Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

It's defence as a whole.

- Worst goaltending in the NHL

- Worst group of defencemen in the NHL

- Horrendous at faceoffs. (Nugent-Hopkins is 40%)

- undersized forwards can't handle defensive responsibilities.

- Kevin Lowe is STILL involved.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#22 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

There management has been awful for a long time. Smid was there best d-man and was traded away for nothing when the team lacks d something terrible a move that made zero sense. They could have filled their goalie need by putting Yak on the market. And it's a toss up over who is the bigger idiot Mac T or Lowe 

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Ilya Bryzgalov is their goalie. They have no defense, and no conception of how to play it. They have no bottom six. They have a high-powered but young and one-dimensional top six. They have no veteran leadership. They have no size. They have no edge. Their GM is a proud, stubborn, narcissistic dinosaur. Etc.

Clarification: by "GM" I mean Kevin Lowe. I don't know what his Official Title is.

Edited by Dabura, 11 January 2014 - 09:40 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

I was curious about this as well. According to the Oilers' 2013-14 Media Guide, Kevin Lowe is:

President of Hockey Operations & Alternate Governor  

Whatever.

According to a fine article from the Edmonton Journal, team owner Daryl Katz will soon be rolling in it: 

Under terms of Rogers Communications’ blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion deal to secure exclusive Canadian TV rights to the National Hockey League announced last month, the Oilers will receive $8.9 million a year, starting with the 2014-2015 season.

That’s nearly 50 per cent more than Katz will fork out in annual lease payments for the new arena, which is slated to open in time for the 2016-17 NHL season.

If you tack on the so-far undisclosed sum Katz Group will receive for naming rights to the new building — as part of a related $700-million investment Rogers will make in Alberta — his net costs shrink even further.

Nothing worse than trying to keep any arena filled, lei alone a new one, especially when the on-ice product isn't worth watching. Then again, they have about three seasons to try to turn it around before the new ice opens up.

One more thing: Rogers Communications is the work of the Devil.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I wonder if people on other forums have started threads the last two years asking, "What's Going on in Detroit".  They used to be good, etc.   :hehe:

As for Edmonton, it's pretty much what people have said.  They tried going the Blackhawks way of rebuilding, but haven't had the fortune to get players like Toews or Kane in the draft. Their free agent signings also haven't turned out well (see final paragraph).  The problem with having a popular former player running the organization is that he gets too much immunity. Lowe has been terrible for years.  

Also, let's say it like it is.  Not many players want to play in Edmonton or live in Edmonton.  Neither do their families.  This isn't the 80's.  There's a lot more markets for players to choose from.  Hence, it's harder to lure top free agents there.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Am I the only one that has a gut feeling someday Franzen will end up in Edmonton? I honestly don't know why and I've never heard any rumors of it, but I think Franzen and a prospect go Edmonton's way for a high first rounder soon. That'd be a trade that work out for both sides I think. I don't know, just a feeling I got last year and still have.

#27 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Plenty of blame could be put on the Edmonton staff for that affair. Pronger was one of the best defensemen in the league. Regardless of his stated wish to depart, Edmonton could have asked for and received quite a bit more from any number of teams. In the event, Lowe not only got the massively short end of the stick; he also blew most of the assets Edmonton had gotten in return. This really was a microcosm of how awful Edmonton's management and coaching have been.

The return for Pronger was Smid, Lupul, Anaheim's first rounder in 2007, Anaheim's second-rounder in 2008, and a conditional 2008 first-rounder that the Oilers ended up receiving. The Oilers promptly traded away that first-rounder for the Coyotes' first-rounder in 2008, a pick that Edmonton wasted on Riley Nash, whom they later traded away for a second-round draft pick that they wasted on a bad prospect. Lupul was traded, along with Jason Smith, to the Flyers in exchange for Pitkanen and Sanderson. Sanderson was indisputably on the tail end of his career, and Pitkanen proceeded to have an awful season with the Oilers. The former retired soon after the trade, whilst the latter was traded after one season to Carolina for Erik Cole. Cole proceeded to have an awful season, at which point the Oilers traded him back to Carolina for Patrick O'Sullivan in a three-way deal. O'Sullivan sucked, so the Oilers waived him, and he was picked up by the Wild. Meanwhile, the Oilers traded away that Anaheim second-round pick to the Islanders for a useless player and a third-round draft pick (later used to select another useless player). The 2008 first-rounder was used to select Jordan Eberle.

In sum, in exchange for a world-class defenseman who was at the time one of the best in the game, the Oilers got Ladislav Smid and a pick that became Jordan Eberle. They recently traded away Smid for peanuts, so now they're left with Eberle. He's a good scorer, mind you, but he didn't come into the league until four years after the trade, and didn't start producing until a year later. Meanwhile, Edmonton was deprived of a sorely-needed superstar and defensive pivot who had been the heart and soul of their Stanley Cup run in the previous season.

Bear in mind that this saga occurred across three different GMs, including the one currently in office. Pretty terrible, huh?

I cannot blame Edm for the initial Pronger trade. After the initial trade go right ahead.

The cap in 06-07 was only $44M and Pronger had a cap hit of $6.25M at that time. That is a lot of cap space for one person in which not many teams could accommodate without giving up signification depth. When a team is forced to move a player of Pronger's caliber after one year, very successful at that, the price tag goes down. Could they have gotten better if the trade wasn't forced? Yeah maybe. But they did get a 22 y/o 28G scorer and a 1st round pick as part of the package. 

After the trade on how they utilized the assets, that's on Edm.

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Has this been mentioned?

The Craig MacTavish Interview, part 1: "I'm not arguing that we're close. We're not." (Edmonton Journal)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

According to owner Daryl Katz' open letter, "Official Oilers Torches & Pitchforks" won't be for sale...not just yet.

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

What is going on in detroit?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#31 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Well, we are tied with Dallas and Edmonton at 17 in giving up goals in the last minute of a period.

So... yeah...

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

It's defence as a whole.

- Worst goaltending in the NHL

- Worst group of defencemen in the NHL

- Horrendous at faceoffs. (Nugent-Hopkins is 40%)

- undersized forwards can't handle defensive responsibilities.

- Kevin Lowe is STILL involved.

I think this sums things up quite well.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Ownership "we're sorry, we're really, really sorry" letters are really, really sad. Katz is just looking down the road, when that brand spanking new arena complex is built, trying to make sure NOW that he hasn't pizzed off part of his loyal season ticket holder base and forcing him later to scramble to find people with pulses who will buy tickets.