• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RyaN_84

What is going on in Edmonton?

Rate this topic

Guest RyaN_84

i am sorry if there has already been a topic about this, but i just can't help but notice that the Edmonton Oilers are dead last in the Wes in points. Since the season after their Stanley Cup Final in 2006, they've been near dead last in the western conference and as a result of that have failed to qualify for the playoffs.
What is going on with this team? What is it about this team that has them not performing well at all? Are they drafting the wrong players? Or just no team chemistry at all? Someone help me here i'm having trouble understand this.

Care to share your thoughts.

I just can't with this..it's mindboggling!

Edited by RyaN_84

A player like Jagr or Alfredsson would have suited them this past offseason. There is also an obvious lack of goaltending in their system that has gone unfixed for too long, and they have had their opportunities. Maybe it's the coaching, maybe it's the management, but Kylee above pretty much summed it up. Edmonton is a mess.

Couple of things:

1. Rookie GM stating he would be bold things, well it takes two to make a trade and if he doesn't want to get rid off one of the younger guys for defensive help, there isn't much for him to do.

2. Six Rings Kewin Lowe - if he would really know something about winning (in his position), things would already be better for them.

3. Rookie Coach who doesn't respect tradition, thinks he has to reinvent every wheel

4. maybe the most important thing: they aren't drafting BPAs needwise. Instead of trading down and getting another pick in the process picking another forward with KHL possibilities has was just dumb. Why not go for defensive help and add another nice pick for forward depth?

plus they aren't tough enough to play against, Gazdic doesn't get enough icetime for what he brings and waiving Bigmac clearly didn't help their toughness.

1. Should have taken Seguin over Hall

2. Should have taken Landeskog over RNH

It's tough because of the pressure to take the other players. They would have been better off with the #2 pick.

I think Hemsky and Ganger get dealt this year and McT needs to swap Hall, Eberle, or RNH for an equally skilled defensmen.

How about Hall for Gardiner?

They're loaded with front end, top six, talent and have nothing for depth, goaltending, or defense. Nail's got no value anymore because he's a prick, Gagner has moderate value, while Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins still have a lot of value. They realistically need to trade one or two of these in order to fill out a real team. I'd probably trade Nugent-Hopkins and Nail. Keep Hall, Gagner, and Eberle as the starting point for your forward ranks and go from there.

They have done relatively well drafting in the first round, with their early picks, but have been atrocious at developing players drafted in later rounds. Couple that with the fact that top free agents don't want to sign with a losing team and you have a recipe for disaster.

The oilers rebuild reminds me somewhat of the Toronto rebuild, both teams have hinted for years about trading their veterans but neither team ever pulled the trigger. Which IMHO slowed the Toronto rebuild and has been a drag on the Edmonton rebuild as well.

Guest Crymson

i am sorry if there has already been a topic about this, but i just can't help but notice that the Edmonton Oilers are dead last in the Wes in points. Since the season after their Stanley Cup Final in 2006, they've been near dead last in the western conference and as a result of that have failed to qualify for the playoffs.

What is going on with this team? What is it about this team that has them not performing well at all? Are they drafting the wrong players? Or just no team chemistry at all? Someone help me here i'm having trouble understand this.

Care to share your thoughts.

I just can't with this..it's mindboggling!

Horrible management, poor draft selections. They drafted forwards with all three first-overall picks they've had in the past four seasons, and they have consistently failed to provide sufficient veteran or physical presence, to ice a viable defensive corps, or to sign a reliable goaltender. The result is a very soft and inexperienced team that gives up goals in droves.

To make matters worse on the defensive front, Smid---undoubtedly the team's best defensive defenseman---was traded recently for peanuts in order to make room for Bryzgalov. That's just one example of how awful the management has been over the past six years. Others included trading Pronger for a wholly insufficient package, dealing Smyth for the same, and flubbing a trade of Comrie for Perry by insisting that the Ducks reimburse the Oilers for Perry's signing bonus. And so on. This only includes the mistakes that were made over Kevin Lowe. The Oilers are currently on their second incompetent GM since Lowe was sacked; Tambellini was horrible too.

Edited by Crymson

Horrible management, poor draft selections. They drafted forwards with all three first-overall picks they've had in the past four seasons, and they have consistently failed to provide sufficient veteran or physical presence, to ice a viable defensive corps, or to sign a reliable goaltender. The result is a very soft and inexperienced team that gives up goals in droves.

To make matters worse on the defensive front, Smid---undoubtedly the team's best defensive defenseman---was traded recently for peanuts in order to make room for Bryzgalov. That's just one example of how awful the management has been over the past six years. Others included trading Pronger for a wholly insufficient package, dealing Smyth for the same, and flubbing a trade of Comrie for Perry by insisting that the Ducks reimburse the Oilers for Perry's signing bonus. And so on. This only includes the mistakes that were made over Kevin Lowe. The Oilers are currently on their second incompetent GM since Lowe was sacked; Tambellini was horrible too.

To make matters worse for the

You can't put too much blame on the Edm staff for the Pronger fiasco. That was just a bad situation Pronger and his family put them in.

As others have said, they have drafted top end talent, rushed them into the NHL, didn't provide good leadership (Hemsky leadershipr lol), and nver did anything to address their defense or goalie situation.

Guest Crymson

You can't put too much blame on the Edm staff for the Pronger fiasco. That was just a bad situation Pronger and his family put them in.

As others have said, they have drafted top end talent, rushed them into the NHL, didn't provide good leadership (Hemsky leadershipr lol), and nver did anything to address their defense or goalie situation.

Plenty of blame could be put on the Edmonton staff for that affair. Pronger was one of the best defensemen in the league. Regardless of his stated wish to depart, Edmonton could have asked for and received quite a bit more from any number of teams. In the event, Lowe not only got the massively short end of the stick; he also blew most of the assets Edmonton had gotten in return. This really was a microcosm of how awful Edmonton's management and coaching have been.

The return for Pronger was Smid, Lupul, Anaheim's first rounder in 2007, Anaheim's second-rounder in 2008, and a conditional 2008 first-rounder that the Oilers ended up receiving. The Oilers promptly traded away that first-rounder for the Coyotes' first-rounder in 2008, a pick that Edmonton wasted on Riley Nash, whom they later traded away for a second-round draft pick that they wasted on a bad prospect. Lupul was traded, along with Jason Smith, to the Flyers in exchange for Pitkanen and Sanderson. Sanderson was indisputably on the tail end of his career, and Pitkanen proceeded to have an awful season with the Oilers. The former retired soon after the trade, whilst the latter was traded after one season to Carolina for Erik Cole. Cole proceeded to have an awful season, at which point the Oilers traded him back to Carolina for Patrick O'Sullivan in a three-way deal. O'Sullivan sucked, so the Oilers waived him, and he was picked up by the Wild. Meanwhile, the Oilers traded away that Anaheim second-round pick to the Islanders for a useless player and a third-round draft pick (later used to select another useless player). The 2008 first-rounder was used to select Jordan Eberle.

In sum, in exchange for a world-class defenseman who was at the time one of the best in the game, the Oilers got Ladislav Smid and a pick that became Jordan Eberle. They recently traded away Smid for peanuts, so now they're left with Eberle. He's a good scorer, mind you, but he didn't come into the league until four years after the trade, and didn't start producing until a year later. Meanwhile, Edmonton was deprived of a sorely-needed superstar and defensive pivot who had been the heart and soul of their Stanley Cup run in the previous season.

Bear in mind that this saga occurred across three different GMs, including the one currently in office. Pretty terrible, huh?

Edited by Crymson

Guest RyaN_84

well you would think that with a young team filled with good young talent like eberle, hall, yakapov, petry, nugent-hopkins , justin schultz, ryan jones and a few others mixed with players with years of experience like nick schultz, david perron, bryzgalov, hemsky, andrew ference...the team looks good but the last couple years they have just fell flat. again i am not understanding this at all.

Edited by RyaN_84

1. Should have taken Seguin over Hall

2. Should have taken Landeskog over RNH

It's tough because of the pressure to take the other players. They would have been better off with the #2 pick.

I think Hemsky and Ganger get dealt this year and McT needs to swap Hall, Eberle, or RNH for an equally skilled defensmen.

How about Hall for Gardiner?

Hall for gardiner?? Wtf .... Edmonton gets raped big time if they do that deal ..... And seguin is awesome but so is hall so i think it's way too soon to say who they should of taken, hall can be a 40+ guy one day

Problem with Edmonton is they got no A+ defensive prospect beside nurse and they been drafting same type of guys and they need a goalie and some better veterans than smyth and hemsky .... So ya a lot of problems lol

There management has been awful for a long time. Smid was there best d-man and was traded away for nothing when the team lacks d something terrible a move that made zero sense. They could have filled their goalie need by putting Yak on the market. And it's a toss up over who is the bigger idiot Mac T or Lowe

Ilya Bryzgalov is their goalie. They have no defense, and no conception of how to play it. They have no bottom six. They have a high-powered but young and one-dimensional top six. They have no veteran leadership. They have no size. They have no edge. Their GM is a proud, stubborn, narcissistic dinosaur. Etc.

Clarification: by "GM" I mean Kevin Lowe. I don't know what his Official Title is.

Edited by Dabura

I was curious about this as well. According to the Oilers' 2013-14 Media Guide, Kevin Lowe is:

President of Hockey Operations & Alternate Governor

Whatever.

According to a fine article from the Edmonton Journal, team owner Daryl Katz will soon be rolling in it:

Under terms of Rogers Communications’ blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion deal to secure exclusive Canadian TV rights to the National Hockey League announced last month, the Oilers will receive $8.9 million a year, starting with the 2014-2015 season.

That’s nearly 50 per cent more than Katz will fork out in annual lease payments for the new arena, which is slated to open in time for the 2016-17 NHL season.

If you tack on the so-far undisclosed sum Katz Group will receive for naming rights to the new building — as part of a related $700-million investment Rogers will make in Alberta — his net costs shrink even further.

Nothing worse than trying to keep any arena filled, lei alone a new one, especially when the on-ice product isn't worth watching. Then again, they have about three seasons to try to turn it around before the new ice opens up.

One more thing: Rogers Communications is the work of the Devil.

I wonder if people on other forums have started threads the last two years asking, "What's Going on in Detroit". They used to be good, etc. :hehe:

As for Edmonton, it's pretty much what people have said. They tried going the Blackhawks way of rebuilding, but haven't had the fortune to get players like Toews or Kane in the draft. Their free agent signings also haven't turned out well (see final paragraph). The problem with having a popular former player running the organization is that he gets too much immunity. Lowe has been terrible for years.

Also, let's say it like it is. Not many players want to play in Edmonton or live in Edmonton. Neither do their families. This isn't the 80's. There's a lot more markets for players to choose from. Hence, it's harder to lure top free agents there.

Am I the only one that has a gut feeling someday Franzen will end up in Edmonton? I honestly don't know why and I've never heard any rumors of it, but I think Franzen and a prospect go Edmonton's way for a high first rounder soon. That'd be a trade that work out for both sides I think. I don't know, just a feeling I got last year and still have.