• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Pissed off: JJ speaking out

Rate this topic

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/01/08/olympic-team-snub-frustrates-johnson.html

I fully support and understand him, if my *own* coach isn't willing to go bot bat for me, I would be having a hard time giving my all and more for him. Seriously, Jack Johnson was traded to the BLue Jackets, came in with a positive attitude and that's the kind of "thanks" he is getting from Richards ? Man if my personal coach would tell others I'm not good enough I would be changing him immediately.

Richards should kiss his .... thanks to players like JJ he is still having a job, yeah the guy [JJ] may not have the best season, but he is still miles better than the likes of Faulk. So how about backing him up and helping him out instead of basically throwing him under the bus ?

I'm starting to wonder, if team USA should change their braintrust, I think some of them can't spell the word "classy" it just isn't in their vocabulary.

Edited by frankgrimes

So you're saying just because JJ is playing for Richards (after all it was GM decision to trade for JJ) he must choose him over those who he thinks would be better to team USA? It is not how it works.

No, but he should have had his [JJ]s back. Since Richards doesn't have that big of an influence, how about saying he is a great player, a leader on our team in my mind, he should be there, how do you [others] see it?

Personally if I were JJ I would ask for a t rade.

You guys (and Johnson too) are basing all of this off an article that was specifically written to drum up controversy. There are a million things about the selection process that Burnside could have focused on, he chose to include quote after quote about player evals...and almost exclusively negative evals I might add. Narry a mention in there about why a particular player is a stud and exceeding expectations, but lots about why guys aren't.

Point is, Richards almost certainly had a lot of good things to say about Johnson. Who wouldn't? Johnson is a good player. But at the end of the day, my guess is that anything good was glossed over because the "Johnson snubbed by Team USA" story was too good to pass up.

Same with Burke and Ryan, Burnside conveniently leaves out the part where Burke picks him but definitely leaves in the part where Burke criticizes him.

Just shut up and play harder, he's only 26, he will get another shot at it, it's not like he's an all star though. He's not bad, but he is by no means Shea weber or zdeno chara, he is a decent top 4 guy, he wouldn't be the guy that puts his Olympic team "over the top"

I guess I missed the part where Johnson was entitled to be on the Olympic team because he meets the only two qualifications necessary A) be American, and B) be Jack Johnson. Is it his birthright?

He's an offensive d-man who isn't scoring, and who's never been good EVER defensively. Johnson isn't even a competent defenseman in the NHL and in the Olympics he'd be up against All-Star teams. No Dan Cleary's or Patrick Eaves' in Sochi.

Finally, it's not like he's the only offensive d-man that didn't make the cut. Yandle, Bfuglien, and Erik Johnson are all having better seasons than JJ, and none of them made it. But you don't see them complaining in the news, Jack's the only that didn't make it and made a big deal about it.

Edited by kipwinger

I think the main thing to take from this article is the unprofessionalism displayed by USA Hockey and its officials. This type of insider information, while craved by all of us, should never be released to the public. If after the announcement, a coach, GM, or other official wants to say "this is why we took/didn't take Player X", that's fine, but it can then be a more polished statement. Also, players who have been part of the program for years--like Johnson--and were passed over deserved a call before the announcement. It's just the right thing to do.

I think the main thing to take from this article is the unprofessionalism displayed by USA Hockey and its officials. This type of insider information, while craved by all of us, should never be released to the public. If after the announcement, a coach, GM, or other official wants to say "this is why we took/didn't take Player X", that's fine, but it can then be a more polished statement. Also, players who have been part of the program for years--like Johnson--and were passed over deserved a call before the announcement. It's just the right thing to do.

That's the important part of the whole story. JJ is not so pissed about not being nominated, he's pissed because:

1. his OWN coach didn't go to bat for him - seriously, I'd expect that from my coach he expects me to go to bat for him so he should do the same for me...it's a two way street right ?

2. the way JJ found it out via TV that's just totally unprofessional, give the guy a freaking phonecall and some kind words.

That's the important part of the whole story. JJ is not so pissed about not being nominated, he's pissed because:

1. his OWN coach didn't go to bat for him - seriously, I'd expect that from my coach he expects me to go to bat for him so he should do the same for me...it's a two way street right ?

2. the way JJ found it out via TV that's just totally unprofessional, give the guy a freaking phonecall and some kind words.

Bingo

I don't care so much about the Richards not batting for him stuff... As JJ I'd expect him to put a good word in for me... but when it comes down to it Richards has to help put the best team together, and if there's a better option than his own JJ, well, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Bingo

I don't care so much about the Richards not batting for him stuff... As JJ I'd expect him to put a good word in for me... but when it comes down to it Richards has to help put the best team together, and if there's a better option than his own JJ, well, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Exactly. We're viewing this like it's a matter of family loyalty or something. I'm sure, when they were talking about JJ they went over the pros and cons. I imagine (like all professionals) that Richards spoke about each. He's the guy in the best position to do so. Followed by Lombardi (who likely did the same).

Does Johnson seriously believe that Richards is supposed to laud his (mediocre) play and put him on a team that he doesn't deserve to be on just because he's his coach?

I don't hear Johnson claiming that Richards should have done his all to ensure Dubinsky was on the team. Is that his job too?

I thought this thread would be about J.J. Daigneault. :confused:

In any case, these players should think twice before calling anyone out. There might very well be injuries until the Olympics that would prompt calling Johnson. I remember Samuelsson running his mouth a few years ago at Sweden's selection committee.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Playmaker

I had heard that Jack Johnson had an attitude problem and that it was no coincidence that the LA Kings flourished after they got rid of him.

I had heard that Jack Johnson had an attitude problem and that it was no coincidence that the LA Kings flourished after they got rid of him.

Considering he's being very vocal about how mad he is he didn't make the team, I'm not surprised he has an attitude problem. :P

Edited by MCleveland89

I guess I missed the part where Johnson was entitled to be on the Olympic team because he meets the only two qualifications necessary A) be American, and B) be Jack Johnson. Is it his birthright?

He's an offensive d-man who isn't scoring, and who's never been good EVER defensively. Johnson isn't even a competent defenseman in the NHL and in the Olympics he'd be up against All-Star teams. No Dan Cleary's or Patrick Eaves' in Sochi.

Finally, it's not like he's the only offensive d-man that didn't make the cut. Yandle, Bfuglien, and Erik Johnson are all having better seasons than JJ, and none of them made it. But you don't see them complaining in the news, Jack's the only one that didn't make it and made a big deal about it.

Somebody hold JJ's hand while he puts his big boy pants on. *sheesh* Even Bobby Ryan didn't cry this much when he was snubbed.

Guest Playmaker

I don't really think he, or anyone else is "owed" a phone call. You announce the team, if you don't hear your name, you're not on the team. So are they supposed to call 20 or 50 guys who are eligible and pat them on the head and explain things? I can't recall on any team ever calling someone or whatever and telling them they didn't make the team. There are tryouts, the team is posted, the end.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/01/08/olympic-team-snub-frustrates-johnson.html

I fully support and understand him, if my *own* coach isn't willing to go bot bat for me, I would be having a hard time giving my all and more for him. Seriously, Jack Johnson was traded to the BLue Jackets, came in with a positive attitude and that's the kind of "thanks" he is getting from Richards ? Man if my personal coach would tell others I'm not good enough I would be changing him immediately.

Richards should kiss his .... thanks to players like JJ he is still having a job, yeah the guy [JJ] may not have the best season, but he is still miles better than the likes of Faulk. So how about backing him up and helping him out instead of basically throwing him under the bus ?

I'm starting to wonder, if team USA should change their braintrust, I think some of them can't spell the word "classy" it just isn't in their vocabulary.

USA is bringing homer picks in Orpik and Martin instead of Johnson and Bogosian.

Canada is bringing Kunitz, Nash and Subban to keep the bench warm instead of Couture, St. Louis and Seabrook.

Sweden is bringing Tallinder instead of Hedman or Brodin.

I'm wondering which team has "braintrust".

Either way, Bobby Ryan was completely blasted by Burke and was very smart about everything he said. Jack Johnson is a whiny tool. While he's a good player, there's still guys that the USA team could put that are better than him.

I never heard anything about an attitude problem when he was with LA, but there was definitely a lot of buzz about trading him for the whole year before they pulled the trigger. He's got a lot of skills but had terrible decision making.

Trading one of their more offensive D-men when the Kings were already having trouble scoring seemed like a crazy move, but their defense definitely improved in his absence.

I was surprised when some GM in the article mentioned taking a d-man with more defensive upside like J Johnson if they passed on Yandle. Admittedly I haven't seen much of Johnson this season but I wouldn't consider him having a ton more defensive ability than Yandle.

I never heard anything about an attitude problem when he was with LA, but there was definitely a lot of buzz about trading him for the whole year before they pulled the trigger. He's got a lot of skills but had terrible decision making.

Trading one of their more offensive D-men when the Kings were already having trouble scoring seemed like a crazy move, but their defense definitely improved in his absence.

I was surprised when some GM in the article mentioned taking a d-man with more defensive upside like J Johnson if they passed on Yandle. Admittedly I haven't seen much of Johnson this season but I wouldn't consider him having a ton more defensive ability than Yandle.

You add a natural center/capable winger in Carter... and Voynov, who's still an offensive-defenseman but better decision maker, gets better/more minutes... team play/defense is going to get better.

Attitude issues, current Team USA issues aside, seem overblown. Lombardi did do himself a disservice by criticizing JJ's time at U of M and had to do some damage control/re-assertion that Johnson was a player of note. Hell, he drafted the guy after college... so he must have seen something in the guy even though he went to U of M. ...and still, to this day, he went out of his way to amend the situation. My snotty "big-boy pants" comments are maybe a little childish, but Johnson seems to be a bit sensitive and maybe he does need his hand held a bit when it comes to his feelings, pride in country, alma mater, etc.

...but Johnson didn't get traded from the Kings because of his attitude issues.

He got traded because the Kings had better offensive defensemen and they could get Carter for him. NO-BRAINER!!

Nice guy or not, no one would blink twice if offensive-minded Kindl (also snubbed by his national team) got traded for a top-six winger and our defense and all around play got better.

So who gives a hoot about Jack friggin'Johnson?

You add a natural center/capable winger in Carter... and Voynov, who's still an offensive-defenseman but better decision maker, gets better/more minutes... team play/defense is going to get better.

Attitude issues, current Team USA issues aside, seem overblown. Lombardi did do himself a disservice by criticizing JJ's time at U of M and had to do some damage control/re-assertion that Johnson was a player of note. Hell, he drafted the guy after college... so he must have seen something in the guy even though he went to U of M. ...and still, to this day, he went out of his way to amend the situation. My snotty "big-boy pants" comments are maybe a little childish, but Johnson seems to be a bit sensitive and maybe he does need his hand held a bit when it comes to his feelings, pride in country, alma mater, etc.

...but Johnson didn't get traded from the Kings because of his attitude issues.

He got traded because the Kings had better offensive defensemen and they could get Carter for him. NO-BRAINER!!

Nice guy or not, no one would blink twice if offensive-minded Kindl (also snubbed by his national team) got traded for a top-six winger and our defense and all around play got better.

So who gives a hoot about Jack friggin'Johnson?

To be clear, when the deal was actually finalized it makes perfect sense. But Johnson was in trade talks a lot of that season. I just meant at the time it seemed counter intuitive to trade an offensive d-man. But Carter was exactly what the Kings needed.

Voynov definitely made it easy for them to let Johnson go. And I would do a happy dance if Kindl got traded for a top six winger.