• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LAWings

Cleary should be suspended for elbow to head

Rate this topic

Here's the problem: Things like this will continue because the league isn't serious about policing itself. Time and time again it's either no hearing or a BS fine. The only solution at this point is to get rid of the instigator rule and let teams police themselves. It will make for some all-out donnybrooks initially, but will even itself out eventually.

I must admit I am shocked at how deplorable Shanahan is at this job, whether it's his own incompetence or the higher powers that be. I really thought Shanny was a perfect choice for the position given the way he played, but he's either stunningly inadequate or a mere figurehead. Just do away with the whole dog-and-pony show already and get on with the game.

I'm an advocate of getting rid of the instigator rule too, but do you really believe that it will even itself out? More and more now I am seeing players continually disrespect each others safety by ramming guys into the boards when they have their backs turned, giving out cheap shot elbows to the head, cross checks to vulnerable places etc etc. I understand that it gets heated, but still, this is ridiculous.

I now wonder that if you eliminate the instigator rule, whether we will see more and more incidents like the Brooks Orpik/Shawn Thornton fiasco, whereby a player lays a clean and great body check, only for the enforcer on the guy who got smoked's team to take matters into his own hands.

As such I'm not so sure whether we should get rid of it anymore. In other words, after the evidence of disrespect I've viewed this year, Im now on the fence.

I feel its definitely time for Shanny to send a proper message here with regard to these suspensions. Something bigger than what Raffi Torres got a couple years back. Part of me also wonders whether his hands are being tied by some higher power and that he wants to make these suspensions bigger.

I'm an advocate of getting rid of the instigator rule too, but do you really believe that it will even itself out? More and more now I am seeing players continually disrespect each others safety by ramming guys into the boards when they have their backs turned, giving out cheap shot elbows to the head, cross checks to vulnerable places etc etc. I understand that it gets heated, but still, this is ridiculous.

I now wonder that if you eliminate the instigator rule, whether we will see more and more incidents like the Brooks Orpik/Shawn Thornton fiasco, whereby a player lays a clean and great body check, only for the enforcer on the guy who got smoked's team to take matters into his own hands.

As such I'm not so sure whether we should get rid of it anymore. In other words, after the evidence of disrespect I've viewed this year, Im now on the fence.

I feel its definitely time for Shanny to send a proper message here with regard to these suspensions. Something bigger than what Raffi Torres got a couple years back. Part of me also wonders whether his hands are being tied by some higher power and that he wants to make these suspensions bigger.

I do think it will even itself out eventually. Of course it's just an opinion, but I have faith that the bedrock of the game will win out. Whatever anyone says, the league has completely lost control of the game and players have lost sight of what's decent. The mixed messages are giving me whiplash. The league claims to want headshots out of the game, yet does nothing to deter them. Players get upset about a good, clean check, yet see nothing wrong with Pronger Physics. At this point we really have nothing to lose with attempting to let the players sort it out themselves. Given the propensity for double standards or no standards at all, this is far from a perfect solution and will create some interesting circumstances certainly, but the status quo is even more unacceptable. The pendulum will have to swing in the opposite direction before it can reach the middle.

Stupid play by Cleary but he isn't a dirty player. If the league were really making a consistent effort to protect players heads then yes, Cleary should probably sit for a game. Or at least get a fine. But since Cowen wasn't suspended for his chicken wing on Dats, it's not surprising he didn't get anything.

Funny how people here suddenly wants to take a strong stand on blows to the head when Cleary is involved, but love it when Franzen suckerpunches a guy to the head.

Looked extremely cheap. Hannan wasn't injured only reason why cleary wasn't suspended. The nhl suspends guys for clean hits that result in injury yet if a cheapshot goes without injury they pass over it. Its ******* stupid.

Looked extremely cheap. Hannan wasn't injured only reason why cleary wasn't suspended. The nhl suspends guys for clean hits that result in injury yet if a cheapshot goes without injury they pass over it. Itsf****** stupid.

I really don't understand why the league seems to go lighter on elbows and stickwork to the head, when those are usually obvious dirty plays that have a clear intent to injure.

Most elbows or sticks to the head are not a hockey play gone bad, and should be among the easiest to crack down on and eliminate from the game.

I really don't understand why the league seems to go lighter on elbows and stickwork to the head, when those are usually obvious dirty plays that have a clear intent to injure.

Most elbows or sticks to the head are not a hockey play gone bad, and should be among the easiest to crack down on and eliminate from the game.

because there is an overall trend in sports against violence, they are attacking clean hits because cheap shots will always exist.

A dive doesn't. Diving over and over and over again deserves something akin to an elbow. Have you never watched Pavelski play?

Have you ever watched pavelski play? Cleary elbowed Hannan.

Even if it was pavelski, it's pretty sad that you think repeated dives deserve to be met with violence. Think about it for a moment. Is that something you would say to me if we had just met in a sports bar? I doubt it.

Even if it was pavelski, it's pretty sad that you think repeated dives deserve to be met with violence. Think about it for a moment. Is that something you would say to me if we had just met in a sports bar? I doubt it.

Yeah. I would tell you that I wish Cleary had elbowed Pavelski instead.

Have you ever watched Pavelski play? He's a diver.

Edited by GMRwings1983

If I had the opportunity I would elbow pavelski and couture in the face

Some of you need to grow a pair. Pavelski is one of the biggest diving babies in the game along with jumbo joke. They both need a good stick to the back of the legs or an elbow to the head. I would hate for some of you to actually sit down and watch some of the old games when elbowing was part of the game. You guys would faint like girls.

As far as Cleary. I was surprised he didn't get any games with the way this league is headed but oh well.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Some of you guy should not be allowed out in public. It's really embarrassing that a group of grown men think wanton violence is acceptable, especially as a response to a non-violent act.

@eirotwins: good for you. You should be proud of the fact that you would violently attack someone that has never done anything to you.

@F. Michael: you don't have to be quoting Shakespeare in order to act like a decent person. Calling for a violent attack on another person falls outside the realm of decency. Most people try to act decently when not hiding behind a screen-name. That was the point of the sports-bar analogy. You can substitute a sports bar with any other public setting in which people discuss sports.

@GMR: I wasn't sticking up for pavelski, I hate the guy. However, he hasn't done anything that warrants an elbow to the face.

Edited by The Greek

did cleary even get a talking to regarding this? i havent heard any news at all.

I think the talking to he's gotten here on LGW is worse than anything the league has done. :hehe:

Some of you guy should not be allowed out in public. It's really embarrassing that a group of grown men think wanton violence is acceptable, especially as a response to a non-violent act.

@eirotwins: good for you. You should be proud of the fact that you would violently attack someone that has never done anything to you.

@F. Michael: you don't have to be quoting Shakespeare in order to act like a decent person. Calling for a violent attack on another person falls outside the realm of decency. Most people try to act decently when not hiding behind a screen-name. That was the point of the sports-bar analogy. You can substitute a sports bar with any other public setting in which people discuss sports.

@GMR: I wasn't sticking up for pavelski, I hate the guy. However, he hasn't done anything that warrants an elbow to the face.

People act decently in bars? Not here in the Midwest they don't.