• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Certain NHL attendance metrics are better than NBA

Rate this topic

Maybe people are wising up and seeing through the BS that is pro basketball. It's egos and paychecks fighting to see which one can get bigger first. It's hype and silliness. It's arrogant little bastards who forget who is paying their paychecks. I want to say something else here, but it will get me in trouble, so I won't. Give me hockey any day.

The possibilities abound.

Maybe people are wising up and seeing through the BS that is pro basketball. It's egos and paychecks fighting to see which one can get bigger first. It's hype and silliness. It's arrogant little bastards who forget who is paying their paychecks. I want to say something else here, but it will get me in trouble, so I won't. Give me hockey any day.

The possibilities abound.

Ha. I can guess....

Every time Ken Daniel say that Detroit has sold out I look around and they have tons of empty seats.

That indicates great corporate support and fan support, but tons of tickets left unused sitting in the corporate office or home office due to lack of interest.

I'd be concerd if I were Ilitch jr.

There are also a large number of 'ticket brokers' who buy and re-sell tickets through TicketExchange and StubHub. I learned this first hand when one double-sold tickets a friend had purchased on StubHub.

IMO, one of the things keeping hockey from mainstream acceptance is its inaccessibility for the casual viewer. While HDTV has helped the game more than most anything, the rules and flow of a game seem a little much for the "once in a while" viewer to get past. I also wonder how much shorter attention spans factor into this. One of the things I love most about hockey is that you could see 10 minutes of game time go by with no commercial breaks. Maybe some folks can't focus that long on anything.

Well pictured, when I think of soccer and basketball I think of people lying on the floor crying and when I think of hockey, Bergeron, Stamkos (playing with a broken nose), Campbell (broken leg) are instantly coming to mind or lately Clearly, losing 6 teeth and gets back outthere.

Soccer or basketball players would act like the end is near.

Of course, hockey players never dive to get a call.

I've played all 3 sports and while you get hit harder in hockey, being hit with studs on unprotected leg or landing on someone foot and rolling an ankle hurts a lot more at the moment.

While you can skate with a fractured foot, you can't run on one. I've seen plenty of soccer players play on with heir heads bandaged after a head on head collision or being hit on a head with high kick. A lot more play on sprained knees and ankles having had an anesthesia shot before the game.

IMHO the rise of the NHL has less to do with Bettman, and more with the quality of the game we see today; NHL players getting noticed (and seeing what great guys, and remarkable atheletes they are); strong Canadian $ along with franchise stability in Canada; and most of all - many are beginning to realize

Even though we didn't get what we wanted on HBO's 24/7 - we got a glimpse at how much tougher hockey players are when compared to their pro sport counterparts...How many NBA/MLB/English Premier League players would return to action after losing 10 teeth, or taking 18 stitches in the elbow?

There's no back substitution in soccer and baseball? You can't go to the locker room get stitched up and return to he game.

My point being - the NBA/MLB/soccer guys wouldn't return...They'd stay in the locker room to nurse their 'boo-boos'.

EDIT - btw - soccer is notorious for diving...Guys go down as if they were shot by a sniper.

How do you know that, absent any evidence, or even any possibility for them to return?

As for "notorious", I'd like to see some metrics on how often players dive/embelish in either sport. Again, remember that soccer/basket/baseball players don't wear much in the way of padding.

As for "notorious", I'd like to see some metrics on how often players dive/embelish in either sport. Again, remember that soccer/basket/baseball players don't wear much in the way of padding.

You should look for them then, it's out there and it's clear that soccer has the worst divers of all sports. There are certainly divers in any sport but soccer is the worst and it's the main reason I don't watch the sport (and that is what I lettered in during high school).

You should look for them then, it's out there and it's clear that soccer has the worst divers of all sports. There are certainly divers in any sport but soccer is the worst and it's the main reason I don't watch the sport (and that is what I lettered in during high school).

Link to some quantifiable data? And what soccer league do you mean? I'm sure that Italian Spanish English German etc will have different levels of diving. As would NHL/KHL/Swiss/Swedish/Czech etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QBPGXJE86I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_puN-S5OM

Soccer diving at it's finest.

Unless you've been living in a cave - it's pretty well known that both MLB/NBA players are prima donnas.

I'm sure there are vids of hockey diving as well, the question is how widespread such behavior is, and how to measure the acuteness of pain i different sports.

And there are no hockey playing primadonnas? Adjusted for higher fame/popularity/income in major sports, I'd say that hockey has relatively as many examples.

No there aren't. ;)

I'm sure there are vids of hockey diving as well, the question is how widespread such behavior is, and how to measure the acuteness of pain i different sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlyh2Aj0vU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3hjEOTU71Y

Edited by FireCaptain

Hockey is tough sell on tv with the biscuit so small, those who have played or watched for a while know where the pik is, was, going based on the situation body position of players, and what not

Hockey is tough sell on tv with the biscuit so small, those who have played or watched for a while know where the pik is, was, going based on the situation body position of players, and what not