• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Mike McKee

Rate this topic

Mike McKee was drafted in the 5th round in 2012 as a hulking defenseman, he is now listed at 6'5", 245 lbs. and it appears that Western Michigan University has been trying him as a forward. I've been hoping for him to be converted to forward since he was drafted. I believe this bodes well for McKee, as it should improve his chances in making it to the bigs. He should have a much better chance in making the NHL as a 4th line grinder than as a bottom pair defenseman.

I don't know much about McKee other than what I've read but I've heard he is a decent skater with a booming shot and anyone that knows anything about this guy, knows he can fight. He could be exactly what this team has been lacking since the Kocur / McCarty days. Anyone think it is possible he could make this team as a role player / 4th line grinder in the next few years?

If he made it to the NHL I believe the heavyweight belt would be back where a the JLA where it belongs. If he is a decent skater to boot then I'm sold. Babs and Holland love skaters, regardless whether they can score or not so he should be fine.

Future champ.

Hope he can develop some skill at forward & make the big club in that role instead of as a d-man based on the comments heard about Babcock not wanting d-men to fight, leaving the team down a man on the blue line. Plus how great would it be to have him screening goalies on a nightly basis?

If he made it to the NHL I believe the heavyweight belt would be back where a the JLA where it belongs. If he is a decent skater to boot then I'm sold. Babs and Holland love skaters, regardless whether they can score or not so he should be fine.

Future champ.

Future champ.

Cant say I disagree. Hes got size that most NHL heabyweights nowadays dont. Realistically, how many players in the NHL are even his size?

The crazy thing is that hes supposedly a fitness freak and his weight is muscle, not Byfuglien weight. Im glad he went to college so he can develop some skill, his mean streak is always going to be there and hes had plenty experience fighting. He needs to work on his puck skill and skating

I'll be amazed if this guy ever plays a single game in the NHL. The only positives I've seen attributed to this guy are his size and fighting ability, neither of which are in high demand from our management. I think he gets lost along the way unless he finds another element to his game.

I'll be amazed if this guy ever plays a single game in the NHL. The only positives I've seen attributed to this guy are his size and fighting ability, neither of which are in high demand from our management. I think he gets lost along the way unless he finds another element to his game.

Hes fast as well. Apparently not even jst fast for his size but in general can fly in and forecheck hard. That alone keeps me interested. Yeah if he was his size and slow as molasses I wuoldnt have any hope but being able to use him as a 13th forward to go crush dmen for 7 mins a game would be pretty awesome to watch

he better develop some skills, because as long as Babcock is our coach, this type of player will never be on our team...unfortunately...I for one am rooting for Big Mike to make it to GR after college, then be up within 3 years of that in Detroit...

pretty sure I read an article where Babcock was praising him.

The funny part is, when guys like Holland are saying...ya well developing size and toughness takes time to develop

on the other hand Burke, Bergevin are going outthere and fix something like this in weeks / months.

I personally can't wait to see this monster with the big club, he will bring some serious needed entertainment factor to this team and will keep guys like Neil, Cowen, Getzlaf and even Kassasian honest.

the top belt needs to come back, where it belongs the days of Probi, Kocur and DMac have been gone for far too long, revival team. McKee + Bordelau on the fourth line and the softish Wingsfeeling will be gone do it Holland

If ultimately the guy can play on the 3rd or 4th line, and produce with something other than his fists, then I'd welcome him with open arms.

If he's a cement head who can only fight, like Colton Orr, or a zillion others of that particular ilk ... I don't care if he's the toughest hombre in the history of the NHL. I don't want him on my team.

The funny part is, when guys like Holland are saying...ya well developing size and toughness takes time to develop

on the other hand Burke, Bergevin are going outthere and fix something like this in weeks / months.

I personally can't wait to see this monster with the big club, he will bring some serious needed entertainment factor to this team and will keep guys like Neil, Cowen, Getzlaf and even Kassasian honest.

Yeah, if only we had Burke as our Gm!??? Really? He goes "out there and fix something like this in weeks / months?" You must have missed some of his earlier resume.

Yeah, if only we had Burke as our Gm!??? Really? He goes "out there and fix something like this in weeks / months?" You must have missed some of his earlier resume.

Did I say I want him as the GM ? ******* no, but the truth of the matter is making a team tougher to play against, doesn't take "years of development" it can be done much faster. Flames gone out and got Westgarth now they have a one two punch on the fourth line, are you telling me Holland isn't able to find a cheap (6 round + player) that could something more than our current fourth line currently provides? I don't think so, if Bergevin and Burke can find these guys Hollabnd should be able to pull something so simple off too.

Truth is nobody other than the scout stuff really knows, how far awaay McKee is, so waiting for him to develop and not doing anything doesn't help in such an easy to fix team weakness.

the top belt needs to come back, where it belongs the days of Probi, Kocur and DMac have been gone for far too long, revival team. McKee + Bordelau on the fourth line and the softish Wingsfeeling will be gone do it Holland

Developing size and toughness does take time. Burke doesn't develop anything. He overpays for "grit and truculence" and depletes roster depth.

What exactly has Bergevin done?? Acquired an injury-prone Parros who's played 10 games and has had his worst season to date?

Can't always look for the quick fix. If it was that simple everyone would do it.

Looking forward to some of these gritty prospects we have coming up.

Did I say I want him as the GM ?f****** no, but the truth of the matter is making a team tougher to play against, doesn't take "years of development" it can be done much faster. Flames gone out and got Westgarth now they have a one two punch on the fourth line, are you telling me Holland isn't able to find a cheap (6 round + player) that could something more than our current fourth line currently provides? I don't think so, if Bergevin and Burke can find these guys Hollabnd should be able to pull something so simple off too.

Truth is nobody other than the scout stuff really knows, how far awaay McKee is, so waiting for him to develop and not doing anything doesn't help in such an easy to fix team weakness.

Yes, but you claimed a preference for the way the Burke does things. It's not really that different. The flames have lost 8 of the last 10 so they should probably worrying about other things than a couple of tough guys. Holland is not going to get those kinds of guys not because he can't pull it off - it's just not how he builds a team; he has shown it's not a priority for him.

Yes, but you claimed a preference for the way the Burke does things. It's not really that different. The flames have lost 8 of the last 10 so they should probably worrying about other things than a couple of tough guys. Holland is not going to get those kinds of guys not because he can't pull it off - it's just not how he builds a team; he has shown it's not a priority for him.

See we are talking about fourth line players here, so it really isn't that big of a deal and guess what I would move heaven and earth just to change our fourth line to theirs, at the Flames fourth line is entertaining ours is well....******* disgusting they don't provide skill, they aren't a shutdown line so I don#t know what their job really is..

The Flames were supposed to be bad and they will be for a few more years, so I'm not surprised. When people are talking about Bergevin they only mention Parros but how about Brandon Prust ? the guy is making 2,5 m and is and unreal hard and soul player, Parros has a horrible season yes but nobody could know that would happen, btw. he won his first fight against Orr so he is still a tough hombre.

If McKee doesn't get a chance then I'm really starting to questioning wheter this management has a plan for the fourth line, I HIGHLY doubt there will be anyone like him in a few years. If he could become some sort of younger, bigger Shawn Thornton I'd be incredible happy with that.

I believe it's more effective to fill the 4th line with guys who can skate, kill penalties and be defensively responsible. (Miller, Glendening, Sheahan, Andersson)

Load the top 3 lines with offensive and 2-way players. Save their energy for even strength and PP.

56 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

McKee just scored a career high points and played a career high AHL games. Time to finally sign him?

On 1/14/2014 at 1:38 AM, frankgrimes said:

If McKee doesn't get a chance then I'm really starting to questioning wheter this management has a plan for the fourth line

On 4/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, bIueadams said:

McKee just scored a career high points and played a career high AHL games. Time to finally sign him?

1 point in 9 games? I think you are looking at his ECHL stats: 26pts in 59 games for the Tulsa Oilers.

either way, do the Wings even own his rights any longer? it was 10 years ago they drafted him...

20 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

1 point in 9 games?

Career high AHL games!

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think you are looking at his ECHL stats: 26pts in 59 games for the Tulsa Oilers.

Career high ECHL points!

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

either way, do the Wings even own his rights any longer? it was 10 years ago they drafted him...

He's almost overripe - almost