• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

This is interesting considering it's the season after a 1/2 season lost to a lockout. Y'all think Gary's stupid. He could probably out 'Keyser Soze' Keyser Soze.

Makes me think of Field of Dreams - "If I re-open it, they will come."

Wonder if this means the NHL is moving up the overall popularity chart or if the fanbase is just more attentive? We all know hockey fans are a dedicated, die-hard bunch, but are they expanding?

http://extramustard....nba-attendance/

TLDR: More NHL cities are running at 100% sellouts than NBA cities. Couple this with the NFL issues last weekend where they couldn't sellout PLAYOFF games, it becomes an interest read.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

I know hockey will never be a major sport because of the cost of entry and the geographic nature of it, but I never understood why it never garnered the same attention that gets thrown at the NBA.  For at least the last ten years it seems to be as successful business-wise, and as popular, yet hockey almost never gets mentioned on sports radio.  And when it does, it gets dismissed as a joke most of the time or the host admits he knows nothing about it.

It's great to know that the NHL is a success, but I'd like to see more mainstream acceptance.  It'll never be NFL of course, but the NHL deserves at least as much attention as the NBA.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

tv ratings are the driving force behind popularity. thats where the money is. i wouldn't say that the high attendance numbers are a bad thing, just not really important.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#4 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm not 100% which conference/division or whatever it is but they have like 3 teams with winning records, so like half the league gets dominated by a few teams. Fans probably don't want to spend whatever a basketball game costs to watch their team lose all the time.

#5 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Every time Ken Daniel say that Detroit has sold out I look around and they have tons of empty seats.

That indicates great corporate support and fan support, but tons of tickets left unused sitting in the corporate office or home office due to lack of interest.

I'd be concerd if I were Ilitch jr.

#6 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

This is actually good news, the NHL is seeing growing support regardless of the lockout problems. Maybe if more players were outspoken and threw their fingers in the cameras screaming they were number one it would gain more popularity and be on par with the NBA but I prefer having humble players with a reasonable amount of sportsmanship over a bunch of cocky showboats like the NBA is filled with. It's a team sport and the NHL seems to understand that for the most part, there are a lot more individuals that like to make it known that it's "all them" and enjoy talking about themselves over the team effort to gain more of the spotlight.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#7 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Exactly. I don't want the game to change just to attract more fans.

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I hope, Hockey is never becoming mainstream like someone already mentioned, showboaters, questionable atlethes, cocky superstars and crime stories aren't needed in hockey. Hockey thanks god for that, it's a real teamsport not some superstars need to show off and forget the team gongshow.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#9 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

http://sports.yahoo....20461--nhl.html

how are we the top? i thought our attendance was down?

#10 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

105,000 at a "home game" will boost the avg quite a bit!!

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#11 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

Better yet, how does an arena that holds 20,066 somehow average 23,780? Did they throw in the Winter Classic's 105K to up the average since it was technically a home game???

Quick math... 105K/~23 home games.. ~4565 added to each game.. I think that's what they did.. How positively anomalous. That's silly.

Edited by FireCaptain, 08 January 2014 - 11:49 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#12 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

In the states, hockey has a cult following. We all pack the stadiums but don't have the numbers to compete in TV ratings. There will always be more casual fans of the other major sports.

That's all this is saying.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#13 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

Sooner or later the US will understand, like the rest of the civilized world, that soccer and hockey are superior sports compared to American Football, basketball and baseball. It's just going to take a while, I think it's ingrained in the american mentality to focus on the individual over the team. It's all about the quarterback or the pitcher or the Lebron. In hockey/soccer it's not as simple to focus on one player.

#14 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

The arenas also fit considerably less people in hockey than in the other sports, so this doesn't surprise me

#15 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

IMHO the rise of the NHL has less to do with Bettman, and more with the quality of the game we see today; NHL players getting noticed (and seeing what great guys, and remarkable atheletes they are); strong Canadian $ along with franchise stability in Canada; and most of all - many are beginning to realize what a joke the NBA really is - from Bettman's pal aka the NBA commish David Stern down to the players themselves (really - the average 'baller' IMHO is a total d-bag).

Even though we didn't get what we wanted on HBO's 24/7 - we got a glimpse at how much tougher hockey players are when compared to their pro sport counterparts...How many NBA/MLB/English Premier League players would return to action after losing 10 teeth, or taking 18 stitches in the elbow?

With the Winter Olympics right around the corner - I'm hoping it's another USA/Canada vying for the gold medal...The NHL is prime to overtake the NBA is so many different ways; just too bad that most media outlets (in particular ESPN) have their heads so far up their rectums that they're still too busy sniffing Michael Jordan's jock strap, and dreaming a dellusional dream of how 'exciting' NBA basketball is...A big knock that remains against the NHL is that it doesn't help having franchises in less than optimal markets  <cough>Phoenix<cough>.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#16 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

It has nothing to do with the midget:

central things are:

- rise of full HD TVs

- 24/7 to hockey

- maybe most importantly no other teamsport has so much classy and humble stars, who are tough as nails and will play through almost everything in the name of the sport they love. 

as for ESPN well they just suck anyways, their homepage is a complete mess and most stories of other sports are controversal. 

kftx.jpg

#17 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Is it sad that all I can ever think of when it comes to the NHL vs the NBA is this?

64ed530d85476d3d0ba036519765d926.jpg

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#18 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Is it sad that all I can ever think of when it comes to the NHL vs the NBA is this?

64ed530d85476d3d0ba036519765d926.jpg

Well pictured, when I think of soccer and basketball I think of people lying on the floor crying and when I think of hockey, Bergeron, Stamkos (playing with a broken nose), Campbell (broken leg) are instantly coming to mind or lately Clearly, losing 6 teeth and gets back outthere.

Soccer or basketball players would act like the end is near.

kftx.jpg

#19 SportsRadioDetroit

SportsRadioDetroit

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Mike Morland and Roger Castillo of Sports Radio Detroit discuss the Puck Daddy article on Yahoo Sports (by Greg Wyshynski) on how NHL arenas are outselling those of the NBA. Is it a better game, more talent or just a swing of momentum? Find out as the guys break it down on SRD.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

There is a thread for this already.

http://www.letsgowin...a/#entry2471505