 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

if the injuries to Z Pav and Mule are more serious than thought, would the front office ever entertain the idea of cashing in on them to contenders?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#49 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

if the injuries to Z Pav and Mule are more serious than thought, would the front office ever entertain the idea of cashing in on them to contenders?

No. Maybe Franzen but no to Z and Dats. They are so valuable to teach the next generation of wings. Also their cap hits are too high for most contenders to deal with. We would need a 1C or top 5 pick coming back for this to make any sense at all.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#50 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I agree with you that I don't think he wants to, but if it comes down to it he wants to win a cup and he's on his last legs. I found this in an article on NHL.com written on July 5th.

"We had a lot of discussions here with our family leading up to this the last few days and it pretty much came down to a selfish decision in terms of I have not won the Stanley Cup," Alfredsson said. "I feel with Ottawa, they're getting closer and closer and definitely going in the right direction and have a really bright future in front of them, but at this stage of my career I just don't have the time to wait for that."

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=676941

This kind of confirms what we're all saying in a weird way. He wants to be in Detroit for the culture, and selfishly he wants to win a cup. He wouldn't want to move his family again obviously, but as a rental he wouldn't have to. He could sign again here next year to try again if it didn't pan out that he wins it this year. I just feel like he has one, maybe two years left to win a cup and if four months away from his family significantly increases his chances to do that, he'd do it.

Edit: I can't spell.

Edited by nawein, 14 February 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#51 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,011 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I also agree with all of this. Like I've said before, I firmly believe he left the Sens to be a Wing (and pursue a Cup as a Wing). Had the Cup been his only/primary consideration, he would've accepted Chiarelli's offer and gone to Boston.

And yet, I do wonder if he'd be willing to, say, make a run with Boston this season (fetching us a good return), then re-sign with us in the summer. Not that this would be something I'd bring up with him. It'd have to be his idea, his wishes, his will.

Edited by Dabura, 15 February 2014 - 07:51 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I think we found our future sniper in Mantha, so I think sucking for a year is worth getting McDavid.  Besides, we'd have to do a whole lot of sucking to make it to the lottery and even then, we'd have to be lucky enough to get our card drawn...it looks as though Edmonton is well on their way to getting a great chance at yet another 1st overall...do you think they would trade it? They have to be tired of drafting this high and still stinking...

I brought up in  a thread about possibly acquiring Taylor Hall from them, but what about Yakupov? He has seemed to not worked out in Edmonton either (of course a lot of those kids aren't) do you think he would be good enough to flank Datsyuk for the next three years?

If we became buyers, I would love to make a deal with Edmonton for a young kid who isn't working out for them and maybe get Smyth for a Cup run...at what cost? Not even going to attempt to list names...

Smyth isn't the guy you get to make a cup run.  He's as bad as Cleary at this point.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

I think we found our future sniper in Mantha, so I think sucking for a year is worth getting McDavid.  Besides, we'd have to do a whole lot of sucking to make it to the lottery and even then, we'd have to be lucky enough to get our card drawn...it looks as though Edmonton is well on their way to getting a great chance at yet another 1st overall...do you think they would trade it? They have to be tired of drafting this high and still stinking...

I brought up in  a thread about possibly acquiring Taylor Hall from them, but what about Yakupov? He has seemed to not worked out in Edmonton either (of course a lot of those kids aren't) do you think he would be good enough to flank Datsyuk for the next three years?

If we became buyers, I would love to make a deal with Edmonton for a young kid who isn't working out for them and maybe get Smyth for a Cup run...at what cost? Not even going to attempt to list names...

I've read some reports on McDavid where reporters are claiming he could be even better than Crosby when all is said and done. This means, whichever team gets the pick won't accept a trade :( If there is one year to suck it has to be next year, McDavid - Mantha would be an absolute scary top combo for the next 15 years. The biggest problem will be, that almost every damn team will be trying to suck as much as possible in order to pick this kid. I almost feel for him, the guy is 16 or 17 and already has all the pressure on his shoulders.

For the deadline I would say we should be sellers.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#54 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

No way we become sellers when we have $22 million in cap space opening up.  Unless someone takes Cleary, Bert or Sammy, or Tootoo, don't expect Illitch to sell anything but pizza.

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

If we become sellers...sell the farm for T.J. Oshie.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#56 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

HOW DO WE TRADE FOR OSHIE?!?!?!?! 

#57 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

With the cap and our contracts can't see us buying. Also don't see us selling either thou. Expect more of the same; nothing.

Edited by number9, 18 February 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#58 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

Maybe Chelios will re-sign for another 2-3 years if that much cap opens. We could always give a call to Kozlov and Modano to see what they are up to also.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#59 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Only sellable extra pieces we have are Andersson. He'll probably net a solid 7th rounder.

#60 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

nah I see a 4th for him

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie: