57 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 34m

Franzen said he's still experiencing dizziness and doesn't feel good. Status for Thursday uncertain.

#42 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

I knew this day would come. This is why i was so adamant about keeping Hossa and dumping Franzen back in '09.

#43 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yeah let's ignore how great he played the 20 games before his injury.

Lets ignore the fact that he's got a track record a mile wide of being streaky, and that he was on pace for a whooping 24 goals, and realize he's going to be 35 next season, has a track record of injury and is on the downside of the normal career curve. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I knew this day would come. This is why i was so adamant about keeping Hossa and dumping Franzen back in '09.

Ya, hossa has never been injured. And also you're a fortune teller and you knew franzen would get a concussion in late 2013, and that the word would end December 21 2012 right

#45 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Ya, hossa has never been injured. And also you're a fortune teller and you knew franzen would get a concussion in late 2013, and that the word would end December 21 2012 right

Hossa wasn't a player that went from a bubble energy player to a superstar in one season. He had a many productive seasons, and even when not producing was a premier two way forward. Franzen when he's not producing is invisible, and aside from a couple playoffs and 2008, he's nothing special. And as I said before, he's 35 in 2014, and most players not named Jagr age that well. 

Im Wasser verbrannt

#46 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Lets ignore the fact that he's got a track record a mile wide of being streaky, and that he was on pace for a whooping 24 goals, and realize he's going to be 35 next season, has a track record of injury and is on the downside of the normal career curve. 

He was on a huge coldstreak even by his streaky standards to start the season. He's still one of our more skilled and productive players. 

And most players will be a year older a year from now. 

#47 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I saw what you did there.

Seriously, do you buyout Weiss or Franzen?

#48 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

I saw what you did there.

Seriously, do you buyout Weiss or Franzen?

Let them fight to the death. Problem solved.

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

The concussion late 2013 was a love tap.  The problem is, he has been and still suffers from his massive injury in 2008, then if you remember correctly, after he returned from that injury, Gary Roberts gave him an elbow shiver to the head in the finals that season further compounding his injury.

I too wish they had chosen Hossa over Franzen, but back then none of us knew that his head problem was going to linger this long.  I am guilty of just thinking he sucked from 2009 on and didn't even once give it a thought that it was his 2008 concussion causing all these problems and turning into the player he is today.  A lot has been explained now when I think back to him saying things like he can't focus while on the ice most nights, has trouble getting into the game on most nights and his streakiness just proves now that his problem hasn't gone away. He will turn into 2008 Franzen for 5 games, then disappear for 20. 

I am not sorry I wished all these years that Holland chose Hossa over Franzen, but looking back, if I knew he was suffering this long, I sure would have thought differently of him.  Now we just need to see if he can come back healthy AND productive this season, or wait until next season and see if the extended time off cures him.  If it doesn't, then he needs to hang up the skates...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#50 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Let them fight to the death. Problem solved.

Thinking outside the box. I like that.

Let me check the CBA.

#51 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

He was on a huge coldstreak even by his streaky standards to start the season. He's still one of our more skilled and productive players. 

I assumed the buyout he was referring to was the amnesty buy out before next season, which would be the season of his 35th year. As such, it would be a great time to release the team from a long term liability that isn't going to be getting magically better.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I agree Shaman, especially if he doesn't seem to be getting better health-wise. He could take the lump sum buyout, live like a king and keep a straight head on his shoulders. He can enjoy his wife and kid(s) and not have severe head problems for life.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#53 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

He can enjoy his wife and kid(s) and not have severe head problems for life.

As well as the added bonus of not causing lifelong severe head problems for some Wing fans.

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hossa wasn't a player that went from a bubble energy player to a superstar in one season. He had a many productive seasons, and even when not producing was a premier two way forward. Franzen when he's not producing is invisible, and aside from a couple playoffs and 2008, he's nothing special. And as I said before, he's 35 in 2014, and most players not named Jagr age that well. 

right... cause your response has so much to do with his concussion... 

#55 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 34m

Franzen said he's still experiencing dizziness and doesn't feel good. Status for Thursday uncertain.

Well, since you have to be symptom free for a week before you're cleared to play, I think his status for Thursday is pretty clear

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#56 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

It's kinda sad that many Wings fans seem to have been waiting for a day like this for Franzen.

Just to say I told ya so and prove some opinion they had as being right.

Seems many would sacrifice the success of the team just to prove a point.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

No matter if you like a player or not, this is obviously not good I'm not just talking about hockey here but the person Franzen.

I hope he can become symptom free very soon and then start thinking about his return, not the other way.

so get well soon Mule

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#58 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I've been more impressed with his regular season performance this year than any of the last few.  That being said, I wish him a speedy recovery.

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey