• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Certain NHL attendance metrics are better than NBA

Rate this topic

This is interesting considering it's the season after a 1/2 season lost to a lockout. Y'all think Gary's stupid. He could probably out 'Keyser Soze' Keyser Soze.

Makes me think of Field of Dreams - "If I re-open it, they will come."

Wonder if this means the NHL is moving up the overall popularity chart or if the fanbase is just more attentive? We all know hockey fans are a dedicated, die-hard bunch, but are they expanding?

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/08/nhl-versus-nba-attendance/

TLDR: More NHL cities are running at 100% sellouts than NBA cities. Couple this with the NFL issues last weekend where they couldn't sellout PLAYOFF games, it becomes an interest read.

I know hockey will never be a major sport because of the cost of entry and the geographic nature of it, but I never understood why it never garnered the same attention that gets thrown at the NBA. For at least the last ten years it seems to be as successful business-wise, and as popular, yet hockey almost never gets mentioned on sports radio. And when it does, it gets dismissed as a joke most of the time or the host admits he knows nothing about it.

It's great to know that the NHL is a success, but I'd like to see more mainstream acceptance. It'll never be NFL of course, but the NHL deserves at least as much attention as the NBA.

I'm not 100% which conference/division or whatever it is but they have like 3 teams with winning records, so like half the league gets dominated by a few teams. Fans probably don't want to spend whatever a basketball game costs to watch their team lose all the time.

Every time Ken Daniel say that Detroit has sold out I look around and they have tons of empty seats.

That indicates great corporate support and fan support, but tons of tickets left unused sitting in the corporate office or home office due to lack of interest.

I'd be concerd if I were Ilitch jr.

This is actually good news, the NHL is seeing growing support regardless of the lockout problems. Maybe if more players were outspoken and threw their fingers in the cameras screaming they were number one it would gain more popularity and be on par with the NBA but I prefer having humble players with a reasonable amount of sportsmanship over a bunch of cocky showboats like the NBA is filled with. It's a team sport and the NHL seems to understand that for the most part, there are a lot more individuals that like to make it known that it's "all them" and enjoy talking about themselves over the team effort to gain more of the spotlight.

I hope, Hockey is never becoming mainstream like someone already mentioned, showboaters, questionable atlethes, cocky superstars and crime stories aren't needed in hockey. Hockey thanks god for that, it's a real teamsport not some superstars need to show off and forget the team gongshow.

Better yet, how does an arena that holds 20,066 somehow average 23,780? Did they throw in the Winter Classic's 105K to up the average since it was technically a home game???

Quick math... 105K/~23 home games.. ~4565 added to each game.. I think that's what they did.. How positively anomalous. That's silly.

Edited by FireCaptain

In the states, hockey has a cult following. We all pack the stadiums but don't have the numbers to compete in TV ratings. There will always be more casual fans of the other major sports.

That's all this is saying.

Sooner or later the US will understand, like the rest of the civilized world, that soccer and hockey are superior sports compared to American Football, basketball and baseball. It's just going to take a while, I think it's ingrained in the american mentality to focus on the individual over the team. It's all about the quarterback or the pitcher or the Lebron. In hockey/soccer it's not as simple to focus on one player.

It has nothing to do with the midget:

central things are:

- rise of full HD TVs

- 24/7 to hockey

- maybe most importantly no other teamsport has so much classy and humble stars, who are tough as nails and will play through almost everything in the name of the sport they love.

as for ESPN well they just suck anyways, their homepage is a complete mess and most stories of other sports are controversal.

Is it sad that all I can ever think of when it comes to the NHL vs the NBA is this?

64ed530d85476d3d0ba036519765d926.jpg

Well pictured, when I think of soccer and basketball I think of people lying on the floor crying and when I think of hockey, Bergeron, Stamkos (playing with a broken nose), Campbell (broken leg) are instantly coming to mind or lately Clearly, losing 6 teeth and gets back outthere.

Soccer or basketball players would act like the end is near.

Maybe people are wising up and seeing through the BS that is pro basketball. It's egos and paychecks fighting to see which one can get bigger first. It's hype and silliness. It's arrogant little bastards who forget who is paying their paychecks. I want to say something else here, but it will get me in trouble, so I won't. Give me hockey any day.