• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

The problem is we have so many fourth line players as it is. And Hollands love affair with cleary and Sammy and what not. There might not be room. If tootoo, Sammy, cleary, Bert, eaves and emmerton are gone then I personally would love a sheahan glendening and Callahan fourth. I just don't see it happening and I think Callahan and Ferraro will be the odd men out.

The problem with this is that Emmerton was playing 2nd/3rd line minutes since he came down to GR, while Callahan put up some great numbers while playing on the 4th line,and only then did he see more time with quality linemates..I`m sure he will be a huge upgrade over some of the plugs on the bottom 6 next year, if only for his willingness to hit 

#62 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Not that any of you will believe me, but a buddy of mine who bartends in GR had a convo with Ferraro about a week ago. Ferraro told him that he doesn't expect to stay with Detroit. Basically that there's too many guys in front of him.

#63 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

No, I find that entirely believable.

Miller and Andersson will be here next season. Babcock loves Glendening.  He's also starting to love Sheahan.  Cleary wore an A last night and hasn't been as terribad as he was in Oct/Nov and may be back next year (:o). 

There's only so many 4th line spots to go round.  The fact that Callahan and Ferraro haven't been given a single call up, despite all the injuries, is very telling.  Its a shame, because I like Ferraro, he reminds me a lot of Maltby (but also drops the gloves occasionally).  But it's a numbers game right now, and those 2 are on the outside looking in.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#64 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Callahan scored again last night to take his tally to 15 goals. He's a great net presence in the mould of Holmstrom and gets the majority of his goals this way.

I'd like to see him get a shot at the NHL. Heck, he scored a goal in two preseason games with the Wings this year, what more does he have to do!

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#65 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hes definitely doing his best to show he deserves a call up. Ferraro has underwhelmed this year but Callahan just keeps scoring. Callahan looks like a better player than Tootoo in the AHL. I would actually like to see Andersson traded, hes not that good but might have a bit of value. It will clear up some space on the roster and better players can step in like Sheahan. Then other younger guys can get their shot as well

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#66 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hes definitely doing his best to show he deserves a call up. Ferraro has underwhelmed this year but Callahan just keeps scoring. Callahan looks like a better player than Tootoo in the AHL. I would actually like to see Andersson traded, hes not that good but might have a bit of value. It will clear up some space on the roster and better players can step in like Sheahan. Then other younger guys can get their shot as well

Andersson will be made expendable by Sheahan and Glendening. Ferraro can play right wing as an Eaves replacement and has more wheels. Andersson has pretty much reached his potential due to his slow skating (not ideal for 4th line crash and bang duty considering Helm is locked in at 3rd line C). I'd be happy with a 3rd for Andersson at this point. He doesn't really make our team better in any way - Sheahan and Glendening and Ferraro can all PK like he can.

#67 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

I doubt they will just let Ferraro walk druing the offseason..they will make him a qualifying offer and give him a chance to outplay the competition

#68 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I doubt they will just let Ferraro walk druing the offseason..they will make him a qualifying offer and give him a chance to outplay the competition

IMO the more likely scenario is that he doesn't play his way into a spot on the big club & another team makes a claim on him when the Wings have to put him through waivers.  And of course Cleary will be re-signed which means months of teeth gnashing & rending of hair that we would still have Ferraro if not for Cleary.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#69 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

and what if he doesn't? Can't go back to Grand Rapids...he won't clear waivers

#70 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I know, but after training camp it all depends on the roster situation..maybe they keep him as a healthy reserve player (considering Helm`s frequent injuries) maybe not..we can just guess at this point,but as I said, I doubt they`ll just let him walk, without even giving him a qualifying offer..or I`m completely wrong and that`s what happens, who can say, with the way things turned out last summer :D

#71 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

If Callahan never pulls on a Red Wings sweater for a regular season game then I have lost faith in what this organization is trying to do. Develop kids and let them walk so we can play washed up cleary,sammy,bert over them? This kid has worked his tail off and put up the numbers to at least earn a look. 

#72 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yeah I know, but after training camp it all depends on the roster situation..maybe they keep him as a healthy reserve player (considering Helm`s frequent injuries) maybe not..we can just guess at this point,but as I said, I doubt they`ll just let him walk, without even giving him a qualifying offer..or I`m completely wrong and that`s what happens, who can say, with the way things turned out last summer :D

I agree. I'd like to think KH has learnt from his mistakes when he put Quincey through waivers several years ago. I think the more likely scenario is he gets used as part of a package in a trade. But we shall see

temp 1

#73 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

You see teams trading players for draft picks all the time...why can't Holland do that?

#74 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

If Callahan never pulls on a Red Wings sweater for a regular season game then I have lost faith in what this organization is trying to do. Develop kids and let them walk so we can play washed up cleary,sammy,bert over them? This kid has worked his tail off and put up the numbers to at least earn a look. 

Well considering Cleary, Sammy and Bert aren't signed for next season I'm not sure how they're going to be responsible for losing a guy like Callahan to a roster crunch.

That dead horse has been beat enough.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#75 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Another goal last night for Callahan to take his tally to a still team-leading 16 goals. Anyone not following the Griffins might be interested to know Jordin Tootoo has 8 points in 22 games as well.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#76 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

http://griffinscentr...les/012014.html

Interesting to see whose on the top of the list and who should be getting an NHL call up

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#77 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

http://griffinscentr...les/012014.html

Interesting to see whose on the top of the list and who should be getting an NHL call up

Great to see Mitch doing so well.

However that list is stupidass.

Jarnkrok with a C+? Come on. Sure the kid's offensive stats are underwhelming but Blashill plays him in every situation and he's centering the top line.

Edited by rick zombo, 22 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#78 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Ferraro has never generated any real excitement among scouts or anyone other than fans.  I don't follow prospects super-close, but I do know aside from his draft-day, there's been very little hype and a lot of criticism.  I've never really heard anyone seriously suggest he was ever going to make the Wings.  

I'm sure Callahan will get his chance, though.  They're just focused on trying to get a stable core of young guns, and we've already called up so many.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#79 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Really want Callahan to get a shot in the national
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#80 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Ferraro has never generated any real excitement among scouts or anyone other than fans.  I don't follow prospects super-close, but I do know aside from his draft-day, there's been very little hype and a lot of criticism.  I've never really heard anyone seriously suggest he was ever going to make the Wings.  

I'm sure Callahan will get his chance, though.  They're just focused on trying to get a stable core of young guns, and we've already called up so many.

I think you're being a little harsh on Ferraro.  He definitely wasn't an exciting pick when they took him, and he has struggled with injuries for much of his AHL career, but he really broke through last season and looked good.  There was a lot of talk last season about him finally taking the next step in his development, particularly in terms of developing his two-way game.  While nobody has ever spoke of him playing a top six role in Detroit, as of a year ago he was considered a lock for a future bottom six spot. 

Having said that, the rapid development of Sheahan and Glendening, along with Babs' man crush on the latter may mean that Ferraro has been leap frogged.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."