• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

1/9 GDT: Red Wings 1 @ Sharks 4

Rate this topic

Samuelsson,Cleary,Bertuzzi,Gustavsson,Howard,Ericsson,Weiss,Kronwall,Datsyuk and Alfredsson. The last 3 mentioned I can see making sense but the rest??? I mean WTF is Holland thinking? or is he even thinking at all?? This roster is a mess! and Holland has handcuffed himself with all these NTC's!

Holy crap...

Edited by The Greek

This season has been Murphys Law so far, Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Questionable contract signings and re-signings, a stunning amount of injuries, and a pretty bad start in the East for Detroit.

The optimist can also say it could be much worse. Considering all the woes this season, our record could be tremendously worse and there could be a much deeper hole to scrape out of.

This team is capable of contending when healthy, but with consistent injuries to key players that continue to occur it's an ongoing struggle. Who knows what the remainder of this season will bring but stick it out because that's what Wings fan do. All we can do as fans is continue watching, supporting, and cheering on our boys in red and white. It's been a rough road but we'll survive, there have been worse spots than this in the past.

You guys are calling out Howard? Looking at the recap video on NHL, it looked like Howard gave the Wings a chance to get back in there. Sure the 2nd goal he would like to have back, but how about those PP saves, a 2 on 1 save, lack of defensive coverage in his own zone? Then you have Bert miss a wide open net, Tatar as well near the end. The 4th goal was one hell of a shot, not many goalies are going to stop a snipe that close and with so much time to shoot.

This game was typical of this season - once again the offense was unable to finish, the defense had several miscues that led to goals against, and the goalie surrendered softies that totally sucked the life out of the team. The WIngs' offense is ranked 22nd in the league (that alone speaks for itself). The team in general seems to be incapable of having a puck possession game. The defense gets lazy and typically forfeits odd man rushes in almost every game (I am specifically getting tired of seeing our d-men literally being out-hustled or floating around aimlessly while in their own zone). Howard has won less than 30% of his games, is barely cracking a 90% save percentage, and averages nearly 3 goals against a game. Quite frankly, Detroit is lucky they are not further down in the standings given the preceding facts (it certainly is good Detroit is no longer in the Western Conference as their win percentage against such teams is a pathetic .375). The real scary thing is management and the head coach seem to have become complacent with certain players (e.g. Dan Cleary). I will never understand the rationale for benching and sending Jordin Tootoo to Grand Rapids when he could easily be replacing Dan Cleary. It will be interesting to see where the Wings are at in the standings and what happens by the trade deadline.

Edited by aflac9262

Babcock quote

“I’m going to do what I do every night,” Babcock said. “The guys who play the best will get the most (ice time).”

So Dan Cleary outplays Tatar and Nyquist ? Tatar scored a goal yesterday, and Cleary did nothing but take a dumb elbowing penalty yet had more ice time. Cleary had the 2nd most minutes last night behind Zetterberg.

It looks like this team and organization is still living in the past. This sure as hell isn't 2008. I've seen teams with less talent(Islanders) give their all and still lose yet play hard from the opening drop of the puck til the final horn. That's a lot more acceptable than skating around and thinking wins will fall into your lap. I see no fire from players or coaches. Did Babcock remind these guys how pitiful they've been against San Jose the past 5 years? Howard is an atrocity. This is not the man I want back there as the last resort when we need a big save. Defense is bad, no doubt, but man the goalie outplays no one regardless of what other team or what other goalie is out there.

Edited by GoWings!

Babs says that garbage constantly and it's consistently inaccurate. If this team is going to be overwhelmingly mediocre anyways, I want Nyquist and Tatar playing a lot of minutes. Dan Cleary has no role here in the future (realistically, not sure in Ken Holland's world). Call up Jurco and Sheahan too. Let's at least build a foundation instead of middling in mediocrity with a bunch of pieces that have no long-term value.

I'm keeping the faith (as always), but last night I started to get this unusual, strange feeling that this season will not end well.

Besides Tatar's goal...we coulnd't get within 20 feet of the net. They were very successfully pushing us out to the perimeter. The 40 foot cross ice passes aren't going to win you games. They owned everything below and inside the circles.

Did anyone else notice how many times the Wizard of Oz said Howard looked good,was back to the ol Howard,man this guy is as bad a judge of talent as he is an announcer,I think all the eropean players are saving it for the Olympics

I'm seeing that same lack of desire. I'm not sure whether its the constant injuries depleting the lineup, but the guys don't seem to be focused and get thrown off way too easily.

Babcock has said that Sheahan will be called up soon I think, with Abby moving to the wing.

Edited by wings4thecup06

Did anyone else notice how many times the Wizard of Oz said Howard looked good,was back to the ol Howard,man this guy is as bad a judge of talent as he is an announcer,I think all the eropean players are saving it for the Olympics

I think osgood feels uncomfortable criticizing his friend and former counterpart. You could argue that it's osgood's professional responsibility to be impartial. Nonetheless, it's hard to be critical of someone you see regularly, especially when you're close with that person. It's usually the national writers and commentators that really criticisize players.

Either way, you can't pin this all on Howard. The first goal was a onetimer in which zetterberg let pavelski get away from him and get open. Howard played really well until the second goal, which was awful. The third goal was a rebound, but it's not like Howard kicked it out. It bounced right into pavelski's pants. He just handled it perfectly. The fourth goal looks as if Kronwall was screening Howard. If that's not the case then it's a pretty bad goal.

I didn't mean for this post to turn into a defense of Howard. He has not been playing well enough to get the majority of starts. However, it's premature to run him out of town or declare Gus the new starter. It seems like most of Howard's issues are mental. Furthermore, it's not like we're losing a bunch of games by one goal. There are many games where the offense, defense, or both fail to show up.

Edit: I didn't think about all the shootouts. We've totally lost a bunch of one goal games. Still, before this season, Howard was really good in the shootout. Which brings me back to my point that Howard's issues seem to be mental.

Edited by The Greek

I don't know if you guys remember me at all? I was here a while ago.I don't know if any of you are still on here when I was on here. I'm also not here to talk smack.

I was on twitter and overheard some things and wanted to get your guys unbiased opinions on the Sharks. Do you think they are the dirtiest team in the league?

I do miss the rivalry the Sharks and Redwings had over the years. It's not the same without you guys in the Western Conference. Hope you guys get healthy. You guys still bring the best out of the Sharks.