• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Cleary should be suspended for elbow to head

Rate this topic

This may be unpopular to some for this statement, but Cleary's elbow to Hannon's head last night disgusted me and he should be suspended. After losing Dats and Mule to concussions, this really has no place in the game. Sure those other other guys didn't get suspended, but 2 wrongs don't make it right. It's hard to say suspend one of your own, but I think it needs to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoprTBjKoWo

I completely agree with you, and I hope that this doesn't become a thread full of posts saying suspend Cleary because it'll get him out of the lineup, rather than acknowledging the fact that there is no place in the game for stuff like this.

He should get a game or two because he clearly targeted the elbow at the head area. Eventually I think Shanny is gonna have to send a message here at some point and suspend someone long term. Otherwise someone's gonna get seriously hurt if not killed.

The onus is also on the guys getting him though too. Too many times you see guys turning to face the boards just before they get hit.

They said it via commentation last night that they thought he may be suspended for it. Balant chickenwing out to the head, can't explain anything remotely close to a hockey play in that situation. Clears lost his cool as did many of his teammates last night. For a change they showed some passion, but unfortunately in the worst way.

Definitely what the league is trying to prevent. No reason for Cleary to make that dangerous cheap shot. It was clearly done out of frustration and was not accidental.

As far as the losing another person on the roster, are we losing anyone? Cleary is obviously the weakest forward (and second weakest player overall to Quincey). I can't wait for another Griffin to show up Cleary and the mistake that was his resigning.

...I'll go back to the Dan Cleary hate zone thread now.

How come when our guys get frustrated and lose their cool now they just end up doing dumb s***.

What happened to the Wings of a few years ago? When those guys got frustrated, they came at you hard and physical, but clean, and used the anger as motivation to put up a few points.

Now they just either give up, or do stupid s*** and take penalties and dig their hole deeper.

Yes, before this spins out of control as another Cleary bash fest let's focus on the topic here and redirect any aggressiveness towards him back to the Cleary Hate Thread. This is about the possibility of suspension from the elbow in question, it doesn't need to be derailed further than that.

I believe it is absolutely suspendable, and there is no reason why he shouldn't get at least two games for it. Even as a Wings fan that generally defends the actions of the team, logically there really is no way to write this one off.

I for one would be surprised if he skated away from this without penalty.

i think cleary deserves to be suspended for a few games for sure. and that definitely makes me happy because we are better without him. i hope he gets a few games an the team plays well and babcock and holland finally see he is part of the problem not the solution.

additionally, for all the talk about cleary being a character guy and a great locker room guy and a great veteran presence, i think its fitting he committed the douchiest act a wings player has committed in recent memory.

Odd situation here, since Hannan/McLellan won't receive fines for the instigator in the last 5 mins. Do I believe they should be? No. However, I don't like that the NHL basically operates under however they are feeling and ignoring rules that are in place. Either have the rule on the books and enforce it, or take it off the books.

I guess the way the rule is written they are allowed to do that, but I still don't like it simply because I don't have to. Heh.

Edited by rrasco

I'm proud of Dano. He actually gives a damn and increased our fight count. I just wish he did it to Pavelski or Jumbo Joke.

Also, I liked what Hannan did, getting up and retaliating. Our milksop players wouldn't have done that. And Hannan is far from a fighter.

I'm proud of Dano. He actually gives a damn and increased our fight count. I just wish he did it to Pavelski or Jumbo Joke.

Also, I liked what Hannan did, getting up and retaliating. Our milksop players wouldn't have done that. And Hannan is far from a fighter.

Why? Why would you want him to injure a skilled player when Cleary is barely a 4th line player?

This is the kind of BS that needs to stop in the league... help me understand why elbowing Joe in the head is ok?

How come when our guys get frustrated and lose their cool now they just end up doing dumb s***.

What happened to the Wings of a few years ago? When those guys got frustrated, they came at you hard and physical, but clean, and used the anger as motivation to put up a few points.

Now they just either give up, or do stupid s*** and take penalties and dig their hole deeper.

Besides hank and Z, and maybe helm we just don't have the skill we used to to make them pay legit anymore.

Cheapshot from Cleary... there is no place for that in the NHL...

Here's the problem: Things like this will continue because the league isn't serious about policing itself. Time and time again it's either no hearing or a BS fine. The only solution at this point is to get rid of the instigator rule and let teams police themselves. It will make for some all-out donnybrooks initially, but will even itself out eventually.

I must admit I am shocked at how deplorable Shanahan is at this job, whether it's his own incompetence or the higher powers that be. I really thought Shanny was a perfect choice for the position given the way he played, but he's either stunningly inadequate or a mere figurehead. Just do away with the whole dog-and-pony show already and get on with the game.

Why? Why would you want him to injure a skilled player when Cleary is barely a 4th line player?

This is the kind of BS that needs to stop in the league... help me understand why elbowing Joe in the head is ok?

Because he's a diving punk who is a bad example for the game.

Cleary is not a dirty player. He just made a careless play being the uncoordinated person that he is.

Stupid play by Cleary. suspended not even close but a real gutless puke of a thing to do yes. Hats off to Hannon for not rolling around on the ice like a little girl and wanting to tear Cleary's head off. This is just another sign that Cleary is done.